How to create a selfbooting DreamSNES disc with games

Anything DreamSNES-related can be asked in this forum, such as general questions about the emulator, how to burn it, etc.
Ujjay
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: How to create a selfbooting DreamSNES disc with games

Post by Ujjay »

I did everything in this guide, and I tried it twice, and my dreamcast says "please insert disk".

I downloaded Bootdreams, I already have a working copy of Alcohol that I tested working, downloaded DreamSNES files. Put the ip.ini in the CD file all my roms are unzipped and most are fully operational and tested on my computer. I made a rom list file put it in the roms folder, and my single mp3 is in the folder. I used bootdreams twice to see if it would work, and it went through 100 percent twice but my dreamcast won't recognize it.

I've put cdrs in my dreamcast like 5 times before, so what gives? Did I miss something?

Is it because I chose Audio/Data in bootdreams?
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

I use Data/Data in BootDreams and it works great.
Insane homebrew collector.
Ujjay
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Ujjay »

Tried data/data and burned it in alcohol and it takes like 2 minutes for it to boot up, then nothing. It says "please insert disk".

Tried it this way:

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=55632

and everytime it I put the CDr in the dreamcast goes to the menu screen, then I press play and the dreamcast reboots and goes to the same menu screen. It's infinite.

Thanks for the help.
Christuserloeser

Hm, if you follow this tutorial by the letter it definitely works: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=68460

Try to use the CDRecord method and burn it in BootDreeams.
Ujjay
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Ujjay »

For some strange reason bootdreams was recording it in mdf. When it did it in mds, Alcohol said "unrecognized file format for recording". That's odd. I tried in nero with bootdreams, TAO and all, but it said Unknown BurningPhase. Are my programs to blame?

Trying CDrecord now. Luckily I just bought 50 blank cds so I'm patient.

Tried it in CDrecord, and IT WORKS. Everything works fine now. Is there a genesis emulator?

So much thanks for the help!
Christuserloeser

Glad to hear it's working :)
Ujjay wrote:Is there a genesis emulator?
Yes, there is
http://www.dreamcast-scene.com/index.ph ... esisPlusDC
http://www.dreamcast-scene.com/index.ph ... ow-To-Burn
hulapa
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by hulapa »

The link to BootDreams is dead. Does anyone have a different link or a copy that they can post.
Christuserloeser

You are right; http://dchelp.dcemulation.org/ isn't working atm...

- Download it here: http://www.zshare.net/download/71075645212b97/
llcooljr
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by llcooljr »

this is my first time trying to do this and i have no clue. i read the directions posted, downloaded Bootdreams, Alcohol 120%, DreamSnes, and discjuggler. i'm new to this so i didnt know what to do from there. i saw a post that said to drag the BIN file (from dreamsnes) into the data folder from dreamsBoot and then open dreamsboot and choose Scramble Binary. after which i was supposed to choose between nero and discjuggler image. when i choose discjuggle image nothing happens.

Please help

i've searched everywhere and it seems so simple but nothing works. some links say that all i need to do is put the emulator file in dreamboot and it should just burn but the only options i see when i open dreamboot are: ELF, Unscramble Binary and Scrambled binary.

I appreciate all the help!
Please explain fully because i'm brand new.

i found out how to do it. i didnt even have to use alcohol 120%. after i found bootdreams i just placed the dreamNes zip file in the bootdreams folder. i unzipped the file inside the bootdreams folder. i found roms (games) at theoldcomputer.com and i opened the roms folder and resized the box to be smaller than the screen. i just opened (not saved) the games and dragged them into the rom folder. after i got the games i wanted i closed the rom folder and opened bootdreams. i clicked browse, expanded bootdreams from the C folder, expanded DreamNes, and clicked on CD (which is where the bin file and roms were) then hit ok. i then set the burn speed to 4X and hit process. after that bootdreams took over. if it said it cant find BIN file it will ask you if you want to look for it. click yes and a box will pop up. click NEs.bin (or the one that looks like that) and it will continue to write the disc. when it ejects its ready.

there is probably an easier way but this has worked for me.
ScreamingSkull
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by ScreamingSkull »

What kind of disk do I need to burn it on?

EDIT; NEVER MIND I FOUND OUT.
Dream Project
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Re:

Post by Dream Project »

LyingWake wrote:
jordanelias wrote:
LyingWake wrote:Why do you have a 1ST_READ.BIN in there? What are you trying to do?
BootDreams asks me for the 1ST_READ.BIN. If I do not have it in the directory, it asks me to select a 1ST_READ.BIN, which I cannot do as the program does not let me browse directories.
When it asks you to select a main binary, a box will pop up listing all the files in the root of the folder (where the root of the CD would be). That's where you choose 1DSNES.SH4.
It never ask me for select a 1ST_READ.BIN file!! Instead I get this $#$^@!!!!!

What the hell happen here?!
Christuserloeser

Re: Re:

Dream Project wrote:It never ask me for select a 1ST_READ.BIN file!! Instead I get this $#$^@!!!!!

The image has been deleted.
xshinoda
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by xshinoda »

can some1 help me with the burning when i burn it it just goes back to the dreamcast menu and i used disc juggler can some1 tell me the achohol 120% way
Christuserloeser

see OP:
emptythought wrote:What you'll need:

Latest version of BootDreams
Alcohol 120%
DreamSNES 0.9.8 plain files

First thing first. Download and install BootDreams and Alcohol 120%. Now download DreamSNES 0.9.8 plain files and extract it (desktop would be the easiest).

Now that the downloads and extracting is complete, we move onto setting up the folder for image creation. Open the folder that DreamSNES 0.9.8 plain files was just extracted to. Place the IP.BIN into the cd directory. Next, put all unzipped ROMs in the roms directory.

OPTIONAL: For the ROM list to load quicker (by not reading each ROMs header for the game's title) you can use a ROM list creator. ROMS.LST Maker v1.2 by kRYPT_ is recommended.

OPTIONAL: If you don't want DreamSNES to scan a certain directory you can stick a file named NO_ROMS.HERE in it. This will prevent DreamSNES from scanning it for ROMs.

OPTIONAL: A extra feature DreamSNES has is playing MP3s. By default there is 1 MP3 in the sounds directory. If you wish, you can place any extra MP3s there. Make sure at least 1 MP3 is present in this directory before image creation.

Now that your directory is setup, open BootDreams (BootDreams.exe). You can create a DiscJuggler image, a Nero image, or you can burn it straight to CD. I recommend burning it straight to CD. If you decide to create a Nero image, TAO is the recommended image type (DAO is required for Nero 5.x). Once you have clicked the task's icon, browse to the cd directory you placed the IP.BIN in earlier. Now click Process (if you're burning DreamSNES within BootDreams, add a blank CD-R before continuing). The disc should begin to burn or the image should begin it's creation.

If you created a image, you need to burn it.

That's it. Test it in your Dreamcast and play away!
Start Alcohol, browse for your DSNES image in DiscJuggler .cdi format, choose RAW/DAO format, and click on burn.
xshinoda
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by xshinoda »

darn alcohol 120 expired so wat is the disc juggler way?
Christuserloeser

Basically you do the same thing: Start DiscJuggler, browse for your image, leave the settings alone, and click on burn.
OldSchoolIsCOOL
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by OldSchoolIsCOOL »

Is creating a disk really this easy? If so, I must be overlooking something because I've wasted 10 cdrs trying to make this happen. I havent tried burning right from bootdreams yet, but I will. I am on the verge of giving up. Could a problem be that I am using windows 7 or a laptop?
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

To avoid issues with a non-present ASPI layer in Win7, create a '.CDI' image, and burn with Alcohol 120, or DiscJuggler.

Nero '.NRG', and A120 '.MDS/.MDF', are for the birds...
ImageImageImageImage
OldSchoolIsCOOL
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by OldSchoolIsCOOL »

I've created the cdi image before and tried burning with discjuggler, and it doesn't work. That is the way I have tried to a few times with no results. Are there certain settings I should be setting discjuggler to or burning it a certain way?
Christuserloeser

I'd try to burn it via BootDreams if DiscJuggler is giving you problems.