Oh no...

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
Muthafukin Carl
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Oh no...

Post by Muthafukin Carl »

....Yep, its me again with more stupid questions...

1. Whats the difference between a VGA cord and a VGA box?
2. Are all of my games compatible with the VGA cord and/or VGA box?

Because I went to Jandaman.com and saw the VGA cord for $9 and the VGA box for about $11. Im getting both, but I want to know if they're worth it. :)
Currently playing:

Sega Marine fishing
Seaman
Super Mario All-Stars
dj898
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by dj898 »

1) think of VGA cord as smaller version of VGA box with only the VGA socket missing out S-video and RCA audio sockets
2) no but some can be forced into VGA mod using VGA trick. however it's trickier with VGA cord
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Re: Oh no...

Post by Matisfaction »

Muthafukin Carl wrote:I went to Jandaman.com and saw the VGA cord for $9 and the VGA box for about $11. Im getting both, but I want to know if they're worth it. :)
Why? You can connect your DC up to virtually anything with the box, Just get that.
DCPepperoni
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by DCPepperoni »

get a VGA box... not a VGA cord

- the VGA boxes and VGA cords are the same

- except.... VGA boxes can also plug into tvs... as the have a red, white and yellow outputs.... and also the VGA boxes have a computer monitor and speaker output (for both sound and video) while the VGA cord only has a monitor output ( only video, except if your monitor supports sound through the monitor output... or something like that) if that makes sense..

just get a VGA box... not a VGA cord.. its worth the extra $2
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by Nick »

As others stated, the VGA Box has RCA/S-Video Jacks, so you don't have to disconnect the VGA cord for a non VGA compatible game--switch to S-Video or RCA on the little box, and you're ready to rock.

And no, not all games are compatible with VGA. :(

And the advantage of having a cord is that they are easy to mod with--that is, fitting them inside a DC case for built in VGA. :)
Very sexy hero, omg
Digital Chaos
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Digital Chaos »

DCPepperoni wrote:... while the VGA cord only has a monitor output ( only video, except if your monitor supports sound through the monitor output... or something like that) if that makes sense...
Nice try but wrong

The VGA cable has audio out via a standard phono jack. This means you can plug any speakers that would fit in to a standard headphone jack into it.

And there is no way at all to get sound through a standard VGA cable unless you mod it, but then you would not have video.
DeAthWaGer
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by DeAthWaGer »

Um... what cables are you looking at, Digital Chaos?

Every DC VGA cable I've seen has a 1/8 inch jack on it. How the hell else would you get sound?!?!? If such a cable existed I highly doubt anyone sold it for very long, or if it's still available it should be like $1.

BTW, most of everyone's terminology is wrong. I'm not blaming you folks in particular, but most people are mislead on these terms. These vary from country to country but here is the US standard:

A phono jack is not the same as a "headphone" jack, they have different impedences. Phono is short for phonograph, or record player.

And you can't technically call it a "headphone" jack unless there is a variable resistance/potentiometer going to it to allowing you to adjust the volume level.

It is a LINE OUT, which means a constant volume level.

Most VGA boxes (I use the Pelican one) also have a 1/8 jack line out as well as a RCA red/white line out. This way you can use 3 different cables to connect it to whatever setup you have and what cables you have handy.

I use the line in on my PC, so I use a 1/8 to 1/8 cord. This makes the most sense because instead of buying separate amplified speakers for my DC, I am using the same 4.1 speaker setup of my PC (which is connected to the same monitor as my DC with a select box).

If you were going to a reciever, you could use a 1/8 to RCA, or a RCA to RCA set of cords to a line in on the reciever.

Anyhow, like everyone says, you get a box then you can have S-video and composite video running to your TV as well... or the s-video input of your PC's video card like me...

Sorry, I'm just a sick bastard when it comes to electronic setups... :D

y'all play nice now, y'hear?
Wheeling Bitch Circus - Keepin' it METAL since 1998:

http://www.myspace.com/wheelingbitchcircus