BT Broadband/BT Yahoo! Broadband users get free 2MB upgrade!

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

BT Broadband/BT Yahoo! Broadband users get free 2MB upgrade!

Post by az_bont »

Computer Buyer wrote:As widely expected BT is to provide free speed upgrades for its broadband customers. However, many observers and rivals have been surprised that the company has chosen to quadruple the broadband speeds. The great majority of its 512Kbit customers will soon be connected at 2Mbit

Starting from next Thursday (17th February), BT will begin to increase the speeds of most new and existing consumer customers to up to 2 Mb. Those on the capped BT Broadband Basic service costing ?17.99 will have their speed increased from 512kKbit up to 1 Mbit.

Around 5 per cent of customers who are too far away from the exchange will not be upgraded. Furthermore, according to BT, there will also be a small proportion of customers who will only be upgraded to between 512Kbit and 2Mbit for similar reasons.

BT says that the actual dates are dependent on when BT Wholesale upgrades the exchanges but says that 95 per cent of its customers should see their speed increase by July.
Source: Computer Buyer

What the article fails to mention, however, is that download caps will be altered as well - going down from 30GB per month to 15GB per month. There is no way to opt out of the upgrades.

All BT Broadband lines were meant to be capped in 2004, but we somehow managed to escape that - sadly, I don't think our luck will hold out much longer :(.

Anyone know of any decent ISPs with 1MB/2MB lines and no download caps? My Dad seems keen on AOL, but I'm determined that I'm far too geeky for that :P.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

Pipex dont have limits, there are packages you can get with limits like that if you want but theres several without em as well. As long as you're phone line can support a 1 or 2mb connection that is, mine sadly cant stupid ancient bt lines, still my regular speed ones fine
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

Comcast has given 2mbps free over the last year. out of the blue too.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

Cox did the same. The bigtime providers are getting really competative about speeds.
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc »

Thats nothing...In april, I'm gonna get regraded to the fastest speed my line supports, seeing as im very close to the local exchange, its likley that I'll get 8mb :)

Plusnet are charging for usage instead of speed...which probably wont work, I can see myself exceeding 75gb on-peak quite easily with all the leeching and seeding I do...
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

I could have sworn somebody posted in this topic about NTL doing the same, and adding caps along with the speed boost :?
area
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by area »

Dr Wily wrote:I could have sworn somebody posted in this topic about NTL doing the same, and adding caps along with the speed boost :?
I though I had, but didn't want to say anything in case I just hadn't clicked post.

http://cableforum.co.uk/article/139/ntl ... s-update-3 has all the information.
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

I could have sworn somebody posted in this topic about NTL doing the same, and adding caps along with the speed boost
Yeah I remeber replying to that celebrating but kinda concerned about my 30Gb download cap
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

mattthemodder wrote:
I could have sworn somebody posted in this topic about NTL doing the same, and adding caps along with the speed boost
Yeah I remeber replying to that celebrating but kinda concerned about my 30Gb download cap
And I remember both of these posts. Do we have a mad moderator?
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

mattthemodder wrote:
a gig a day doesn't sound too bad imo, I dunno what bandwidth I use playing online, but it can't cut into that too much I'd have thought as I'm rarely ever downloading anything bigger than a couple of hundred megs weekly :dontknow:
Joestar
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Joestar »

Dr Wily wrote:I could have sworn somebody posted in this topic about NTL doing the same, and adding caps along with the speed boost :?
i remember olive man posting in here.

olive man = zull
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by Nick »

How much bandwith does an online game use, say Halo 2 on Xbox Live. Can't be that much...can it?
Very sexy hero, omg
mikelomax
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster
Location: Off Topic, Since I know very little about the dreamcast

Post by mikelomax »

Any service that uses BT for broadband will have caps and be increased this cannot be avoided in the UK. Other ISP's will follow suit shortly after.

So even if you change you will have the caps wherever you go... so all the adverts about not having limits will have to go.
The reason for having: A firewall

Independance day, the aliens were destroyed because a computer was used to access their network and disable key systems. If they had had a firewall, the earth would be just another worthless rock floating in space.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

mikelomax wrote:Any service that uses BT for broadband will have caps and be increased this cannot be avoided in the UK. Other ISP's will follow suit shortly after.

So even if you change you will have the caps wherever you go... so all the adverts about not having limits will have to go.
Are you sure? :o
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

30Gb should do me
mikelomax
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster
Location: Off Topic, Since I know very little about the dreamcast

Post by mikelomax »

az_bont wrote:
mikelomax wrote:Any service that uses BT for broadband will have caps and be increased this cannot be avoided in the UK. Other ISP's will follow suit shortly after.

I'm on plusnet, they've informed me that this change will affect my connection as it goes through BT as a wholesale package. According to my sources this will be happening to everyone who uses BT as a throughput (which is everyone since BT owns the lines). The only differences between ISP's will the speed, cap amount, and cost.
The reason for having: A firewall

Independance day, the aliens were destroyed because a computer was used to access their network and disable key systems. If they had had a firewall, the earth would be just another worthless rock floating in space.
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc »

mikelomax wrote:
az_bont wrote:

I'm on plusnet, they've informed me that this change will affect my connection as it goes through BT as a wholesale package. According to my sources this will be happening to everyone who uses BT as a throughput (which is everyone since BT owns the lines). The only differences between ISP's will the speed, cap amount, and cost.

Code: Select all

If you're currently on Broadband Home Premier, you will be able to choose the speed you operate your connection at - from 512kb right up to 8Mb where available.

The Premier product range offers a clean 50:1 contended DSL connection with no network restrictions or traffic shaping applied, so you can run whatever applications you need - at any time of the day - with no worries about speed or performance.

In conjunction with this, PlusNet is implementing a 'fair usage' policy in which we will deliver a commitment to our customers, ensuring platform performance is not disproportionately affected by a small minority of extremely heavy users.

The table below shows how prices will relate to usage, rather than speed.

Broadband Premier	Fair Usage 		Total 'Fair Usage' Achievable 
Product			On Peak Levels		Inc Off Peak (based on 2Mb)

?21.99			30GB			230GB
?29.99			50GB			250GB
?39.99			75GB			275GB
?49.99			100GB			300GB
?59.99			125GB			325GB

Off-peak usage between 1am through 8am is excluded from 'fair usage' levels, so if you schedule downloads 'off-peak' you can achieve a far higher usage with no restrictions.

Further, only download data is monitored so uploads are not currently restricted in any way.
Thats how Plusnets going now...you pay for the b/w you use rather than the speed...and you get the fastest speed your line supports. And of course the off peak times being excluded sounds great.

Also, uploads dont count so I'll still be able to seed on torrents and boost my ratio on trackers :)
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

What happens if you go over? Does it charge you more, or drop your speed?
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Gmc wrote:

Code: Select all

Broadband Premier	Fair Usage 		Total 'Fair Usage' Achievable 
Product			On Peak Levels		Inc Off Peak (based on 2Mb)

?21.99			30GB			230GB
?29.99			50GB			250GB
?39.99			75GB			275GB
?49.99			100GB			300GB
?59.99			125GB			325GB

Off-peak usage between 1am through 8am is excluded from 'fair usage' levels, so if you schedule downloads 'off-peak' you can achieve a far higher usage with no restrictions.

Further, only download data is monitored so uploads are not currently restricted in any way.
That is really nice, shame I'm locked into NTL really.

Off Peak dls is basically free?

Uploads aren't even included?

As fast as you can handle straight off the bat, with the only pricing being bandwidth usage?

That is really nice :x
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

Man, that ?22 dealy looks perfect.
Judging by my last two months, I use no more than about 18GB per month on NTL's 1mb connection. I pay ?25 for it, too.