upgrading from 98SE to XP

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

upgrading from 98SE to XP

Post by Nico0020 »

My dad needs to make the move to XP because of some hardware incompatabilities. So we bought the upgrade software. I havent installed it for him. I assume a lot of programs are going to have to be uninstalled and then reinstalled with the correct drivers and such? Are there some precautions anyone can let me know about before doing this? Cause I have read that some apps just wont work at all after upgrading.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
btm4k
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan
Been thanked: 0

Post by btm4k »

its about time :o
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

Obviously backup for safety. Don't really have any answers to your other questions. It might be easier and cleaner to do a clean install of 98 then upgrade
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

ive had better luck with backin up and installing on a newly formated hdd...
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

yup, just follow these steps:

1.back up all important Data
2.install win 98, no driver what so ever though
3.upgrade to XP now
4.install mobo drivers and video drivers in that order, then install all other software

and your done
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
bender
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by bender »

win98 it's the last windoze that does not break confidentiality laws. xp has tons of spyware on media player(they can know even what films do you watch), msn,..even latest m$ office versions are plagued with that sh*t. People are usually not aware of this and don't care about m$ wanting to control the world (it's also probed that there're nsa/fbi keys in the registry http://lists.essential.org/pipermail/am ... 09730.html
). Personally, i think it's a good reason to stop buying m$ products and start thinking of using free software. Millions of people do it actually.
Sorry for being a pain(and for my english :) ). Just bought a presario r3000 with winxp sp2 preinstalled and i'm a bit angry :x.I'm going to email hp to have the windows licence money back, since i don't use windows and i didn't have the chance to buy the computer with anything preinstalled :cry:
cheers
Sanchez
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Sanchez »

You shouldn't have to actually install the previous version of 98, just have the CD available. When the upgrade asks, you can put the CD in place to prove you owned it.

Also, if necessary, you can call up MS and say you bought the upgrade and need to reinstall but you don't have the original CDs. They will typically give you a special key to get around the upgrade problem. At least, that's how it was when I did tech support for them.
"This is worse than when the Raccoon got in the copier!"
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

well i got my PC with XP on it, and with all the crap M$ has put on it, it does seem to crash less and let my PC get really screwed. But my fathers computer has had the same operating system since like maybe early 2000. A clean install of 98SE sounds like a good idea.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
mikozero
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mikozero »

Sanchez wrote:You shouldn't have to actually install the previous version of 98, just have the CD available. When the upgrade asks, you can put the CD in place to prove you owned it.
done this on my brother PC with an upgrade copy of XP, is just so.
btm4k wrote:its about time :o
still using it :P
not in a hurry to upgrade either...

this helps a lot with 98SE installs on "old boxes"
UNOFFICIAL Windows98 Second Edition Service Pack
segasweet
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by segasweet »

Sanchez wrote:You shouldn't have to actually install the previous version of 98, just have the CD available. When the upgrade asks, you can put the CD in place to prove you owned it.
Sanchez is 100% correct. I just redid my own machine and I have a WinXP upgrade disc also. All I did was stuck in an old Win95 disc (since I didn't have anything else to use), and it read a few files to confirm that I had a valid earlier version of Windows. From there, I just installed WinXP.
:dc: Sega is sweet! :dc:

:mg2: Sony sucks! :mg:
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

bender wrote:win98 it's the last windoze that does not break confidentiality laws. xp has tons of spyware on media player(they can know even what films do you watch), msn,..even latest m$ office versions are plagued with that sh*t. People are usually not aware of this and don't care about m$ wanting to control the world (it's also probed that there're nsa/fbi keys in the registry http://lists.essential.org/pipermail/am ... 09730.html
). Personally, i think it's a good reason to stop buying m$ products and start thinking of using free software. Millions of people do it actually.
Sorry for being a pain(and for my english :) ). Just bought a presario r3000 with winxp sp2 preinstalled and i'm a bit angry :x.I'm going to email hp to have the windows licence money back, since i don't use windows and i didn't have the chance to buy the computer with anything preinstalled :cry:
cheers
dude, seriously, dont be so gullible

im not saying that windows doesnt include spyware or anything, but this whole nsa thing is just ott, i mean come on, what do you care? do you have stuff you actually encript to hide from the nsa in the first place?

also i just did a full registry search on this "NSAKEY" you linked, and i found nothing (using win xp sp2) i do agree with you on sp2 though, it makes the whole system a lot more sluggish, so ill be reformating soon too, and i wont go with sp2 this time

seriously, this is just like the whole myth around the dell keyloger posted a while ago, sure it might exist, but even if it does, what do you have to hide?

and anyway, the nsa, cia fbi and whatever dont have jurisdiction over me anyway, i am not a us citizen
bender
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by bender »

Disheveled DrFreeze wrote:
im not saying that windows doesnt include spyware or anything, but this whole nsa thing is just ott, i mean come on, what do you care? do you have stuff you actually encript to hide from the nsa in the first place?

also i just did a full registry search on this "NSAKEY" you linked, and i found nothing (using win xp sp2) i do agree with you on sp2 though, it makes the whole system a lot more sluggish, so ill be reformating soon too, and i wont go with sp2 this time

seriously, this is just like the whole myth around the dell keyloger posted a while ago, sure it might exist, but even if it does, what do you have to hide?

and anyway, the nsa, cia fbi and whatever dont have jurisdiction over me anyway, i am not a us citizen
about the spyware i mentioned it's probed to be true(i can tell you that a big guy like Richard Stallman ,GNU guru, spoke about this when he was at my Uni http://eghost.deusto.es/phpwiki/index.p ... lmanBilbao .
You have the audio files in (his) spanish and an interview about free software in english/spanish by him at that site (you need the speex codec). He did not explicity spoke about the USA goverment or M$ controlling everything, but he spoke about the spyware of the system/programs that have it and everybody understood it.
I was at that meeting, this guy it's really crazy,he dressed up as Saint IGNUcius of the Church of Emacs and blessed all the people that was listening him :lol:

I don't know if i'm being a bit paranoic, but i do care.Not for myself, just because things like this are an open backdoor for all the computers of the world that has windows installed. I don't think it's legit that the fbi/nsa to spy goverments (or even normal people) of the countries of the rest of the world

about the nsakey, i posted the first link i have found but it's known to be true (and a very old thing). Just google a bit. It will also probably depend about the windows version you're using and might have been modified on newer ones. As i say, this is an old thing ;-)

Edit: I knew i had an article about this somewhere: (by Fernando Acero, in spanish again, can't seem to find an english version of this: http://www.kriptopolis.org/node/496 ) I'm very sorry for not having the english version...If anyone can translate it, it's really a nice read ;-)

Also I have a (very) nice article and the .ogg (by a friend of the e-ghost free software group) about 'cibercontrol' and things like this (in spanish (sorry :oops: ), spanish slashdot link): http://barrapunto.com/article.pl?sid=04/01/16/0043214

i didn't want to post all this crap, sorry , but i started with the thing... just to prove that i'm saying the truth :roll:
cheers
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

hmm, kay my spanish sucks (being that i cant understand a word of it) so ill take your word for it
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Stormwatch »

Upgrade to Linux. :wink:
Lines join in faint discord and the Stormwatch brews
. . a concert of Kings as the white sea snaps