Dreamcast 30x30mm Fan

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
ptr.exe
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Dreamcast 30x30mm Fan

Post by ptr.exe »

hi,
ive been looking for a 30x30mm fan for ages to replace one thats gone bust in my spare DC, i found this, but ?12.70 is a rip off as a DC only costs ?15.

Anyone know where i could get one cheaply? preferably in the UK.

Thanks
Orange_Ribbon wrote:It is also the reason why you can't wear tight pants. Damn anal warts.

Millenium Falcon Dreamcast
dcmodder
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by dcmodder »

well that's the problem. replacement parts always cost more than they should. i'd say just buy a new dc and then (either) use the "new" one or take the fan out of the "new" one and put it in your current one and use the "new" one for n e thing that might break on your current one. spare parts are not a bad thing. especially when it comes to dreamcast.
wont u be my friend?
ptr.exe
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ptr.exe »

Yeah, but i have basically two scrap DC's for parts, and two working DC's. Neither of the scrap DC's have fans.

If anyone's interested i would happily buy a fan, doesnt matter what condition as long as it spins :p
Or i could trade, i have two dreamcasts worth of working spare parts. Any interest just PM or post.

Does anyone know that Dreamcast site that has forums for trading? i went on a while ago, any help?
Orange_Ribbon wrote:It is also the reason why you can't wear tight pants. Damn anal warts.

Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

Maybe an old 486 heatsink fan off ebay
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

I'm sure you could squeeze in a 40mm. But it wouldn't be a direct replacement in many DCs - it would require you to do something about the fan detection/feedback/whatever. Might be as simple as a resistor, but I don't know anyone that has tried that method.
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.
ptr.exe
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ptr.exe »

Tricking the DC into thinking theres a fan connected is no problem - just connect the third pin to ground with a small resistor.

Yeah a 40mm could work, Where can i get a 40mm fan? )()(

Does no one know that site? it was set up not too long ago, there was a link somewhere on this site, it was a vBulletin forum and was purely for trading hardware. Any help would be great.

matt, thats what i thought my best bet would be from an old CPU heatsink or just an old PC fan, they used to be tiny. Do modern laptops not use small fans?

dcmodder
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by dcmodder »

as a matter of fact i just got done cleaning out one of my friends laptops and it had a fan that looked exactly like a dreamcast fan.
wont u be my friend?
royhubbs
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by royhubbs »

theres this site for selling/trading doesnt seem to be the most active, but you might have some luck

http://forums.dcpawnshop.com
dcmodder
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by dcmodder »

not sure if this place is still selling stuff. but you might give em a shot. here
ptr.exe
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ptr.exe »

royhubbs, thats the site i was thinking of, it seems active enough. thanks.

dcmodder, cheers for the link but i think i'll be better trading as i have two DC's worth of parts.

Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

I have tons of spare dc parts, but I am in the states, so shipping would prolly kill you....
royhubbs
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by royhubbs »

you be welcome ptr,
ptr.exe
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ptr.exe »

Just wondering how does everyone know im not from US? people immediatley assume, funny.

Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

Not so terribly long ago, 40mm fans were common on CPU heatsinks. However, you can still get they new, no need to buy used parts. Is there a UK-specific equivalent to pricewatch/pricegrabber? You're going to want something fairly low RPM or it'll be a screamer. If you want something really small and aren't having any luck, the best place to look is PC northbridge fans. Many of those would be absolutely perfect. You could also look at GPU fans to a lesser extent (I say lesser extent because they tend to be designed to be integrated with a heatsink to be ultra low profile, and may not have a seperate frame).
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.