17 mistakes in the Xbox security system

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

17 mistakes in the Xbox security system

Post by Roofus »

toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

Didn't read it all, but read enough. Wow. That's a thorough discussion
No signature.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

That list was created by the Xbox Linux people, who obviously rely on Microsoft using poor security techniques in their consoles. Why are they giving them tips on how to improve it?
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Roofus

Post by Roofus »

az_bont wrote:That list was created by the Xbox Linux people, who obviously rely on Microsoft using poor security techniques in their consoles. Why are they giving them tips on how to improve it?
I can think of a few reasons:

1) They actually care about security
2) It's a good intellectual exercise
3) They know Microsoft will never take their advice.
Rand Linden
bleemcast! Creator
bleemcast! Creator

Post by Rand Linden »

Sure, there were a number of flaws but it's certainly one of the more complex (and interesting) systems out there.

Besides which, IMHO it's unfair for the author to declare it a complete failure without having the experience of working on both sides of the issue.

FYI, here's the original source of information:

http://www.xenatera.com/bunnie/proj/anatak/xboxmod.html

http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/The_Hidd ... f_the_Xbox

Rand.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

very interesting read, didnt read everything exactly, but i went over the interesting bits

cool to know that MS was so damn sloppy with its hardware implementation, and even rather shocking to know my own xbox might contain inferior ram chips (this might be why Rainbow six runs worse for me then for my buddy.... time to get me a scope and a solderingiron)

and the idiocy to think hypertransport couldnt be sniffed, lol seriously
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Some of the specs are wrong, it's not a GeForce 3 MX.. there wasn't even an MX version of a GeForce 3 released and if there was it'd have no pixel shaders.
Also it was a Pentium 3, not a celeron.. there's no such thing as a "Pentium Celeron", it's "Celeron" only.

Wow.
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Tyne wrote:Also it was a Pentium 3, not a celeron.. there's no such thing as a "Pentium Celeron", it's "Celeron" only.
I thought it was a hybrid. Something along the lines of a Celeron processor, but with the cache of a Pentium 3. Or something like that.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
stagg
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by stagg »

Tyne wrote:Some of the specs are wrong, it's not a GeForce 3 MX.. there wasn't even an MX version of a GeForce 3 released and if there was it'd have no pixel shaders.
Also it was a Pentium 3, not a celeron.. there's no such thing as a "Pentium Celeron", it's "Celeron" only.

Wow.
Umm... Yea, your trying to say these people are wrong, better check yourself son. These people spend there life adding Linux to things.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

stagg wrote:
Tyne wrote:Some of the specs are wrong, it's not a GeForce 3 MX.. there wasn't even an MX version of a GeForce 3 released and if there was it'd have no pixel shaders.

Wow.
Umm... Yea, your trying to say these people are wrong, better check yourself son. These people spend there life adding Linux to things.
correct, it was not a real GF3, but a modified GF3, i dont know the exact specs myself (pixelshaders etc..) but it is not the same chip as the GF3 you find in pc's, so calling it a GF3 mx as just as good a name as any

as for the cpu, it is a celeron/pentium hybrid, basicly a P3 with neutered cache, but not as watered down as a celeron, same goes for some execution units, basicly it would qualify as a celeron+ or something

by the way, noone else as shocked as i was to read MS used low qual ram in the xbox meaning some xboxes downclock their ram? it literally makes me feel like checking the chips in my own xbox, which ill do when i get the time
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

MX usually means it's a downgraded version, the GeForce 3 in the XBox was actually a slightly more powerful standard GeForce 3... calling it a MX is totally off.
Wow, so what you're saying is that if I spend my whole life adding linux to different platforms I automatically am the all knowledgable god that nobody can correct? pffffft...

Calling it a Pentium 3 celeron is weird, call it a watered down P3 or something as it's way less confusing and I dunno about you guys but I'd get annoyed hearing "It has a pentium 3 celeron LOLOLO!11"
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."