Best PS->DC converter??

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
evanft
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Best PS->DC converter??

Post by evanft »

I love my DC, but I can't stand the controller. It's uncomfortable and cheap-feeling. Anyone know a good converter so I can use PS controllers on the DC?? The one that seems to be the best is the Dream Connection 2. It's like the Dream Connection, but with a VMU slot. ANyone ever use it before?
kingbuzzo
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by kingbuzzo »

I use it. it pwns, you need it. BUY BUY BUY BUY NOW!
Sweater Fish
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Sweater Fish »

There's two totally different adapters called "DreamConnection." One is translucent blue and from a company called Skillz and the other one is grey and was sold in the U.S. by Innovation (I think it was sold under another brand in Hong Kong, so you might see it from a different maker depending on where you get it). The one from Skillz is the one you want, it handles button mapping for both the Playstation and Saturn controllers better and seems to work with more peripherals (wheels and flight sticks and such). I've never seen it called the DreamConnection 2, but rather the DreamConnection 4-in-1 (the four being, Playstation and Saturn controllers, PS/2 keyboards and I guess a VMU), the earlier version without the VMU slot was called the 3-in-1. Unfortunately the one sold by Innovation is also called the Dream Connection 4-in-1, so it can sometimes be pretty hard to tell the difference if you're ordering online.

If all you're interested in is Playstation to Dreamcast and don't think you need the Saturn support, you might also consider the Total Control adapters. I've never used one myself, but they have a very good reputation. Their Saturn adapter is a bit better than either of the DreamConnection adapters, so maybe the Playstation ones are better too. I believe that the original Total Control was for Playstation controllers only and had no VMU slot, the Total Control Plus had a VMU slot and the Total Control 2 had a VMU slot and also support for PS/2 keyboards (this doesn't work very well at all on the adapters I've used, so don't worry too much about it). I've also seen another Total Control adapter for sale some places that supports both Playstation and Saturn controls, so that might actually be the best one to get if ou can find it.

There's also adapters labeled Total Control and DreamConnection (clear blue, so I guess they're from Skillz) that only accept PS/2 keyboards or mice, no Saturn *OR* Playstation controllers, so obviously you don't want one of those.

Since you asked, though, the best Playstation adapter by far would be a bleem!Pod prototype. I had one but sold it a few months ago. Actually, their one weak point is that for some reason they don't work with third party memory cards, while all of the other adpaters I've used do.

...word is bondage...
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

love my DC, but I can't stand the controller. It's uncomfortable and cheap-feeling. Anyone know a good converter so I can use PS controllers on the DC??
You say the DC one feels cheaps, yet you wanna use a PS controller instead? PS is the cheapest feeling one out of the lot. :wtf:
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
tekkaman1
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by tekkaman1 »

You say the DC one feels cheaps, yet you wanna use a PS controller instead? PS is the cheapest feeling one out of the lot.
Yes. Also the DC controller is much better for playing fighting games.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

tekkaman1 wrote:Also the DC controller is much better for playing fighting games.
Triggers? Hello :roll:
Segata Sanshiro
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Segata Sanshiro »

For racing games is the best!
evanft
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by evanft »

Skynet wrote:
love my DC, but I can't stand the controller. It's uncomfortable and cheap-feeling. Anyone know a good converter so I can use PS controllers on the DC??
You say the DC one feels cheaps, yet you wanna use a PS controller instead? PS is the cheapest feeling one out of the lot. :wtf:
I cracked mine in a heavy Soul Calibur session, so I made it feel cheap. :lol:
tekkaman1 wrote:Yes. Also the DC controller is much better for playing fighting games.
:| :| :| :| :|

Hell no it isn't. The floaty, tiny D-pad and the triggers are crap.

Anyway, here's the what I see on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DREAM-CONNECTION-2- ... dZViewItem
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Still, the PS D-Pad does no one any justice what-so-ever. I still hate that friggin thing. :x
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Sweater Fish
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Sweater Fish »

The Playstation controller is pretty bad. It's totally cramped, that segmented d-pad is ridiculous (there's third party PS controllers with nice d-pads, but they always have sketchy analog sticks) and four shoulder buttons is a useless idea.

The Dreamcast controller is better, in my opinion but not by much. The way the handles angle inwards means you either have to have your wrists at a crazy angle or else just sort of balance the controller on your palms rather than really grip it, neither of which is satisfactory. And yeah that d-pad was a really bad idea, not as bad as the Playstation one, but still a hige step down from Sega's Genesis and Saturn d-pads.

For fighting games or any digital needs, the Saturn pad beats anything. And while the DC pad is pretty good for racing games, the Saturn NiGHTS pad is just that much better. The Saturn controllers are the pinnacle of controller design and will never be topped or unfortunately even matched, it seems. Unfortunately none of the controller adapters for the DC fully support the NiGHTS pad (the DreamConnection from Skillz supports it as a wheel, which means that only the X-axis of the analog stick works), so for games that require analog control (or at least y-axis analog control) that excellent controller isn't an option.

Anyway, evanft, the auction you linked to on eBay is for the DreamConnection from Innovation, not the Skillz one. I think it's a shitty adapter, especially at that price (I sold mine for $5). I'd advise holding out for either the Skillz DreamConnection (which as I said is totally different) or one of the Total Control adapters. It's up to you, though.

...word is bondage...
evanft
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by evanft »

I prefer the PS pad about 1000x over the DC. The dc controller is incredibly uncomfortable, the buttons are too small, and I just think the analog stick sucks. My hands actually starts to hurt after a while in Soul Calibur, something that doesn't happen with the PS controller.

The PS pad is a lot more comfortable in my hands, and I actually prefer the d-pad because it's easier for me to move over it quickly because it is somewhat flatter than most other d-pads. I also like the feel of the buttons a lot more. The 4 shoulder buttons are also superior to the DC's triggers for pretty much anything, ESPECIALLY fighting games. Driving games are alright with them, but I prefer the ananlog face-buttons on the PS2's pads. But that's just me.
Pyrite
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Pyrite »

I recommend the Total Control adapters 100% go for it, I have the one that suports PS and SAT pads plus VMU's great stuff. For PS pads there are 3rd party pads that are way better than SONY just look around HORI and Logitech are top quality in my opinion.
THAN/THEN get it right peoples!
evanft
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by evanft »

Thanks for your help, guys.

On a side note, I'm actually thinking about picking up this logitech controller for my PS2: http://gear.ign.com/articles/522/522644p1.html

Anyone ever use it before?
Eckostyle
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by Eckostyle »

tekkaman1 wrote:
You say the DC one feels cheaps, yet you wanna use a PS controller instead? PS is the cheapest feeling one out of the lot.
What? It stunk. Mainly cause of the D-Pad and the triggers.

Why do you think there was a lot of PSX -> DC converters, and why home arcade sticking became WAY popular on the DC's release? Cause the DC controller was pretty badly designed for those types of games.
Sweater Fish
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Sweater Fish »

I don't think anyone bought a PS-to-DC controller converter for playing fighters.

Arguing over whether the d-pad and shoulder buttons on the Playstation or the Dreamcast controller are better for fighters is like arguing over whether being punched in the kidneys or kneed in the testicles feels better. They both suck more than I like to imagine. Use a damned Saturn controller for fighters, it's like kicking *SOMEONE ELSE* in the nuts. It feels great.

...word is bondage...
Smurph
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Smurph »

Well said.
Pyrite
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Pyrite »

Sweater Fish wrote:I don't think anyone bought a PS-to-DC controller converter for playing fighters.

Arguing over whether the d-pad and shoulder buttons on the Playstation or the Dreamcast controller are better for fighters is like arguing over whether being punched in the kidneys or kneed in the testicles feels better. They both suck more than I like to imagine. Use a damned Saturn controller for fighters, it's like kicking *SOMEONE ELSE* in the nuts. It feels great.

...word is bondage...
You think wrong, people buy them 'cause there are great PSX arcade sticks that are better (and sometimes cheaper) than an 2nd hand agetec not only that but a PSX pad (3rd party) is best to hack no analog triggers means no response delays.
evanft
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by evanft »

What PSX sticks are good?
Pyrite
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Pyrite »

The Hori ones mainly the HRAP and SC2. Or custom sticks that you can then use on a multitude of systems without any issues since there's PS pad adapters for almost everything these days. A good place to look around is the shoryuken.com hardware forum.

The HRAP is only good for DC if you plan on hacking, changing button layout is an essencial thing to make a double set of arcs R2 and L2 don't register in most games.
Last edited by Pyrite on Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
evanft
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by evanft »

I'll do that.

The only fighting pad that has caught my eye is the X-Arcade stick. It's like $80 with one adapter, but that's right right the price for a good fighting stick, and the X-Arcade is supposed to be the best.