Hi everyone, new to the scene with 1 question

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Repoman23
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Hi everyone, new to the scene with 1 question

Post by Repoman23 »

Basicly ive always loved Dreamcast but I havent played videogames in a long time. I stumbled upon this emulation thing, but im not the greatest with computers and technology.

What im trying to do is be able to play the games: X-men (arcade game), Simpsons (arcade game) and Magical Drop 2 or 3.

Whats the best way for me to do this? If at all. Remember im new and know nothing. Ive read some stuff but im a bit confused.

thanks in advance!
mikozero
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mikozero »

i think theres a single game emu for the Simpsons (not sure) and you can play Magical Drop 2 via a NeoCD emu (you'll need to find an iso for this not a rom) or via SNES emulation.

edit - X-men is is also a single game emu.
Last edited by mikozero on Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Repoman23
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by Repoman23 »

What is required to play a single game EMU?

Do I need to burn a boot disc cd and a seperate cd with the game?
mikozero
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mikozero »

quick forum serch revealed that the single game emus are based on MAME 0.36b16

(which is important as you'll need to acquire roms which are required for that version of MAME ie you'll need a dat and something like Romcenter to check them with)

there appear to be versions at sbiffy to use with Selfboot Inducer so that would mean roms on the same disk, the emu would selfboot, you could maybe put them both on the same disk, and you won't need a boot disk.

that's about as much as i got, hopefully someone else will jump in.
i've never tried these single game emus myself :oops:

hope this helps some.

PS. forum search is your friend...
Repoman23
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by Repoman23 »

Thanks for your continuing help.

Ive downloaded the Simpsons emulator. Its an SBI file, whatever that is.

So ur saying I need to download MAME 0.36b16 and put it on the same cd as the SBI?
mikozero
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mikozero »

eh, no.
read the tutorials at sbiffy
an sbi file is a compressed emulator (and the relavent files and dirs) without the roms

Selfboot Inducer (Sbinducr.exe) decompresses the .sbi and gives you various options to burn it to a disk, like creating a .nrg file for use in nero (.sbi files are actually .zip files with a different extension if you rename it you can look inside, maybe you'll find a readme.txt) it also allows you to put more than one emu on a disk with a kind of frontend type thingy.

you don't need MAME 0.36b16 on the disk, i put that in a reference, you need roms that were compatable with MAME 0.36b16 when it came out (as that the MAME rom set may have changed quite a bit since then)

you could possibly extract a dat from MAME 0.36b16 (if you can find it on the net) using Romcenter ( http://www.romcenter.com/ ) this would allow you to check any rom you've already got or downloaded against what's required.

http://www.logiqx.com/ has tools for 'taking roms back in time' if you catch my drift
(altering the sets so they run on older emus)
Repoman23
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by Repoman23 »

Got both X-men and Simpsons successfully burned with the help or zero and omega.

thanks.

But one problem, both games run at 24 FPS with no sound at all. Is their anyway to get the speed up a bit?

its pretty slow!
mikozero
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mikozero »

sorry to hear that, like i said i've never tried them myself.
hope you have better luck with Magical Drop :(
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

magical drop should definetly run without a problem on neodc since it's not an intensive game.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Repoman23
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by Repoman23 »

Hehe.

I read the nfo of NEODC and I dont think it has sound at all.

like the whole emulator has no sound.

i guess ill still try though
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

http://www.screamcast.net/boards/viewto ... 4c7f5fe923

That is the official post of the newest release. It has sound, both CDDA and sound effects.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Sweater Fish
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Sweater Fish »

I think the Simpsons and X-Men SGAs both allow for some fiddling with the emulation settings. I don't recall all the best settings, but if you search the forum archives, you'll probably find some hints. As I recall, they have a special Dreamcast-specific video mode that's significantly faster (though a bit buggy) and also the option for underclocking the emulated CPU(s).

The Simpsons emulation was always a little disappointing to me, but I recall getting X-Men to run pretty close to perfect (I can't remember if that was with or without sound). It's been a while since I've played around with the arcade emulators, though. I've always meant to create a whole disc of MAME and SGA stuff.

...word is bondage...
Repoman23
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by Repoman23 »

"As I recall, they have a special Dreamcast-specific video mode that's significantly faster (though a bit buggy) and also the option for underclocking the emulated CPU(s). "

Hmm. Well their are a lot of options that you can tweak in the emulators. But I have no clue what if any im supposed to move to make it run better. If anyone knows id love to find out.