PSOne screen

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

PSOne screen

Post by melancholy »

I got a PSOne screen today really cheap at Blockbuster because they said it was missing parts. I was pretty sure there wasn't any extra parts beyond the screen itself, so I snatched it up. However, when I got it home and checked out the manual to it, it says that the screen has it's own power adapter and that the PSOne adapter could cause damage to the screen. I looked at the specs for the missing adapter compared to the PSOne adapter and they look identical. So, should I worry about damaging my screen, or should I ignore the warnings?
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800
Been thanked: 0

Post by Skynet »

How cheap we talking here?
If it was cheap enough that you won't miss it if it's gone, then go ahead. But if you're worried about losing the screen, I'd say wait until you get feedback from someone who knows :P
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Pyrosurfer
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Pyrosurfer »

I'm sure the voltage is the same, but is the amperage the same? If there isn't enough amperage to run both the screen and psone, it won't break, it just will be underpowered.

If its the same voltage its safe to try it.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

i have a psone and the official sony screen

normal adapter: 7.5 V 2.0 amp
screen adapter: 7.5 V 3.0 amp

i have run some tests with my psone and screen to see how many amps it actually uses (to see how battery life would be on a portable) and i couldnt get it above 1.5 amps of power usage with the screen, 1 controller and 1 mc

so what i think is, your safe with the old 2.0 amp adapter, just dont max out volume and brightness on the screen or something, and for the first times you run it, keep a close eye on the adapter to see if its still ok

if you have a multimeter you could do some tests yourself to see how much your machine pulls, but im quite sure its the same as mine
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

I've read that the draw can go to above 2A when you first turn it on, and sometimes during gameplay.

Maybe you can find an adaptor on eBay - either a specific one, or one of those universal ones. It might be difficult finding one powerful enough, though...
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

well, as i said, i did my own trials with my screen/psone and multimeter, and the highest i ever saw was 1,55 Amp, that was when turning the machine on or loading data from disc, in typical gameplay it was around 1,1-1,2 amps, and you could rise ,1 amp by setting the screen brightness 100%

i have tested three games, all three gave the same results, so i dont see any reason why it wouldnt work
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

The screen alone is meant to draw 1A constantly, if you're using an unmodified official Sony screen :o.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Well, I tried playing it for about three hours today. I didn't notice anything go wrong. I put the setting at about half of the brightness and a quarter of the sound. So I suppose as long as I don't go over half on either setting, I should be fine. Still, the PSOne/screen combo cost me about $50 total, so it's not a big loss if something goes wrong, but I'm sure I couldn't replace the combo for that cheap, though.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

az_bont wrote:The screen alone is meant to draw 1A constantly, if you're using an unmodified official Sony screen :o.
no it isnt, its supplied with a adapter which allows for the screen to use up to 1 amp above the theoretical max of 2 amps for ther system itself, the 2 amp limit for the system itself is never to be reached, the system itself will never go that high, same goes for the screen

i think sony went safe with the adapters, most people will never even draw 1 amp with their psone, but someone might with some dumb perif on some power hungry game, so they have to make sure the psu can handle it at all times

think about it, whats cheaper, making a slightly more powerfull psu, or suffer several lawsuit due to PSU catching fire or systems crashing, not to mention the bad rep that would give you
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

DrFreeze wrote:
az_bont wrote:The screen alone is meant to draw 1A constantly, if you're using an unmodified official Sony screen :o.
no it isnt, its supplied with a adapter which allows for the screen to use up to 1 amp above the theoretical max of 2 amps for ther system itself, the 2 amp limit for the system itself is never to be reached, the system itself will never go that high, same goes for the screen
There are several people building portable PSone consoles that have measured the draw of the screen to be 1A. They also report that it drops to only a third of that if you replace the backlighting with bright white LEDs.

http://www.benheck.com

I'm not saying either is correct, as I have never tried this before. I've just been reading a lot of posts about portabilizing PSone consoles and they often mention these figures.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

hmmm, i see

well maybe my screen is a newer revision, and sony went with a less powersucking backlight

this would be worth investigating
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Okay, how about this? Best Buy were selling the car adapters for the PSOne/screen combo for only $1.99, so I picked one up. Now, since it is made for the screen, could I use one of those car plug adapters that let you plug it into a normal house outlet? Would that be okay, or would that be even worse?
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

just check what kind of output the car adapter has, if its over 7.5 volt 2.0 amps, its better then what you got now