A new DS around the corner?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Komid
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

A new DS around the corner?

Post by Komid »

Long-awaited slimline Nintendo DS could hit shelves within weeks.

A number of independent sources have suggested that a redesigned version of Nintendo's DS console will be unveiled next week, with new more compact hardware expected to replace dwindling stocks of the current system.

Rumours of a redesigned DS have been circulating for several months, but received a boost last month when Japanese magazine Famitsu reported that a Nintendo hardware redesign was in the pipeline - which instantly suggests the DS, since the GameCube is to be replaced by the backwards-compatible Revolution later this year, and the GBA was redesigned as the Game Boy Micro only a few months ago.

Nintendo's US marketing manager Reggie Fils-Aime also confirmed late last year that a redesign of the DS was on the cards, and now leading Hong Kong based videogames import retailer Lik-Sang has reported that the new hardware will be unveiled on Monday in Japan.

Lik-Sang's report ties in with comments made by a Japanese retail source who spoke to GamesIndustry.biz this week, saying that stock levels of the Nintendo DS continue to be low in the wake of the console selling out over the New Year period, but that Nintendo representatives have advised them that a major announcement will be made shortly.

UK retailers we spoke to this afternoon, however, claimed to have heard no information from Nintendo regarding any imminent redesign or change to the Nintendo DS strategy in this territory, but were aware of persistent rumours of redesigned hardware, with one saying that he had heard from a major publisher that a new DS would be on shelves worldwide "by E3 at the latest" - referring to the major industry trade show which takes place in mid-May.

The move would make strategic sense for Nintendo, which has sold over 13 million units of the Nintendo DS worldwide in the past year, and is believed to have fairly low levels of stock of the existing hardware in the retail channel in most of its major markets at present.

It also ties in with the company's past behaviour - the GBA SP, a major redesign to the Game Boy Advance hardware, was also pushed into the marketplace early in the new year to capitalise on the low stocks of existing hardware after the holiday season.

Nintendo itself has yet to comment on the rumours, and is unlikely to do so until an official announcement is made in Japan next week.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=14035
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

Damn! and I just bought one the other day; If I had known they were planning a smaller one, I would have waited...

I just hope that while smaller, the redesigned ds will retain the same features of the regular one...and that it is cheaper
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

[nods] This is part of why I've been holding off on getting an M3. I love my DS, but the physical design is kind of clunky...and I know I will trade it in if they release a new form factor I like better. And before dropping the money on an M3, I want to make sure it will be compatible with the system I end up with.

There have been rumors foating around about the new version having VoIP capabilities built in, and being "cell phone inspired" in design, like a cross between the Micro and the GBASP. It'll be interesting to see what becomes of that.

I still think the original design of the GBA was the best version of that system, though. It felt the best, and with the proper add-ons (namely, Afterburner, and the Pelican battery pak & rubberized grip backing--Quzar can tell you what I'm talking about), it lacks no features compared to the others. It's far more comfortable than either the Micro or the SP, the Afterburner rules out the screen argument, and you don't have to worry about headphone dongles and custom batteries (SP) or not being able to play classic Gameboy games (Micro).
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

I'm scared. I hope this new DS isn't going to make me jealous and give me this idea in the back of my mind that my new DS is really a peice of obsolete junk now. I'll be pissed if the new DS gets VoIP capabilities for online games but us with original DS systems don't.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Whew! And I just about bought a new DS with my tax money! I'm glad I decided to buy a better video card instead, cause I would have been pissed if they announced a new one a week after I just bought one.

And this is also what bothers me about Nintendo. Like the article said, they have a habit of releasing new versions of systems right after the holidays when the stock is low. I would hate to get a DS for Christmas just to find out a better one is coming out a month later, just like I was pissed when they announced the Micro about 2 months after finally buying an SP.
Bertrude
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Bertrude »

If they don't make the new one more comfy to hold, they need a slap. If they do, I guess I'll settle with jealosy.

I love my DS but the ergonomics are pants. The bottom corners always dig in to my hands too much.

I agree about the original GBA, much better to hold. And I preferred the D-Pad to the clicky one in the DS too.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

ive held off on getting a DS as i didnt like the launch games, but DS gaming seems to be getting a lot better. If the slim modle is cheaps too i migh tjust look into getting one.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

Wow I better unload my blue DS while I can still get some money for it :-D
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
HomerCIDAL
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by HomerCIDAL »

W00T!!! I like the DS, but it really is a bit too bulky. I guess I've become spoiled with my GBA Micro, but a smaller DS would be really nice!
compacho
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by compacho »

I love my DS. Even though its bulky, i still love the design. Like a mixture of old and new. But yeah, it's hard to hold.

These reasons will prolly make me trade in my DS:

If they make pictochat wifi compatible
If the buttons are closer to the screen
better to hold
If they can include another slot for a DS game. (shouldn't be too hard)
They remove those rubber contacts under the DS or make them smaller
The screens are closer together
And finally, that it looks good. (Most likely, it'll resemble the revolution)
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by Nick »

Maybe they'll make the system fun to play this time around. Oh, and to add to that fun, make my fingers not cramp from the bullshit buttons.
Very sexy hero, omg
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

Nick wrote:Maybe they'll make the system fun to play this time around. Oh, and to add to that fun, make my fingers not cramp from the bullcrap buttons.
you have issues.

the ds is a blast to play.

/me goes back to his nintendog
compacho
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by compacho »

Here's a quick mockup I thought i'd make before the new one is shown. Kinda inspired by the Sidekick.

Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

compacho wrote:Here's a quick mockup I thought i'd make before the new one is shown. Kinda inspired by the Sidekick.

Exposed screen is something that I consider a stepback from a clamshell. I don't want my expensive portables getting their screens scuffed up. Not too bad other than that, though the ergonomics aren't any better.

I think I mentioned this, but the things I'd like to see if they upgrade the DS:

-Bit more comfortable.
-Bigger buttons and d-pad
-Buttons closer to screen might be good too, especially for Jump Superstarsish games that use the screen for extra buttons
-Improved pictochat would be nice, but not a deal maker/breaker.
-I'd like a BUILT-IN web browser, as opposed to WiFi pictochat
-Low price point
-Equal sized or bigger screen

I won't tolerate a smaller screen, less comfortable unit (like the SP is compared to the GBA), or lower battery life. I also would be unhappy if they took out GBA playback (perhaps unlikely, since they have the rumble pack and Band Bros. expansion pack already). I need VERY significant improvements, or a low price point, to get me to buy this. I also think Nintendo might be pushing their luck with a redesign less than 18 months after launch....
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

As long as they keep the clamshell style and make it as bulletproof as the rest of their handhelds...I'll probably pick one up for the summer
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

If it were any skinnier I probably wouldn't like it anyway. My fingers are already cramping up from the original DS because it's so skinny and awkward.
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by arrowhead »

Its just that the buttons are too close to the edge of the machine. If they were closer to the screen id wouldnt be so cramped. I know no one wants a bigger DS, so maybe they should sell something like a joysick handle for it to make the buttons more comfortable and further apart from the edge of the DS.
Shut that cunts mouth before I come over there and fuck start her head
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

arrowhead wrote:Its just that the buttons are too close to the edge of the machine. If they were closer to the screen id wouldnt be so cramped. I know no one wants a bigger DS, so maybe they should sell something like a joysick handle for it to make the buttons more comfortable and further apart from the edge of the DS.
Ah, that would make Super Mario 64 DS 100% easier.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

arrowhead wrote:Its just that the buttons are too close to the edge of the machine. If they were closer to the screen id wouldnt be so cramped. I know no one wants a bigger DS, so maybe they should sell something like a joysick handle for it to make the buttons more comfortable and further apart from the edge of the DS.
There are third party versions of that.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.