My new cell phone

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

My new cell phone

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

Product Page

A few weeks ago my wife managed to get water all over our old cell and it wasn't the same since. So yesterday we got the upgrade price on the phone you see here.

Of course it has a camera. Seems like that is standard now. But it's also an mp3 player. It's got a headphone jack and buttons on the outside (when closed) for playing and advancing tracks.

Also, the mp3s are stored on this incredibly tiny microSD card. I swear it's considerably smaller than a penny. It came with a 64MB one. Yippie (unenthused). But they're coming out with 1GB and 2GB versions soon.

The thing can run Java apps and games. I wonder if it's possible to dev my own stuff and run it.

Anyone else got a cool phone?
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Been thanked: 0

Post by Nyarlathotep »

If its a Symbian phone (im guessing it is) then yeah, you'd be able to dev your own stuff in java pretty easily.

Be able to make big money off it if your stuffs any good too. Companies like Jamster are always looking for stuff to sell people.

EDIT:

On topic I have the motorola razr - camera aint great (I dont care) and the keypad gets 'greasy' way too easily, but its small as hell.

Last edited by Nyarlathotep on Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

I have an Audiovox CDM-9900.. It's hardly cutting edge, especially not now, but it has what I wanted.. It can use MP3s for ringers, though you have to trick it into playing them. It has a QVGA LCD (as well as a good quality external LCD), a decent camera, and around 3 hours of talk time. Plus it is triband, meaning it still gets reception in Analog-only areas (of which there are still a good deal). It also has a "movie light", which is intended to illuminate an area when you're capturing a 15-second movie, but it works nicely as a flashlight as well.. Reception is also good, and it is small. It also cost only about $50, and that was about a year ago. Phonebook and all that are good.

My biggest complaint about it is the battery cover. It pops off too easily when dropped. I've dropped the phone and had the battery fall out three or four times so far. Just an annoyance though.

How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Nemesis
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Nemesis »

I also have the razr, unfortunatly my provider is cingular, so i don't get the video feature :(
Feel it, Don't think
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

I've got the Sony Ericsson W800.
It's a decent phone with a 220x176 display, music playback and a surprisingly good camera (.. for a phone, that is!). Being a sony device, it of course uses Memory Stick Duos but at least they saw fit to include a 512MB stick. :roll:
Some sample photos, taken on a bright day:
ImageImageImage
Click the thumbnails for near-fullsize photos (since photobucket shrunk and recompressed them).

Edit: I'd buy a larger memory stick but I'm looking at an outrageos ?70/ GB so.. no.
Last edited by sixteen-bit on Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes »

I've got an LG VX8100, and I like it. I had a VX6000 before, and I loved it to death. I got the 8100 because Verizon has the "new every two" plan, where they give you $100 off on a new phone every two years. The VX8100 ended up costing me $50. The screens are excellent, and the camera is really good for a cellphone, and you can use video for wallpaper, which is kinda neat. I got a cheap 256MB MiniSD card, and that definately brought the phone to life, as it stores all the pictures, videos, and mp3s. It has stereo speakers, and mp3s sound pretty good. The headphone jack is a propriatary(sp?) plug and the only headphones that work properly with it are the ones Verizon provides, which sucks...but...they don't sound THAT bad. It has bluetoot, but Verizon crippled it, so it's practicly useless for anything other than the blootooth headsets. I got a USB cable for it, and I've been using it, along with Bitpim to do various little things to it...like put my own ringtones and stuff on the phone. Overall, I like it, but that's after doing the software update to actually make it functional. Out of the box, it was pretty sorry, but with the V4 update, it's a nice little phone.
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

ive got the extremely cheap moto v60...
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Mitsubish V401D

2 Megapixel camera, music player, 2 lcd screens, cool tilt sensor thing, random tacked on touch pad scrolly thing, super puzzle bobble built in.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

sixteen-bit wrote:I've got the Sony Ericsson W800.
It's a decent phone with a 220x176 display, music playback and a surprisingly good camera (.. for a phone, that is!). Being a sony device, it of course uses Memory Stick Duos but at least they saw fit to include a 512MB stick. :roll:
*pics*
Click the thumbnails for near-fullsize photos (since photobucket shrunk and recompressed them).
I've got the Sony Ericsson Z1010

I was upset about the memory issue at first, but now that I own a PSP and a 1GB stick, I have an interchangable memory stick format between devices. So it's not all bad having to be stuck with the Pro DUO.

And that phone has standards like MP3 playback, camera, video calls, and the like. But the paint or whatever it is on the phone itself comes off real easy. I think I've had mine for under a year and it looks like crap now.

Sturdy though. I was down the bread aisle at work, we were putting up shelving when one of my fellow employees knocked the whole damn aisle of shelving onto ME. Guess where it landed... on my pocket with my phone in it and on my arms. Phone's still good though, it's taken a beating that's for sure.
SlammedNiss
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by SlammedNiss »

I've got a phone. It makes and receives calls.
TyBO
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by TyBO »

Liek OMG u should make teh cell fone emulader for teh DC!!!

j/k of course. Looks nice though.

I've got a pretty basic phone that's not worth showing off... I was going to make the same joke SlammedNiss did but he beat me to the punch. :(
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

have one of these. Sanyo 5300. Nice phone. Still retails for ~100. I got mine for a pack of smokes and a 12 pack. Great deal. I'm planning on getting a new phone though. As much as I like this phone I've demolished the poor thing in little over 5 months. It's hinges are broken so that now it keeps switching back and forth between the two lcds. Wastes battery life like a bitch.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

I have a Nokia 6600, basically the phone-form N-gage. I chose it to be able to have the option to dev for it in java or C if i wanted =).
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

I have the same phone in blue, and a 1 GB card :-)
compacho
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by compacho »

Quzar wrote:I have a Nokia 6600, basically the phone-form N-gage. I chose it to be able to have the option to dev for it in java or C if i wanted =).
Sorry to outdo u but I got the: Nokia 3650

Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Stormwatch »

SlammedNiss wrote:I've got a phone. It makes and receives calls.
Word.

Nokia 1100. Solid, reliable, no nonsense.
Lines join in faint discord and the Stormwatch brews
. . a concert of Kings as the white sea snaps
. . at the heels of a soft prayer
. . whispered
compacho
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by compacho »

Nice stormwatch. That actually looks really cool. how big is that?
segasweet
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by segasweet »

I have the Motorola V710. I have to say it is pretty cool, although sometimes it really annoys me. I have a 512MB transflash memory card for it that is the smallest memory card I have ever seen in my life.
As a point of curiousity, I also have the full movie of Napolean Dynamite on the phone, and you can watch the whole thing from the phone. I've got a few other music videos and stuff on there too. If you have a V710, I recommend trying it out; it's pretty cool. Image
:dc: Sega is sweet! :dc:

:mg2: Sony sucks! :mg:
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

compacho wrote:
Quzar wrote:I have a Nokia 6600, basically the phone-form N-gage. I chose it to be able to have the option to dev for it in java or C if i wanted =).
Sorry to outdo u but I got the: Nokia 3650

99% similar, but i don't like the button layout on that one =P.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
compacho
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by compacho »

Definately gotta love the NES, GBC, and Genesis emus for those phones :D