Open-Source DreamSNES?

Anything DreamSNES-related can be asked in this forum, such as general questions about the emulator, how to burn it, etc.
mirrorsaw_2000
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Open-Source DreamSNES?

Post by mirrorsaw_2000 »

Has the DreamSNES team ever considered going open-source? Seems like having more eyes perusing the source code would be beneficial...perhaps people with the know-how could suggest ways to get additional speed boosts, or help find bugs...maybe even submit code to be included in the next release.

Maybe they have their reasons...I dunno. I wouldn't mind taking a crack at the code myself, although I don't know jack shit about programming. I just wanna make some minor changes for testing purposes.
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Open-Source DreamSNES?

Post by 404NotFound »

mirrorsaw_2000 wrote: Has the DreamSNES team ever considered going open-source? Seems like having more eyes perusing the source code would be beneficial...perhaps people with the know-how could suggest ways to get additional speed boosts, or help find bugs...maybe even submit code to be included in the next release.

Maybe they have their reasons...I dunno. I wouldn't mind taking a crack at the code myself, although I don't know jack shit about programming. I just wanna make some minor changes for testing purposes.
I have never really seen an open source emu for the DC go open soucre and have improvements made to it. I've seen many PC emus go open source and have improvements made one, I.E. Snes9x, Stella, Nester etc, but to release the source for an emu on the DC just strikes me as... useless?
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter

Post by atf487 »

Maybe a CVS could be useful.
kRYPT_
DCFactory Creator
DCFactory Creator

Open-Source DreamSNES?

Post by kRYPT_ »

DreamSNES is based on the Snes9x sources, and as such it has to be opensourced (GPL is viral remember, it infects anything touching GPL'd code).

I'm just waiting for them to release sources...
mirrorsaw_2000 wrote: Has the DreamSNES team ever considered going open-source? Seems like having more eyes perusing the source code would be beneficial...perhaps people with the know-how could suggest ways to get additional speed boosts, or help find bugs...maybe even submit code to be included in the next release.

jworg
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by jworg »

While it is true that GPL infects code, that doesn't mean that the parts Peter, Per and Marcus legally has to release is useful to anyone else. Most of the interesting code is either in their libronin library that DreamSNES uses or in the custom tools used to build DreamSNES.

I guess they would be willing to release the code if they got guarantees that nobody would ever contact them about it...
WeAreVigilant
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by WeAreVigilant »

snes9x aint gpl
NiGHTSFTP
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by NiGHTSFTP »

"I have never really seen an open source emu for the DC go open soucre and have improvements made to it."

Uh... Nester?

BTW, the only non-worked-on-opensource DC emu was DcGen. I wonder why that was... oh well.

I dont know about any other ones.
Signatures images may be no greater than cock pixels high by dick pixels wide in dimension and balls kilobytes in filesize. Multiple images may be wang, but in total they may not exceed the johnson specifications.
kRYPT_
DCFactory Creator
DCFactory Creator

Post by kRYPT_ »

Upon closer inspection, you're right.. it seems to have it's own weird license.
WeAreVigilant wrote: snes9x aint gpl