Sailor Moon

A forum for news and discussion about Beats of Rage and its modification.
kungpow12345
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by kungpow12345 »

Hey guys, thanks a lot for those comments. :D Actually Mrgrill, I'm using fan actresses for the voice overs. I have more control over them that way and it's very impressive when you can get actresses that nail the "american counterparts" like nothing at all.

...also I'm glad I inspired you to watch Sailor Moon. I can tell you that the english dub is somewhat silly some times but watching it in the original japanese uncut, It makes more sense. You also need to see the Live action series that just came out about a year ago...but it's still popular today. It's called Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon.

Once again guys thank you very much and I won't let you guys down.
If you've got an ass, I'll kick it!
kungpow12345
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by kungpow12345 »

...I've been thinking really hard about this and I've thought about moving DR back again to December the 5th. I can release the remakes on both the 22nd and the 29th of October. It makes more sense to me of doing that then being stressing out about everything that's going on. That and I still don't have everything I need; Mostly voice overs. Plus, I've gotta give my artists more time. I have to say, by far, this is the most intense beats of rage project I've ever had to endure. ...one way or another I'm releasing this game. ...that much is certain. I just didn't want to make it half-ass...especially for the sake of the fans...and for everyone here in the bor community. I've put a lot of heart and soul into this one...so don't be surprised if this is quite possibly my last mod for a while...I need a break... :?
InsaneDavid
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by InsaneDavid »

kungpow12345 wrote:You also need to see the Live action series that just came out about a year ago...but it's still popular today. It's called Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon.
*goes into moonie mode*

PGSM is what killed Sailormoon. It was because of PGSM that TOEI didn't attempt to renew the animation license when the rights to Sailormoon reverted back to Miss Takeuchi. TOEI's big angle was that the rights for the animated series' needed to die so that it would dissapear in favor of PGSM's worldwide distributorship - which never happened. In fact PGSM ran it's 49 episodes and was canned, with two video only release movies that streamed out on the tail end of the trainwreck it created. So PGSM goes dead in the water and dormant and because of it ALL rights for Sailormoon ANYTHING are dissolved, this means:

ADV Films had to quit printing and selling the Sailormoon and SailormoonR subtitled DVD boxsets even though they were selling very well dispite the hiccup with that bad disc 5, where the problem ADV "caught" was one that didn't exist. Instead of an audio problem on the episode they mentioned, that episode wasn't even included and the audio problem was on the previous episode, they did fix it all however.

Pioneer (which became Genon) had to quit printing and selling SailormoonS, Sailormoon SuperS, the movies, as well as the movie collection boxset and the hurrily created S and SuperS boxsets that Genon released. The whole reason why they pumped out those two boxsets so quick was because they knew the rights were going to be in limbo soon enough. Most fans still perfer the nice foil inlayed Pioneer single disc releases of the S and SuperS series as well as the movies, even though the content is the same. Heck, I'm one of them, the boxsets of this were nowhere as nicely presented as the ADV ones, single disc all the way here.

TOKYOPOP (formerly Mixx) wanted to begin reprinting the Sailormoon, Sailormoon SuperS, and Sailormoon Stars English manga translations due to huge fan requests. (the first three arcs [SM, SMR, SMS] were all mashed into "Sailormoon" although they're all intact, well as much as the translations are) This is even though that Sailormoon was Mixx's very first manga translation (remember Mixxzine people?) and reguarded as it's poorest, it was still better than nothing and is very much decent. However they couldn't begin to reprint or redistribute the translation because, that's right kiddies, the rights were not available.

This also means that Sailormoon can not be shown on television as syndication rights dissapeared with all the others. You might have noticed last year some "local" VHF networks were showing Sailormoon and SailormoonR early in the morning, we're talking like ABC and CBS affiliates in some cities. This was The Program Exchange squeezing out the last couple dollars they could earn before the rights went up in smoke.

Additionally this totally killed any possibility for a US SailorStars dub, at least anytime in the concievable future and by then well, the people that buy the products that support the production won't be interested in an anime series from the mid 1990's unless it's something overrated like NGE or Cowboy Bebop. Also means no SailorStars subtitled DVD release because the only thing that kept that door open was when ADV and Pioneer were making money on the other four seasons of subtitled or hybrid DVD releases. With the rights gone that's pretty much that, no reason to fight it, no reason to care. Once the dust settles for awhile, even if the rights do become available again, the momentum of "damnit, we're finally going to push hard and get this series out how it was meant to be" will be all but gone.

Lastly, the reward we were all supposed to get from this - PGSM in the United States and other worldwide distribution. Isn't going to happen. Dubbing live action series where you ACTUALLY have to synch the mouth movements is too expensive even in the digital era for the small amount of money the series would make. And you can't subtitle mainstream live action shows aimed at young children. In Japan it didn't do as well as everyone though it would, especially after the "Did you hear, a new Sailormoon is coming!" information bites years before PSGM began production. 49 episodes does not equal a complete series run in Japan, I don't care what anyone says.

And that was it, or at least it is now and that's how it looks. SOS USA even finally called it quits a couple years ago, they knew what was going to happen. Funny how they started it and other SOS campaigns (SOS Deutschland is a good example and one I was a part of briefly) were more successful far faster. Oh well, we got almost all of it, but that just makes what remains all that more painful to see sitting there. (SailorStars and the SuperS specials)

Along with that any hope of having Codename is Sailor V translated went out the door as well as the obvious suggestion of making a Sailor V spinoff anime series since Sailormoon was a spinoff of Codename is Sailor V. At least that live action US Sailormoon movie starring Alicia Silverstone back in 1999 never happened - but only because we faught it.

"Tell him the dream is over." - The Rocketeer.

While I'm bitter toward the PGSM series for the reasons above I will recommend that you all check out the Sera-Myu videos if you can get your hands on them. These are basically high production Sailormoon theater shows that were done for years after the series ended, in fact they continue to this day! They're actually really well done and the people that portray the characters do a better job than those on PGSM. It's like Sailormoon rock opera. Check out the link below for more information...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seramyu

*moonie mode over*

Please excuse me for doing that. :lol: Those new screenies look great! I'd say this is the most intense BoR project period. Maybe even moreso than the original game creation itself. December 5th is fine, like I've been saying, take your time and don't get burned out. However I'm going to give you some "devver's warning" here. Don't let projects stretch through Christmas because rarely does anyone want to pick them up afterwards. I've been a victim of this twice myself and it's crippling both to the project at hand and to those who do wish to continue. Wouldn't want to see that happen to you. :)
...controller hasn't killed me yet.
kungpow12345
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by kungpow12345 »

I'm not going to let this project drag on any longer than the 5th of Dec. I've talked this over with my team and they're extremely confident that we can meet this new deadline. It was a hard time for me even trying to get the artists and the voice actresses because of college or school whichever. I was lucky to get a team as talented as mine and I'll do anything to keep them, even if I have to give them more time.

I know TOEI and Bandai doesn't give a crap about Sailor Moon but I sure do so that's why I've decided to push on and make even more beat em ups, finishing up the series and projecting that I should be done with the entire series in August of 2006.

David, if you can, please send me a synopsis of S and Super S so I can get started on grabbing youmas and whatever stages I can find.

...I'll pm you about my new ideas for the next few games. I'm sure you'll like what I have planned. You'll see a little taste of it in the R remake but that's all I'm going to say now. :D

Keep the faith.
InsaneDavid
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by InsaneDavid »

kungpow12345 wrote:David, if you can, please send me a synopsis of S and Super S so I can get started on grabbing youmas and whatever stages I can find.
I'll do you one even better, episode by episode synopsis...

http://www.tcp.com/doi/smoon/episodes/index.html
kungpow12345
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by kungpow12345 »

It does good for plot but not for settings. :roll: Now I know you might mind this but some others might not, but I was thinking for the Sailor Moon S game of making a few new youmas but they will be ones that were not in the first two games. The only thing is, they're in the Sailor Moon and Sailor Moon R series, Injector for sure. She's the girl that looks like a nurse and her arms look like needles. I ripped the gemini twins from the genesis game and actually, if you think about it, there's a lot of good youmas in that game and so I guess you can say I can't "run out" of youmas per say. I'm going to be sending you a PM in a few hours. Be watching for it :P
InsaneDavid
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by InsaneDavid »

kungpow12345 wrote:It does good for plot but not for settings. :roll: Now I know you might mind this but some others might not, but I was thinking for the Sailor Moon S game of making a few new youmas but they will be ones that were not in the first two games. The only thing is, they're in the Sailor Moon and Sailor Moon R series, Injector for sure. She's the girl that looks like a nurse and her arms look like needles. I ripped the gemini twins from the genesis game and actually, if you think about it, there's a lot of good youmas in that game and so I guess you can say I can't "run out" of youmas per say. I'm going to be sending you a PM in a few hours. Be watching for it :P
I dumped my Sailormoon and SailormoonR subtitled tapes last year (was going to grab the DVD boxsets but things came up). Currently all I have on hand is the entire S season, most of SuperS (mainly the first half) and the Sailorstars VCD's I used to distro. However given how many times I've watched the entire series (except for Sailorstars, only once for enjoyment, many more times for testing) if you give me good descriptions of the characters I can usually search them out and get you some information. You may want to go the route of original sprite creation for the bosses in the new games after the SailormoonR remake.
kungpow12345
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by kungpow12345 »

Yes I'll definitely go the original route with the main enemies with Sailor Moon S. That or very very good sprite edits. I think once you see what I have going in my SMR Remake, you'll see that I'm up to the task.

If you can make copies of those seasons for me, especially S, I'd be happy to make some deal to pay you for your services. Well anyways, I'll talk to ya later!
InsaneDavid
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by InsaneDavid »

kungpow12345 wrote:If you can make copies of those seasons for me, especially S, I'd be happy to make some deal to pay you for your services. Well anyways, I'll talk to ya later!
No DVD burner (if you people knew how long I keep my computers for... my current main system is built around an AMD Athlon 900MHz) and my VCR crapped out on me last week. ...the f*ing thing almost ate my Galaxy Express 999 tape! :evil: Unrepairable too as there was a chain reaction that killed various parts once things started going bad. Now I don't believe in paying more than $30 for a VCR now days so I'm watching electronic store clearance because I don't like crappy electronics either. But I may be dubbing some VHS tapes later this week with a friend and if the chance arises I'll cram the subtitled Sailormoon S season onto three or so VHS tapes.

Please everyone keep the "that's illegal!" crap to yourselves, remember no one has the rights for distribution anymore anyway and besides - if you were watching Sailormoon S from VHS duplicates or online in RealPlayer in 1997 or so, you probably were watching at least a few episodes that originated from me.
kungpow12345
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by kungpow12345 »

Hey that works for me! :D At least I'll have something to get references from.

Speaking on that, I had a mad idea. Now that you've saw what I could do with backgrounds and sprites, :D (you know what I'm talking about) do you think I could possibly use the backgrounds from Sailor Moon S the game gear game and the genesis game of Sailor Moon and possibly re-create some of the places in Sailor Moon S like the Mugen Academy..(yes I said it. the MUGEN academy), the lab and Tokyo Tower. (I'm slowly getting this information so any advice you can give me will help.) :D

Also, I have a little "special surprise" for when I release the first Sailor Moon remake game. All I can say is, "Look out and Look up" :D

If you don't get that, I'll have to smack you. JK :roll:
InsaneDavid
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by InsaneDavid »

kungpow12345 wrote:do you think I could possibly use the backgrounds from Sailor Moon S the game gear game and the genesis game of Sailor Moon and possibly re-create some of the places in Sailor Moon S...
You have to remember that the graphics in the SailormoonS GameGear game trip the light craptastic, even for the hardware. However you can rework backgrounds from the other games into key locations since for the most part things like outside, shopping center, park, etc. are all pretty much the same. For instance the episode where they fight the Daimon "Steering" takes place in three areas you could probably build off your existing stuff or other SFC games: the Crown Game Center, a sports car circuit, an intercity drainage trench. Also the levels toward the end with Mistress9 and so forth all took place inside Professor Tomoe's mansion and we all know there are a ton of games set in similar places.
kungpow12345
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by kungpow12345 »

Well I know I can get the Crown Game Center from one of the Sailor Moon fighters, but did they actually fight in Crown Game Center? Plus I was thinking about the sports car circuit level. It'd be cool to have cars run by like in the Big Blue level of SSBM and have them smack into the sailor senshi. The question is, where can I grab side view sprites like that and would they be rally sports cars or F-1 racers?

Now what I was planning on doing with the SMS GG backgrounds is just using the backgrounds not the "platforms" and work on adding more shading to them to get them up to 16-bit graphics. I know I can probably grab a few more stages like the lab and the "street" level represented in SMS GG ...from other SFC games. Also, I can get a few more levels from the Genesis game since it's probably not "feeling the love" :)

...one more question, I noticed that one of the youmas or daimons was fought near (or in?) a botancial garden. ...is there any game that you know of that has something like that already?

Just a lot of stuff to look over for Sailor Moon S, that's for sure.

...before i forget, some moonie fans have been disliking my choice in using the S sprites to make up the new forms of the sailor senshi for the remakes. Do you think I should edit their fukus so that they match their counterparts and then for S it won't really matter?

...I just wanted to see what you would say before I did anything.
InsaneDavid
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by InsaneDavid »

kungpow12345 wrote:The question is, where can I grab side view sprites like that and would they be rally sports cars or F-1 racers?
GT cars.
kungpow12345 wrote:...one more question, I noticed that one of the youmas or daimons was fought near (or in?) a botancial garden. ...is there any game that you know of that has something like that already?
Not off hand, maybe Super V.G. has a level that would work? ..I can't remember.
kungpow12345 wrote:...before i forget, some moonie fans have been disliking my choice in using the S sprites to make up the new forms of the sailor senshi for the remakes. Do you think I should edit their fukus so that they match their counterparts and then for S it won't really matter?
Do you mean the S sprites or SuperS sprites? Because there there is a difference. In that case I'd revert to the S sprites for the senshi since that would put them down to the same way they were in R. (remember, the Super versions of the senshi didn't occur until SuperS) So if you're using S sprites (not SuperS) then tell them to cram it. However what you will need to change is the Sailormoon sprite to the R version - ie a lot more plain like in the side scrolling games - since in S, SuperS, and Sailorstars her fuku was a LOT different for each season.

On a side note, anyone want a copy of Super Mario RPG for $30 or a boxed copy of Super Castlevania IV for $10 - I freaking hate when people cancel their invoices at the last minute! :evil:
kungpow12345
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by kungpow12345 »

Well here's what I did for Sailor Moon: I already have her Super Sailor Moon form, I had a friend of mine did a very convincing edit for Eternal Sailor Moon and I ripped her Sailor Moon S version and now that's the version that's in the two beat em up remakes and will be there until Super S.

Now the only difference I really see with the fukus is just the ribbons. Plus I didn't want to rip 3 different sets of sprites like for Sailor Moon, Sailor Moon R, and then finally the fighters. I wanted to keep it constant so I can easily go between the other games and have these awesome versions instead of the badily made SM and SMR sprites. I found this funny but I played both S and Super S and they use the same sprite sets too! :o

So I guess I have to tell em to cram it but.. :roll: I tried :)

:kiss) I'm glad you agree with me on the GT cars. My friend Corwin and I have been talking about the "development" of this game and when I asked him about either GT cars or F1 racers, he was a bit confused at first but then instantly went to GT.

...the only thing is...I gotta find some sprites. I did a very "plain" search for car sprites yesterday and didn't really come up with anything significant.

I'll have to play through both Super VG and Pretty Fighter and see what I can pull and edit. I'm pretty sure Pretty Fighter has a concert stage similar to when the "Three lights" - Yes I know they're the Starlights but I'm trying to keep it accurate heh - are in SailorStars so I could use that for their concert stage and there's a few street levels I could probably "splice" together with the other sailor moon stages and modify.

I think you're right about this being the most intense BoR project to-date. Sadly, this is taking a lot of my free time away (of what I got left). I just hope I can finish the series like I've been dreaming of for years now... :cry: If I do this, I'll die happy.

If anything, this'll go down in gaming history as the mod series to put the final thrown in Bandai and TOEI's side...this is what true games are made of. Blood, sweat and tears and I've shed my fear share of each. If they won't finish what they started, then we sure as hell will. :twisted:
InsaneDavid
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by InsaneDavid »

Don't forget, there were some nice backgrounds in the Sailormoon Super Famicom puzzle games. If you turn off the above layers you should be able to get to them, I'm pretty sure one of them in the Sailorstars SuFami Turbo puzzle game is of the Three Lights stage setup.

For car garages and stuff try the Super Famicom F-1 games (F-1 Circus series, F-1 ROC, etc.) since on the team management screens there will usually be backdrops of garage areas. I'll try to remember if there are any games with sprite-driven side perspective GT cars that come to mind.
kungpow12345
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by kungpow12345 »

Isn't it just me or is that the Super S and Sailor Stars puzzle games were both the ones where the emulation is screwed up a tad in snes9x? I know on Sailor Stars when they go throw their transformation sequence, the audio gets garbled and sometimes I laugh at it. I'll try my best to pull the stages you're talking about.

I did play through both Pretty Fighter and Super VG yesterday just to see what kind of stages I can pull and there's some interesting ones. Since I'm bored, here are the complete stages of Super VG and Pretty Fighter. I'll start with Pretty Fighter first.

(I'm naming these going from left and right on the japanese map)

1) Clock Tower (apparently this is a huge clock on a roof similar to the look of the Marvel vs Capcom 2 level minus the huge gears)

2) Ocean look-out (shockingly enough, this stage looks almost like the ocean look-out stage in Samurai Showdown)

3) Concert (To describe it, you're on the "run way" fighting and the concert is behind you

4)Japanese celebration (I could use this one in Super S for when the Black Circus Gang comes to town? ...I really need some info on that one :oops: )

5) Old Japanese Dojo (Ah the Street Fighter II days, this resembles the many "Ryu dojo" levels, looking out towards an old district of Japan)

6) DOTONBORI - (From all I could take from this one, it's just a massive advertisement on top of a roof somewhere)

7) Street look-out (This looks like the Venice stage in KOF 98)

8) Baseball field (basically you're fighting in the outfield)

Super VG

(I'm naming them by their signs, going again from left to right, some of them are just Kanji so...i couldn't really tell you what they are but i can describe them for what I can write)

1) Hanna Miller's - Restaurant, sit-down, looks like the second stage used in BoR strangely enough

2) Caso's - Japanese street at night, near a coffee shop. If I lightened this one up, this could end up being the battle stage for Hearts in Ice. :roll:

3) Fusiya - Bakery (well you're outside of the bakery and parked beside it, is a sweet car.

4) Indoor Arena (Boxing Ring)

5) Indoor Bar (there's a lot of these in this game :| )

6)SoTo - Concert (This is actually a club so we could use this stage to lead up to the Three Lights concert)

7) TheRival - This is the weirdiest stage I've ever seen in a fighter but the only thing I could think this could be is just a massive advertisement on a roof...It doesn't do much justice to have a blow fish as part of the background :lol: )

8) Momekan - Again, this strangely enough looks like a similar level in one of the beat em ups, Final Fight to be specific. People standing around and smoking...that sort of deal.

9) Jahana - They had to save the best for last but this is the garden stage! :P Two things I could see right now I have to edit before I use it: the color of the flowers, it's gotta be brighter and I gotta get rid of those gargoyles.

I did get Top Gear yesterday hoping that If I burn out or crash or something, I could spin out and get a side view of my car but sadly enough, YOU CAN'T! ...and when you try to wreck a car, you just slow down. Totally weird I say. :x

I'll look at those racers you mentioned and hopefully I can make up a pretty neat level.
kungpow12345
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by kungpow12345 »

I wanted to go ahead and tell you guys what I have left to do on the first remake I'm almost done with, which I'm now calling Sailor Moon Plus because of all of the :roll: fixes I've made:
Fine Tune BBox and attack for heroes
Fine Tune BBox and attack for enemies
Offsets for new enemies created (this is only like 4 or so)
Add Whip to Venus' "spinaround"
Add Stage Tags (I'm about half way done with these)
Spawning (the major thing holding me back of course)
Add Health Items
Add ending credits (someone else is working on this and I'm hoping they're almost finished)
...then all that's left to do after that is just compile the game for both Regular BoR and darkbor...or openbor and then the game will be completed.
InsaneDavid
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by InsaneDavid »

Should call it Sailormoon Arranged and SailormoonR Arranged - like the enhanced remakes of Pac-Man, Galaga, Dig-Dug and Rally-X Namco did in the arcade years back. (no, not the NEW arranged ones in Namco Museum Battle Collection, those are different) Since in addition to the new stuff you've put in the games ARE running at a higher resolution now.

Just the same I can't wait for the release of the first remake. :mrgreen:
kungpow12345
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by kungpow12345 »

here's my update for Sailor Moon Plus:

The following is left to do:
BBOX, Attack for heroes (these are just tweeks)
BBOX, Attack for enemies (ditto)
Add smoke to "carbear" (in the fair level, there's a panda that rides around on a train. Now I can finally hit him off of the track with the right bbox but now he doesn't look right when you "derail" him so I'm going to add some kind of smoke to his sprite to add to the coolness)
Add whip to Venus' "spinaround" (I'm probably going to do this last but it'll be the easiest thing I have to do right now with the adding smoke)
Spawning
After this the last thing to do is to compile for regular bor for the following consoles:
Playstation 2
Xbox
GP32
DC (that is if you're wanting to play just the remake)
PDA or Zodiac
...and after that, I'll compile a special version of the game for the Dreamcast...and believe it or not, I'll be using the DR engine to make a Complete Collection of the first two remakes, plus an ultra secret Sailor Moon mod that I've been brainstorming about since I first started the project...and you guys will be shocked when you figure out just what game I thought of first before I did DR. ...i'll give you a hint, if you look at the game, one site called it as "having worse graphics than an Atari." :D ...but mine won't be that bad. ...ok enough chatting. gotta get to work on this remake. Later.
InsaneDavid
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by InsaneDavid »

Man, F* the XBox and PS2! :lol: Putting them together is cool but I also know that many would like each remake to be a seperate precompiled Dreamcast .CDI file for ease of burning and storage.

Also bad form talking about Atari graphics like that. You try building stuff 100% in assembly in 1978 with no dev history to build from and having to do bank switching just to get enough memory to crank out those "bad graphics." :roll: