About dc overclocking...

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
rhubarb505
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

About dc overclocking...

Post by rhubarb505 »

what voltage does the new clock need to run at, i looked for some faqs but couldnt find anything useful.
"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot
read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn." - Alvin Toffler
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

Know one knows, very few have even got there DC at 240Mhz. No one has upped the voltage yet, it could just burn it out instantly we don;t know yet
rhubarb505
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by rhubarb505 »

...crap, what about the people that have gotten their dcs to 240, what voltage did they use?
"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot
read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn." - Alvin Toffler
Pyrosurfer
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Pyrosurfer »

I think he means oscillator voltage. It should specify what voltage it needs at the place you bought it from.
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

The DC has 3.3, 5, and 12v rails available. I'm selling oscillator kits that run off the 5VDC line, had good luck with them so far.
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

...crap, what about the people that have gotten their dcs to 240, what voltage did they use?
And for the record, I've gotten mine to 276.
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
Morphv2
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Morphv2 »

Very nice. Now we simply have to find the pin lead for voltage. If discovered, I volunteer to try it first, since I am getting another DC next weekend.

Worse comes to worse, it burns out, then I have connectors I can use :p
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

I run mine right off the 5v rail, I still have some crystals if you want some. My biggest problem is getting good connections, as I keep trying to improve my setup.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

i think what morph is getting at is the Vcore, or core voltage

in OCing it is common practice to increase the voltage when the system becomes unstable at high clocks, the slightly higher voltage on the cpu helps it remain stable

if we could get a higher voltage into the sh4, it can go even higher, 300 mhz might be possible, who knows?
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
Morphv2
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Morphv2 »

precisely!
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

DrFreeze wrote:i think what morph is getting at is the Vcore, or core voltage

in OCing it is common practice to increase the voltage when the system becomes unstable at high clocks, the slightly higher voltage on the cpu helps it remain stable

if we could get a higher voltage into the sh4, it can go even higher, 300 mhz might be possible, who knows?
Uh.. no crap. That's what we've been trying to say the whole time. Problem is SOMEONE HAS TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO DO IT. It's not as simple as just running a different voltage to that pin of the CPU. The CPU is BGA, meaning you can't just pull it out of a socket and find the pin. Nothing goes through the PCB, so you need to find the point the voltage is coming from and bypass it and put in your own voltage. That being said, don't count on it.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Well, what i would do, is since there are only two components powerd by 3.3v the cpu and the gd drive, i would split the power from the power supply directly to the gdrom, then attach a voltage regulator to the 3.3v pin on the motherboard to slowly increase the voltage.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Xylene wrote:
DrFreeze wrote:i think what morph is getting at is the Vcore, or core voltage

Uh.. no crap. That's what we've been trying to say the whole time. Problem is SOMEONE HAS TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO DO IT. It's not as simple as just running a different voltage to that pin of the CPU. The CPU is BGA, meaning you can't just pull it out of a socket and find the pin. Nothing goes through the PCB, so you need to find the point the voltage is coming from and bypass it and put in your own voltage. That being said, don't count on it.
dude, easy ok, i know you have been saying that for ages, and i know its true, and im not questioning you or your knowledge

its just that fatheadpi seemed tohave misunderstood MorphV2, so i took it upon myself to explain

also, the cpu's internal voltage would be regulated from the 3.3 or 5 v rail by voltage regulators, it would be pretty damn impossible to increase it from the psu side, the V regulators are made to take lets say any voltage from 3.3 to 10 volts, and produce a stable Vcore out of it, im not sure what type of Vregs the DC uses, i would have to open the thing up

the only way i see would be to replace the Vregs with a Vreg which gives out a slightly higher value, but this would be hard as hell, if for instance you go with a .05 increase and it doesnt work very well, say only 10 mhz extra, you'd have to go and desolder the vregs and replace them again, and again for every change
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

The SH-4 series uses a 0.25-?m process and the chip operates at 1.8 V internally from an external supply voltage that can be up to 3.3 V.
http://www.segatech.com/technical/cpu/tech_sh4.html

Unless someone knows how the chip steps down the 3.3v to 1.8v, you aren't going to get any increase.
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

its just that fatheadpi seemed tohave misunderstood MorphV2, so i took it upon myself to explain
And thanks for that.

Over 300 tho... after seeing how goddamn smooth my DC runs at 276Mhz with almost a 25% GPU overclock... I'm sorry, but I just don't see the point in going beyond 280. To each his own, I suppose.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Xylene wrote:
The SH-4 series uses a 0.25-?m process and the chip operates at 1.8 V internally from an external supply voltage that can be up to 3.3 V.

Unless someone knows how the chip steps down the 3.3v to 1.8v, you aren't going to get any increase.
Voltage regulatoras? :roll:
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

DrFreeze wrote:
Xylene wrote:

Voltage regulatoras? :roll:
Yes, but does it do it internally or have something else before it gets to the CPU do it.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

not sure, youll have to open up a DC to find out, and do some googling for datasheet for all components near the sh4
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

fatheadpi wrote:
And thanks for that.

Over 300 tho... after seeing how goddamn smooth my DC runs at 276Mhz with almost a 25% GPU overclock... I'm sorry, but I just don't see the point in going beyond 280. To each his own, I suppose.
Have you had any issues with the overclocked PVR? Are you using VGA?
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Have you had any issues with the overclocked PVR?
Not really issues... I can't play on a TV with the GPU overclock on, but it's no big deal.
Are you using VGA?
Yeah, I've got a 20 inch monitor and an ATI AIW card, so I don't really need a TV.