ram upgrade, on a modded xbox, worthwhile for homebrew?

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
gchamish
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

ram upgrade, on a modded xbox, worthwhile for homebrew?

Post by gchamish »

hey, I was thinking of maybe upgradeing my xbox ram for homebrew. I mostly just watch media tho, and play a bit of emulators. How much will it help in media playing, and emulators?
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

Not much unless the apps are utilised to use the extra ram. Don't bother its ver hard to install too
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

would it help media at all? :?

I mean, I run 700mb+ mpegs just fine. Dvds work just fine. Where's the need for the for more ram for media? Unless I'm missing something.

I suppose if the emulator supported it, it could make MAME, N64 and PSX emulation better?
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
kungpow12345
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by kungpow12345 »

well, from what i heard, if you got the ram upgrade mameox would thank you for it. Especially when you can play Mortal Kombat 1-3 at full speed with no hiccups, and also other massive roms that crash thanks to the limited memory. Plus, in surreal 64, roms will actually run much better and look better too thanks to the ram upgrade.
If you've got an ass, I'll kick it!
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

The only thing I can think of that could benefit from a RAM upgrade is MAME. There are some games that I enjoy that can't be loaded due to insufficient memory.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

I thought most of the MAME stuff supported virtual memory now..
kungpow12345
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by kungpow12345 »

most of it is yes but there's still roms like the Samurai Showdown series (we're talking like 4 or 5) and the Street Fighter EX series that bottleneck the virtual memory. ...it can only take so much, hence the slowdown. If you had ram to back it up, you wouldn't even need virtual memory and that also frees up the xbox for more ram sensitive apps for the smartx xbox they advertise on xbox-scene.com. They have that puppy doing so much stuff it would almost double as a pc: dvd ripping, viewing the weather, web surfing, running xkai, and your emus at full speed, even with surreal and mame. :lol: I would throw out my pc at that point...but then again no :D but it's a strong second!
If you've got an ass, I'll kick it!
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

Wow lets spend lots of time effort and money making an Xbox almost as good as an outdated junky computer. Impressive. OK, OK, so it is cool what they can do with it. But for gchamish, is any of that really practical enough to be worth it?
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

An HD upgrade for Xbox is reasonable because you can do it yourself and it integrates more or less cleanly into the system. Virtually every other HW upgrade is done first and foremost for hack value and/or bragging rights, not because it really helps apps run better.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
gchamish
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by gchamish »

what is xkai?
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

xkai/xlink kai.......it's pretty much a free xbox live....

but as for ram, ill tell ya in a little while. ive got a few spare mobos here so im thinkin im gonna do it.

ive heard the n64 and mame emulation is a lot better, linux runs better, and xbmc runs divx/xvid better...

if all you do is play xbox games/backups, it is a pointless upgrade, but if you have a broken xbox mobo and the time/skill to do the upgrade i cant see it as pointless....

i mean for less then 100$, you can have a 733mhz linux system with 128mb of ram, 10/100 ethernet card, gforce 3 gfx card, 1280 x 720 res (with vga hack or 720p), 5.1 surround, 4 onboard usb ports, pc quality emulators, play xbox games.....that's pretty damn good....
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

Ex-Cyber wrote:An HD upgrade for Xbox is reasonable because you can do it yourself and it integrates more or less cleanly into the system. Virtually every other HW upgrade is done first and foremost for hack value and/or bragging rights, not because it really helps apps run better.
But if all you do is stream media over the network, you don't even need that. I mean, it could be argued that replacing the processor is of better aid for the purposes of more demanding emulators or perhaps decoding HD Divx (which sucks up a good bit of cycles).
MKE wrote:i mean for less then 100$, you can have a 733mhz linux system with 128mb of ram, 10/100 ethernet card, gforce 3 gfx card, 1280 x 720 res (with vga hack or 720p), 5.1 surround, 4 onboard usb ports, pc quality emulators, play xbox games.....that's pretty damn good....
Not that I think there's anything wrong with that, but let me just play devil's advocate for a second here: You can buy a used 'puter for that kind of money that will be more powerful and versatile. Xbox is getting old in its old age, we'll be h4x0rz0ring Xbox 360s in no time.
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.