My brother and I played double Resident Evil!

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
GyroVorbis
Elysian Shadows Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

My brother and I played double Resident Evil!

Post by GyroVorbis »

Yeah, we had both been wanting to rebeat all of the Resident Evil games starting with 1 - Code: Veronica. I got this crazy idea and it ended up being pretty damn fun.

We took two TVs and put them in the same room right next to each other and we both played at the exact same place at the exact same time on different versions. Not only was it damn fun, but you could also see the exact differences in the version. Here's what we played:

I had
Resident Evil - Sega Saturn
Resident Evil 2 - Dreamcast
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis - Dreamcast
Resident Evil Code: Veronica - Dreamcast

My brother had
Resident Evil Director's Cuts - Playstation
Resident Evil 2 - Playstation/N64 (yeah, he switched)
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis - Playstation
Resident Evil Code: Veronica - Playstation 2

Now that I've seen the differences, I can tell you which console they play better on.

Resident Evil is tough to choose. I'd have to say Saturn though. The Playstation version seems to have a few little extra "cutscenes" but the Saturn has a lot less jaggies and smoother in-game graphics. Not to mention it has an extra battle mode after you beat it.

Resident Evil 2 plays best on DC. The character models have been drastically upgraded and the graphics are way smoother than the Playstation. N64 isn't far behind though. It has terrible quality movies, but the in-game graphics are infinately better than Playstation's. Oh, and Dreamcast has a lot of extras. I mean a lot.

Resident Evil 3 plays equally on DC and Playstation. I'd have to say DC wins though. It has VMU support and it has a lot of little extras. The Mercinaries is also unlocked right when you play rather than having to beat the game to unlock it.

Code Veronica is also tough. I think it looks and plays better on DC, not to mention the whole VMU support with life meter is totally cool. Neither of the versions seem to be much different at all. Maybe I'm wrong, but the DC version seems to have the better graphics, although some rooms look more colorful on PS2.
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis »

I was curious to see which versions you felt were best, especially since I've never played any GameCube remake.
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by gamedudex2 »

get the re 1 remake on gamecube, :) also 0 and 4 . i still need to play 4
Untamed
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Untamed »

Pretty nifty. :)
"Ignorance can be cured, stupidity cannot."
Roofus wrote:Gay marriage and donkey rape are the same thing. Duh. :roll:
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

The Saturn version cannot be compared to the crappy PSX Director's Cut. They totally messed the director's cut up, changing all the haunting music into pure crap.
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis »

Yeah, I agree.
OldSkoolGamer
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by OldSkoolGamer »

melancholy wrote:The Saturn version cannot be compared to the crappy PSX Director's Cut. They totally messed the director's cut up, changing all the haunting music into pure crap.
GyroVorbis wrote:Yeah, I agree.
Indeed. When I played through the first RE, I played the Dual Shock Director's Cut version. Not long after that I found a copy of the original (complete with the big old case and manual) for cheap, and I played through that. I like force feedback, but I'd take the original music over a few rumbles anyday.
StriderXg2
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
Location: http://www.youtube.com/rkotm for my films about gaming and such.

Post by StriderXg2 »

The Saturn version is so damn hard, it may be me and my rusty game skills(i dont play much anymore) but this game is harder than the PSX one. I havent gotten too far to enjoy and notice the differences from the PSX version besides the music.
Sanchez
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Sanchez »

Yeah, but no matter what, nothing says it better than "Thanks for saving me Barry, I was almost a Jill sandwich..."
"This is worse than when the Raccoon got in the copier!"
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

RE1 for GC is really good. I personally didn't get into RE0, it just bored me for some reason. Id really like to get RE4, but I am buying a house so I can't afford stuff like that ATM :/
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Id really like to get RE4, but I am buying a house so I can't afford stuff like that ATM :/
RE4 is sweet! :D
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
revengeofLaEternal
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by revengeofLaEternal »

Veggita2099 wrote:RE1 for GC is really good. I personally didn't get into RE0, it just bored me for some reason. Id really like to get RE4, but I am buying a house so I can't afford stuff like that ATM :/
congrats on the house