Bypass fan?

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
gdskater
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Bypass fan?

Post by gdskater »

I would like to know if you can use the DC without a fan and not let it overheat or shutdown.
Robots will kill you.

http://www.LSDiodes.com
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

The controller board senses the fans RPM speed, if is below a certain level the DC will not run.

You need to make a 555 Circuit to give the pulses to make it think there is a fan there, you can buy the chips and components separately or, the easyier option which is buying a little 555 timer kit.

It will overheat if there is no fan at all
Pyrosurfer
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Pyrosurfer »

I'm pretty sure the RPM thing is crap. I measured resistance from gnd to the extra pin to gnd and it was a constant .88k. The rpm method is probably just acting as a load for the dc's current. People here have said before they just shorted the extra pin to gnd, and it worked. Both of the RPM method and shorting could be harmful to your dc, I would recommend putting a 200-2k resistor from the extra pin to gnd. I will be trying this myself soon.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

Dont forget the fan!
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Re: Bypass fan?

Post by Alexvrb »

gdskater wrote:I would like to know if you can use the DC without a fan and not let it overheat or shutdown.
Not recommended, unless you plan on running it in a larger case with lots of ventilation, and bigger passive sinks. Heck, even then I don't really recommend it. However, you could use the method(s) mentioned above to help you replace the fan with something very similar. If you wanted to, you could even use a larger, slower fan, if you wanted to do a lot of work.
DuffMan
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DuffMan »

Why would you want to take the fan out in the first place? Its not noisy and isn't in the way of anything.
OOH! YA! Duffman Says a lot of things.
dcmodder
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by dcmodder »

yea but when one of the blades on it breaks off it is kinda noisy. that was my problem.
wont u be my friend?
kram2048
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

my reason: to replace it with a better cooling system

Post by kram2048 »

I would replace the fan with a better cooling system (thus multiple fans, just like in my PC)

1.) a fan for the PSU, exitting the case

2.) a fan and heatsink for the CPU

3.) a fan for the VPU

4.) a fan for the SPU

5.) even a fan for the clock chip and an external intake fan and 2 side mounted output fans near the opposite side of the machine

also I would add a PC PSU power cable, since 12V = red, 0V = black, 5V = yellow, 3.3V = orange, and -12V = white
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Post by Caboose »

Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

Your not going to be able to fit all that in unless you find some really nice low profile sinks. Good luck
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Re: my reason: to replace it with a better cooling system

Post by Alexvrb »

kram2048 wrote:I would replace the fan with a better cooling system (thus multiple fans, just like in my PC)

1.) a fan for the PSU, exitting the case

2.) a fan and heatsink for the CPU

3.) a fan for the VPU

4.) a fan for the SPU

5.) even a fan for the clock chip and an external intake fan and 2 side mounted output fans near the opposite side of the machine

also I would add a PC PSU power cable, since 12V = red, 0V = black, 5V = yellow, 3.3V = orange, and -12V = white
Even with size and power (fan draw) considerations aside:
1) Not really necessary, and if you make that an exhaust fan instead of an intake, then you fight the airflow set up by the original fan.
2) It already has a heatsink/heatspreader, and the case fan acts as a fan for it and everything else. It was actually pretty well engineered to only need such a small fan.
3) Not unless you're overclocking it.
4) Never necessary, nor desired, ever. It barely gets warm to the touch.
5) "Clock chip"? See 4. All the other stuff? Massive overkill. Massive.

Look, I'm all for extra cooling. But the Dreamcast is not a PC. It doesn't run that hot, and its in a very small case. After a certain point, in PCs or DCs, extra fans stop helping. You might as well replace the PSU and watercool it. If you want a more reasonable significant increase in cooling, replace the stock fan with a larger, but quieter fan. Something that can push more air, and bring down the case temp. If you really wanted to, you could add an intake on the opposite side to supplement it. But with Dreamcast, all you need to do get the case temp down and the metal will do the rest - the DC just does not put out a ton of heat.