doom movie gets good review!? (by ign though)

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Specially Cork
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Post by Specially Cork »

Meh. I've never found any 99% action 1% plot movie anything other than dire. For me, the entire point of a movie is to tell a story, if it isnt going to do that, it may as well not exist.

It is a good formula for a game I agree, but it doesnt work half as well if you are just sat there watching.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

BoneyCork wrote:Meh. I've never found any 99% action 1% plot movie anything other than dire. For me, the entire point of a movie is to tell a story, if it isnt going to do that, it may as well not exist.

It is a good formula for a game I agree, but it doesnt work half as well if you are just sat there watching.
you have a point, i doubt id like to see doom twice really

i just watched matrix revolutions again a few days ago, and beyond the action it is realy mediocre... wont be watching that one anytime soon
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

BoneyCork wrote:So according to IGN its a great movie as long as you ignore the lack of plot.

Thats like calling a videogame good as long as you ignore the lack of gameplay.
No, it would be like saying a video game is good as long as you ignore the lack of plot.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

ace wrote:
BoneyCork wrote:So according to IGN its a great movie as long as you ignore the lack of plot.

Thats like calling a videogame good as long as you ignore the lack of gameplay.
No, it would be like saying a video game is good as long as you ignore the lack of plot.
You cannot compare videogames and movies in this way. The primary elemnt of videogames is gameplay, which is obvious when you look at the first few decades of games and realise that most of them had nothing in the way of a proper plot, with the vast majority not even making a passing reference to one.

Movies, being entirely non-interactive, use completely different means of entertaining the audience - plot being the most obvious one.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Yeah the comparison I was trying to make is that:

The core part of a movie is the plot (unless it is a documentary/experimental movie)
The core part of a videogame is the gameplay.

And there is generally no way either medium could possibly be good if their core elements were either terrible or non-existant.
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by Nick »

That's completely false. I've seen plenty of enjoyable movies that had a weak or non-sensical plot. Sometimes a straight up action movie is damn enjoyable, even if the "plot" is about saving the world from alien invaders.
Very sexy hero, omg
saber07
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by saber07 »

I dont know if I want to watch it this weekend or not, because I know some fat zit faced loser will you "pwned!!!" during the movie...
Silence is Golden
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

unfortunatly it wont launch in europe for at least two weeks :(
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

I'm gonna go see it friday with my friend who's a Doom 3 freak. It looks like they're trying to pull off what HotD did though: incorporating video game moments into the movie, i.e. the first person perspective. It's not as bad as flashing actual gameplay screens like in HotD but still, it's gotta be awkward for anyone who's never played Doom 3.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Nick wrote:That's completely false. I've seen plenty of enjoyable movies that had a weak or non-sensical plot. Sometimes a straight up action movie is damn enjoyable, even if the "plot" is about saving the world from alien invaders.
I was speaking more from opinion:
BoneyCork wrote:Meh. I've never found any 99% action 1% plot movie anything other than dire. For me, the entire point of a movie is to tell a story, if it isnt going to do that, it may as well not exist.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Looked like some pitiful acting and cheesy cat phrases from what little I seen from the commerical.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

I just got back. It was pretty funny. Some really bad scenes, some not so good ones and thats the movie. I wouldn't see it again until it came on HBO or something.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
ASCIIN
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by ASCIIN »

what did you expect sophie's choice, its based off a fps for christ sakes....
<WiLdSeXyPrInCeSs> i luv guyz where would they be wifout us gals???
<XeNoX> Still in the Garden Of Eden you gullible bitch.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

I saw it tonight. It was better than expected but still pretty bad. The Rock was trying so hard to not do the eyebrow. There is this one scene where it looks like he tries but it's more like a twitch. The FPS part wasn't nearly as good as expected and it wasn't until the end, which was pretty stupid.

The only reason I saw it was becuase I got in for free. The movie isn't worth the $8.50 it costs normally.
Last edited by bizzle on Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

Yeah, I'll prolly see sometime before it goes to dvd. since I'm a fan of the doom games, and this might actually be the best videogame to movie made since the first mortal kombat. Worst, imo is still the super mario bros movie....
Ceeg
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Ceeg »

Im seeing it Sunday.
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

must not be to good, nobody wants to "share" it yet...
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

must not be to good, nobody wants to "share" it yet..
:lol: I noticed that too.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

BoneyCork wrote:
Nick wrote:That's completely false. I've seen plenty of enjoyable movies that had a weak or non-sensical plot. Sometimes a straight up action movie is damn enjoyable, even if the "plot" is about saving the world from alien invaders.
I was speaking more from opinion:
So you don't enjoy any Chinese action or kung fu movies? Bit surprising...

Do you, in fact, not enjoy action sequences at all in movies?

The thing about most action movies.. Most of them the action sequences MAYBE 15-20% of the actual film. A weak, non-entertaining (I can find bad storylines entertaining, as long as they're ludicrous/stupid) storyline can sink a movie with good action. In other words, you're getting maybe 20 minutes of entertainment out of a 90 minute film... That sucks. I do own a few Chinese films where the only good parts are the action scenes (Tragic Hero and Rich and Famous are generally this way, as is Return Engagement), and the rest is sheer boredom. What I do is skip the rest of the film :)
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

What about UHF? The plot only serves as a way to tell a series of sight gags.
Orgazmo? The plot is outlandish and simple, yet the humor, again.
Dawn of the Dead (either one)? The plot: Surviving zombies. But that's not the point, the point is the interaction between the characters and sweet zombie moments.
Memento. It's a way to experiment with telling a story. The actual plot is simple. Man looks for wife's murderer.
Clerks. Two guys work at a store.

And we could go on. Plot is as disposable as any other element of the film. The trick isn't to include everything, but to make it good.
No signature.