Putting my DC in an arcade cabinet - Mame & gun?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
dgrams2000
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Putting my DC in an arcade cabinet - Mame & gun?

Post by dgrams2000 »

I'm putting my DC in a huge arcade cab that I'm building.
Mostly for the 3 shooting games and 2 fishing games I have.

By any wierd chance, (and I haven't followed DC Emulation all
that much) Is there lightgun support for any mame games on DC?

I did a search for "MAME LIGHTGUNS" and got so many results
that I was getting a headache... and no direct answers of what
I was looking for.....

Thanks guys. Would love to get more out of my DC if I could!

DG
Warmtoe
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Warmtoe »

There was some lightgun support - briefly - it was never much good, we nee Vortexx to integrate his KOS lightgun driver and then we could do a MAME build with that in.

Vortexx?
Vorrtexx
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Vorrtexx »

Hi Warmtoe,
The reason I never integrated it is because I kind of hacked up the maple.c file I think to get it going, to enable GUN MODE, I changed a couple of other KOS files too an hardcoded the calibration settings into the lightgun driver.

Maybe I can go back and try cleaning it up, and publish it for others. Hopefully I kept the changed KOS files because I have formatted my machine a number of times since. I'm sure I kept them on CD though.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Vorrtexx wrote:Hi Warmtoe,
The reason I never integrated it is because I kind of hacked up the maple.c file I think to get it going, to enable GUN MODE, I changed a couple of other KOS files too an hardcoded the calibration settings into the lightgun driver.

Maybe I can go back and try cleaning it up, and publish it for others. Hopefully I kept the changed KOS files because I have formatted my machine a number of times since. I'm sure I kept them on CD though.
If you'd like, after you clean it up, I could commit it to the main KOS tree. Let me know, ok?
Warmtoe
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Warmtoe »

OK - this is what I did too - only I think you hacked it better than me - didn't you get the screen flash to happen too?

Just the hacked files would be a starting point for others...
Vorrtexx
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Vorrtexx »

Warmtoe wrote:
OK - this is what I did too - only I think you hacked it better than me - didn't you get the screen flash to happen too?

Just the hacked files would be a starting point for others...
yeah, the maple queue was the only place at the time I could find to enable the gun mode bit flag before sending it out to the maple device. but the maple commands were only sent over manually. So I would flash the screen with the graphics engine I was using, and while it was rendered white (the preferred color), I sent the gun command to the maple device, then once the vblank occurred I read the values from the address they get stored. Then the address needs to be converted to screen coordinates because what it stores is something very different.

Bluecrab, that sounds like a good idea, as part of the other reason is I don't know anything about the KOS tree or committing changes to it.

I will try to find the code, remember what it does ;) , and make an attempt at tidying it up somewhat.
dgrams2000
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

:)

Post by dgrams2000 »

Okay.. you guys are talking a different language....
(as I've never been involved with much on the programming side of things)

But it seems that I may have 'rekindled' something here?
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

I'm interested in this as well since I'd like NesterDC SE to have the same lightgun functionality that you added in 7.1+b, Warmtoe.
ethoscapade
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ethoscapade »

hmm, i wonder if we could fit a DC lightgun inside of an NES zapper... :D
ssj4goku128
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ssj4goku128 »

Even if you did hack some kos files, one can reincorporate those files into the original kos files and have some # defined constants to check whether light gun support is enabled in that specific application.
"So I gotta be carefull, can't let tha evil of tha money trap me
so when ya see me #@#$%
ya better holla at me "

Tupac Shakur[1971-1996]
Makaveli[1996-????]