DC Save Converter v1.0 released

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
bucanero
DC Developer
DC Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

DC Save Converter v1.0 released

Post by bucanero »

This new Win32 GUI tool I?ve just released will help those who want to easily convert Dreamcast savefiles from .DCI, .VMI/VMS or plain raw saves to PlanetWeb?s .VMI/VMS format or Nexus .DCI format.
You're also allowed to edit the file's attributes like name, date, copy protected flag, etc.
As an added bonus, this tool allows to extract the VMU icons and save them as animated .GIF files, so they can be used in webpages.

More info and download links here: http://www.bucanero.com.ar/verpost.php?id_noticia=185

hrb2k3
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by hrb2k3 »

another great VMU app!! i don't have a use for it now, but i know somewhere down the line i will use it. thanx.
DC FoReVeR.!!!
Evil_Ernie
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Evil_Ernie »

sweeeeet )()( another kick ass proggy bucanero, thnx 4 sharing the love and keep up the awesome work :D
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Neat.

Question for possible feature.
I'm not sure how difficult hex editting a pal save to work on ntsc is, but for people that think it might be too hard, would it be possible for an ntsc<-->pal save conversion? I know that with shenmue if you started on an ntsc copy and wanted to transfer that over onto shenmue 2 but could only get the pal version, you need to hex edit it to work on the pal copy. You with me? :P

Would be a neat feature, if possible.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
HomerCIDAL
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by HomerCIDAL »

Where do you get the cable to connect the VMU to a PC? Or is it one you have to build?
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Cid Highwind »

Does this also work with Chankast?
You feel at ease as you flock with the masses,
What do you see with your heads in their asses?
Keep on railing at what I believe,
Call me insane and I am proud to be.

--Edguy - King of Fools--

My blog
bucanero
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by bucanero »

Ross L. wrote:Looks neat. Too bad I don't have a VMU to PC cable to test it out with. :(
Well, actually this tool does not require any kind of cable, you can upload the converted saves to any webspace and then use a Dreamcast browser like PlanetWeb or DreamPassport to download them. (And it will work just fine with the 56k modem.)
I'm not sure how difficult hex editting a pal save to work on ntsc is, but for people that think it might be too hard, would it be possible for an ntsc<-->pal save conversion?
Well, this is not possible, at least not in a way that it could convert any PAL save <-> NTSC, because each save has its own format and unless you know exactly how should be converted, the conversion will fail and the save wont work at all.
For many games, the only difference between a PAL and a NTSC save its the filename, but for other games the saves are different and must be hex edited/modified.

btw, thanks everyone for the nice comments! I hope I can keep bringing good stuff to the DC scene. ;)