XBOX Dying/Dead

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
No Name
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

XBOX Dying/Dead

Post by No Name »

My XBOX has been slowly dying and now it seems to be dead. When it is turned on with either the eject or power button, the green power light flashes, but there is no video and the drive never opens. This is the original model (I think people call it 1.0).
mmm.... n00b blood
DCFan2004
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DCFan2004 »

Its in a coma state most likely. Basically the main memory bank has become corrupted and can't read the data off it to boot up. I had this happen to one of my xboxes and its not too hard to fix as long as you can solder and have a steady hand and some patience. http://llamma.com/xbox/Repairs/ComaConsole.htm go there, it tell you exactly what you're going to solder so that you can force your box to boot from one of the other 3 memory banks.
No Name
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by No Name »

Okay I'll give that a shot. Its not like I have anything to lose, its long out of warranty.
mmm.... n00b blood
DCFan2004
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DCFan2004 »

also, another tip, use a 15W soldering iron, and really small gauge wiring like 22mm or thinner. The traces you need to solder to are pretty small, so using those two things will make it less of a bitch to solder. Good Luck.
No Name
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by No Name »

I just opened up my XBOX and found the solder points. There is no way I can ever solder to those. I am correct in thinking that this could be solved by sticking a (preferably solderless) modchip in it?
mmm.... n00b blood
DCFan2004
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DCFan2004 »

No Name wrote:I just opened up my XBOX and found the solder points. There is no way I can ever solder to those. I am correct in thinking that this could be solved by sticking a (preferably solderless) modchip in it?
I couldn't tell you. My box is softmodded so its still running of the systems memory banks. I guess if the chip has its own, then perhaps it would work. As for the points, yea they're pretty much a bitch to do, it took me a good half hour of frustration to get done, but ti works and thats all that matters.
No Name
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by No Name »

I just got the chip I ordered (Spider v1.1) and installed it. The XBOX now turns on and displays video, I just need to get around to getting a BIOS flashed on the chip.
mmm.... n00b blood