Installing a Dreamcast Mod Chip...with a twist

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Installing a Dreamcast Mod Chip...with a twist

Post by Nick »

Basically, I need to know if anyone has instructions for installing a 4 Wire Dreamchip into a DC with a new version bios (MPR- 21931-X1). All the diagrams located on the net are for the other (much more common) variation of the Dreamcast board.

If it helps, the DC was built in November 2000.
Very sexy hero, omg
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

it may not even work on it.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
revengeofLaEternal
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by revengeofLaEternal »

Can you use a boot disc? Not a mod chip, but the next best thing :wink:
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by Nick »

I found a guide, but the link was broken. So there must be some way to install them. :?
Very sexy hero, omg
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by arrowhead »

The link might be broken because it wasnt a real guide. Im not too sure about it, but I am almost positive that the latest bios is not compatible with a 4 wire mod. One way to make sure is this: is your GDrom attached by a metal base and 3 screws, or a plastic base and a bunch of wires? If it is attached with the metal base I think there might be hope, if it is a plastic base, there is a no go on the 4 wire mod chip.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Yeah, AFAIK the 4-wire mod depends on having essentially an exact match between the mod and the BIOS's code path (not just the code itself, but the execution order etc. up to the point where the important bits are copied to RAM), otherwise it'll just patch some other bits. From an engineering standpoint it is an extremely gross hack, but impressive in its own way.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer