Sailor Moon

A forum for news and discussion about Beats of Rage and its modification.
SSJMihoshi
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by SSJMihoshi »

Hey, some of us laymen like the newer consoles! All I have is a PS2 and comp. Before that, all I had was a Commodore 64. I was a deprived child. ^^; I was the best at Frogger though.
~The only nerd I know is Warhammer 40k. Oh, and there's particle physics, but that doesn't count.~
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Also bad form talking about Atari graphics like that. You try building stuff 100% in assembly in 1978 with no dev history to build from and having to do bank switching just to get enough memory to crank out those "bad graphics."
The 2600 has bad graphics because it's a cheap system. Others were doing better graphics, they just weren't trying to sell a system for $200. Developers did amazing things with it under the circumstances, but the graphics are still pretty bad for the most part. Blaming the programmers would be bad form, but using the 2600 as a reference point for bad graphics makes perfect sense
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
InsaneDavid
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by InsaneDavid »

Geez, how'd I know that my one JOKING comment would bring everyone out of the woodwork to piss and moan. :roll: I wasn't hating on the new consoles, hell, I wrote one of the original PS2 DRE repair tutorials! All I was saying is look where we are right now, DCEmulation, for the most part when people think BoR they think Dreamcast. (at least a hell of a lot more people think Dreamcast than DOSBox) Also play on the DC doesn't require modification, no internal installs, no mod chips = ease for the common gamer. And that's who kungpow is trying to reach with this mod right, the common gamer and/or moonie? "here, burn this file with this program and put it in your DC, done" is the most attractive and unintimidating way to play these games. Again, as you said about laymen, the laymens way to play these games is to burn a given file with a given program and pop it in - not to play 1337 hardware modder. :)

You can't poke one point at the shortcommings of the Atari VCS. The biggest one would be that Warner hadn't updated the design in nearly ten years by the time they said "oh shit" and realized that they didn't know what they were talking about. (If you're of my age then you remember when Atari tried cramming the 7800 down NES owner's throats and their whole "under 50 bucks" campaign) Developing for it was a nightmare as there was no "middleware" at the time, the console was horribly underpowered when it came to memory (again because it hadn't been redesigned aside from getting smaller physically - whereas the competition had memory expansions up the ass). In fact the only home division of Atari that continued to expand was the Home Computer division - the Atari 5200 Supersystem is really just a repackaged Atari 800XL computer. Not to mention Warner killing the company from whithin and the internal release schedules being insane - we all know the story about E.T. and Howard Scott Warshaw. Then of course the grand saturation of the industry - there were very few companies (Activision, Imagic) that cared enough to make good looking entertaining games, many of them were just cranking them out fast as possible to turn a quick buck - which the weight of all those crap titles is what collapsed beneath the industry itself. You also have to remember that it was a time when this young virgining business called the game industry was in it's infantcy and not everyone knew exactly what they were doing just yet. Go to CGE sometime (next one is in 2007) and listen to some keynotes and get it from those that were in the trenches back then. :wink:

Let's not get into how the Genesis was based around the Atari ST computer architecture - nothing more than a rip-off of Atari?s European market technology. (Atari did win an unconditional victory in court) Or how MSX software can be made to run on a Colecovision with the right conditions, etc. I put up with that enough at Digital Press every day or so. :lol:

Back to reality.

Wasn't trying to make potshots at anyone or any software platform, just saying easy is better, especially to reach the largest crowd possible which Tom has told me is something he'd like to do. :wink:
...controller hasn't killed me yet.
Shinto
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Shinto »

Hey kungpow12345, Here's my contribute towards a Front Case For Sailor Moon!

Moon Prism Power!

http://borrevolution.vg-network.com/cgi ... ;start=0#0
Yeah I'm Back, So Be Happy!
InsaneDavid
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by InsaneDavid »

Speaking of covers, here's the one I'm working on...

Note that this is a development sample, at a much lower resolution (to keep bandwidth usage down - this is compressed 20%) and watermarked as I still may change a few things. Also I need to talk with Kungpow about some things having to do with the back cover, stuff I need so that ideally my case art would be available at the release of the SM+ mod.
djray
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by djray »

i like the general look of that cover ID, but i'm not the biggest fan of that font!!!
InsaneDavid
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by InsaneDavid »

djray wrote:i like the general look of that cover ID, but i'm not the biggest fan of that font!!!
It looks better at full resolution, more like sterling silver. I tried more conventional fonts but they looked like crap honestly.
kungpow12345
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by kungpow12345 »

That really looks nice. I'm going to be taking more pictures towards the end so you can have some decent pictures for the back.
If you've got an ass, I'll kick it!
InsaneDavid
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by InsaneDavid »

kungpow12345 wrote:That really looks nice. I'm going to be taking more pictures towards the end so you can have some decent pictures for the back.
Yeah, that'd be great. I need a handfull of screens (mostly in game, maybe one from a cenematic, etc.) and a game features list to continue with the back insert. I've already developed the overall look of the DR back insert as well and it's going to kick ass. Not to mention the SMR+ artwork.
zman
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by zman »

Out of curiousity and such. This Sailer Moon project seems to be more of a production. Looking forward to the box set. Anyways, all this time and effort is being used, so I was wondering if any consideration for a mock up of a instruction manual is planned. That would complete the game I would think, but again it's not me working on this project, so I look forward to the results when published.
kungpow12345
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by kungpow12345 »

Well I've considered it. I think that'd be an interesting idea for sure. Speaking of which, I've decided to release two versions of this game: "remake" and of course this version Sailor Moon Plus. The remake will have the japanese actresses and none of the extra cinematics that I added but I think I'll keep the translated ending cinematic just so you know what happens at the end (for the non-Sailor Moon fans),plus absolutely none of the extra changes I made for SMP will be in this version to keep the original game intact. Sailor Moon Plus will of course have the new intro I created just for the game, a reworked genesis opening that looks uber cool in this version, the new voice cast, new breakables and of course reworked moves! If you remember the "fire version" of Thunderclap, the moves will follow the same suite, well the ones I can easily edit. Needless to say, weither you like the original japanese cast or you wanna get this new version of Sailor Moon a try, you can have the best of both worlds.
If you've got an ass, I'll kick it!
InsaneDavid
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by InsaneDavid »

zman wrote:Out of curiousity and such. This Sailer Moon project seems to be more of a production. Looking forward to the box set. Anyways, all this time and effort is being used, so I was wondering if any consideration for a mock up of a instruction manual is planned. That would complete the game I would think, but again it's not me working on this project, so I look forward to the results when published.
Instruction manuals = piracy honestly. For Destiny Revival that would be fine but the urge to simply reproduce the SM and SMR Super Famicom manuals in English, and the ease of bootlegging this mod to eBay, etc. are just too apparent. In other words, I ain't doing it. :lol: I mean it's BoR, it's a beat-em-up, 1/3 of the game (same with fighting games) is ease to pick up and play and learn and figure out the intracacies on one's own.
kungpow12345 wrote:Well I've considered it. I think that'd be an interesting idea for sure. Speaking of which, I've decided to release two versions of this game: "remake" and of course this version Sailor Moon Plus. The remake will have the japanese actresses and none of the extra cinematics that I added but I think I'll keep the translated ending cinematic just so you know what happens at the end (for the non-Sailor Moon fans),plus absolutely none of the extra changes I made for SMP will be in this version to keep the original game intact. Sailor Moon Plus will of course have the new intro I created just for the game, a reworked genesis opening that looks uber cool in this version, the new voice cast, new breakables and of course reworked moves! If you remember the "fire version" of Thunderclap, the moves will follow the same suite, well the ones I can easily edit. Needless to say, weither you like the original japanese cast or you wanna get this new version of Sailor Moon a try, you can have the best of both worlds.
SM+ will be the only version I do artwork for, again, for the piracy reasons above. I don't want to sound like an ass or anything but if people want to play the "originals" they should go pick up the SFC cartridges. However I am extremely glad you are releasing them as TWO seperate releases and not one combined image. (If I remember correctly something like that was flying around a LONG time ago)

I also need a little information, as in what derivitive of BoR the DC version of SM+ will be compiled under, as well as those screen snaps. Sorry I haven't been around much, trying to get the rest of my NES testing stuff done since NES flashcarts are on the horizon, etc. I won't bore you with that. :lol: Send a handful of screen snaps to insanedavid@classicplastic.net so I can get the back case art finished, that's really all I'm waiting on. Oh, and what build of BoR it runs under as said above. I'll try to get that audio sent to you as soon as I can.