The Future of Dreamcast Production

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
goatdan
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

The Future of Dreamcast Production

Post by goatdan »

Ladies and gentlemen,

I apologize for doing something that looked very weird earlier today when I asked that the Holy Cow! thread be locked after I had snipped out all of my statements in it. There is a reason to that, and although I can't go into too much detail, here's the facts:

- WE ARE BACK IN PRODUCTION! Yes, that's right! The games are FINALLY being pressed! I don't yet have a timeline, but I will keep everyone updated as best as I can.

- I snipped the stuff out of the Holy Cow! thread because what I was guessing would happen did not happen... at least not in the way that I was guessing it would. Basically, you'll have to trust me when I say that there is a LOT of stuff that I don't have the authority to talk about, but has gone right. We officially did not end up with the permission that I sought.

- I ask that people on here do not discuss what I said in the Holy Cow! thread at length any more. Again, I can't exactly explain why, but you'll have to trust me.

- The future of production DC games looks very secure. And the system will be much more streamlined.

I know that this may all sound a little odd, and that I've probably just made everyone more curious than if I had kept my big mouth shut, but I cannot comment on anything regarding the "how" any further than I did above.

Secondly, I need to be really honest for a little bit here about the "flip side" to the future of Dreamcast productions from us:

This latest production has cost us infinitely more in the way of time than we expected it too. As it looks like, we *may* be able to get the games out exactly 7 months after they were finalized. During that time, as many of you know we weren't just sitting still. I have spent countless hours on the phone and through email with people, trying to accomplish things.

On top of the time commitment, there has been a much larger than anticipated money commitment that we have had to make. Pressing one game it tough enough, and pressing two games that don't work and not having anything to show for it makes it four times as tough. Not including the second pressing of the disks, we have spent thousands on these games already... thousands that we are in danger of not making back.

Between the months that it has taken to get these into production and the money we lost doing it the first time, we are WELL into the red for the year. I'm not complaining, and I don't want pity because the truth is that Gary and I knew and know all of the risks of publishing -- we spent a long time trying to figure out how we could make just enough to keep doing this. Unfortunately, our calculations didn't involve spending months between pressings and thousands of extra dollars.

So what can you do?

We've been putting the final touches on an affiliate program with the GOAT Store for the last couple weeks. The reason that some people are still waiting for GOAT Games reviews from us is that we've been trying to get this done. We are almost ready to launch it.

We would really appreciate it if people that are just fans of the games become affiliates and put up links to our Web site on their Web site, in their message board signatures or where ever. Not just does it help us to spread the word about the new DC games, but you get 5% of each sale. You can redeem it either as in-store credit with us or get paid cash (US only), but that way you get something and we get a little help. I will make another post here once that's gone up.

Secondly, if you have ordered the games, once you get them come on these boards and post about how you liked them and tell your friends and family about them. Make a review or FAQ and post it on GameFAQs, MobyGames or a million other great Web sites. Post a review on a Web site. Tell people that these games exist.

I am more excited than I have been in (seven) months about these two games, and I cannot wait to get them to everyone. Both of these titles are outstanding, and I can't wait for everyone to finally get to play them. Trust me -- it was worth the wait!

Again, I thank everyone here from the bottom of my heart. This is the absolute best community, and I am honored to be part of it and do my little part to help projects like this come to completion. And I know that others are watching that most of us aren't even aware of that really appreciate it too.

Lastly, I will give everyone a few tasty morsels that you can talk about:

As soon as I can get everything lined up, you should start hearing news about the next two games that we are getting ready to put into production. The first one is GOAT Games Vol. 1, as many people could probably guess. The second game should be a big surprise to many of you :)
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

/me wonders what that game could be but will become a DC releases by the GOAT-Store collector anyway :D
Insane homebrew collector.
Ender
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Ender »

I think I may know what it is, just because I dropped the ball on it ;) ah well. Sounds good Dan, but were you planning on being less cryptic to anyone, or just treating everyone like this? ;)
goatdan
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by goatdan »

Ender wrote:I think I may know what it is, just because I dropped the ball on it ;) ah well. Sounds good Dan, but were you planning on being less cryptic to anyone, or just treating everyone like this? ;)
No, you didn't drop the ball :)

And I will only be able to be less cryptic when I have to be. Again, I apologize to everyone in advance, but I really have to stand firm in that.
goatdan
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by goatdan »

Oh, and I can't believe that I forgot this while I was posting before...

I would highly suggest purchasing one of the following high quality releases for your modern systems (or another from the same company ;) ):

ESPN NBA 2K5
ESPN NFL 2K5
Otogi 2
Headhunter: Redemption
Sonic Mega Collection PLUS
Super Monkey Ball 1, 2 or DX (when released)
Sonic Heroes
Feel the Magic XX/XY

Great stuff :)
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Re: The Future of Dreamcast Production

Post by Quzar »

goatdan wrote:Lastly, I will give everyone a few tasty morsels that you can talk about:

As soon as I can get everything lined up, you should start hearing news about the next two games that we are getting ready to put into production. The first one is GOAT Games Vol. 1, as many people could probably guess. The second game should be a big surprise to many of you :)
Any idea when the GOAT Games Vol. 1 will be finalized? (approximately?) I've been neglecting my unfinished submission for quite some time, but will drop all my work with emulators if i hear i need to finish it up :wink:
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
goatdan
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Re: The Future of Dreamcast Production

Post by goatdan »

quzar wrote:
goatdan wrote:Lastly, I will give everyone a few tasty morsels that you can talk about:

Any idea when the GOAT Games Vol. 1 will be finalized? (approximately?) I've been neglecting my unfinished submission for quite some time, but will drop all my work with emulators if i hear i need to finish it up :wink:
Now that I actually know what in the world is going on again for the first time in months, I can say that I emails to be out either tomorrow or Sunday, and the announcements about the games included on it to be made shortly after that. I am *hoping* that we can have it ready for production by the end of January.

And I do again apologize for being so slow on it, but I didn't want to email out to everyone "Congrats on being included! I have no clue what we can do yet!" so I've been putting it off. Now I know :)

And another note -- there will be some sort of special thing done for everyone that gets the games early. I need to talk to Gary to finalize the plans, but I'm pretty sure it will involve a contest and a pretty nifty prize.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

for everyone that gets the games early
huh? am I reading that wrong, cause it doesnt make too much sense to me =P ?

oh, slightly off topic, how many entries were there? (if you are ok with releasing that info that is)
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
goatdan
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by goatdan »

quzar wrote:
for everyone that gets the games early
huh? am I reading that wrong, cause it doesnt make too much sense to me =P ?
Um... yes... err... no...

Damn, it's way past my bedtime and I should stop posting...

I meant "for everyone that gets the games shortly after they are released." Sorry.
oh, slightly off topic, how many entries were there? (if you are ok with releasing that info that is)
I honestly don't remember offhand. Somewhere between 10 and 15 though, not including specials and demos will be on there :)
aisupikku
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by aisupikku »

This is great news, goatdan! :biggrin:

I can hardly believe that the games are being pressed... Perhaps there is a chance that they may even ship as 2004 titles?

For now, have some rest. I am assured that it is long-overdue. :wink:
« ˆˆ -ˆ-ˆ ˆ » [ Let's help! Trizeal DC ]
WRAGGSTER
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster

Post by WRAGGSTER »

great news dan :)
Webmaster of DCEmu

The Homebrew and Gaming Network Covering All Consoles.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

WRAGGSTER wrote:great news dan :)
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

Dan - as far as the affiliate program goes, do you have any specific graphics or anything worked out for that yet? I would be more than happy to put an ad of some sort to support you on DCHelp, and I'm sure we wouldn't have a problem doing the same at DC Evo, but I was just wondering if you had your own graphics, or if we should work up some new ones.

Maybe it's time for a small artwork contest?
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
Storminator16
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Storminator16 »

Matisfaction wrote:
WRAGGSTER wrote:great news dan :)
Hobbes T Tiger
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Hobbes T Tiger »

I'm stoked about all this!!

I just bought a GC so I'm already enjoying some of the new-ish releases you recommended, but believe me when I say that my Dreamcast is going nowhere and it will continue to be one of my main consoles.

I will be buying both the new games when they come out as well as the Goat collection.

And if the new games you plan are as exciting as you make them sound I will buy them as well.

I also have a website coming along (non DC) and if it doesn't need to be DC specific I will advertise for you gladly. I'd do it for nothing if you asked!!

Well done Dan. I hope things keep going well, it makes us happy too :D
Sega of Japan wrote:Offline - No confusion! No Boring! No Silence!
Online - No Loneliness! No Typing!
goatdan
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by goatdan »

The main hang up that we've currently got with the affiliate program is the fact that we haven't made much in the way of graphics, so if anyone wants to make anything, that would be awesome. You can use any graphics on our pages you'd like too, and any sizes you'd like.

I don't know what I could use as prizes for it, but that's a great idea. I'll come up with something a little later.

The other minor hang up is our sign up page isn't yet complete. It's there, but it doesn't actually do anything yet...

For anyone that wants to help beta testing of the affiliate system (I've had a few emails already, thanks!), you should sign up as a member through our Web site and then email Gary at heil@goatstore.com from that account or tell him what it is. He will email you back with all the information you need after that point, and you can start using it immediately, as everything is ready for that :)

For those of you wondering if the games will ship as 2004 titles - I have no confirmation right now, but I do expect it.
Imerion
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Imerion »

Woohoo! I am so happy! The games are coming out and more are comming after them! And I am certain I am not dreaming!
This affiliate program sounds really interesting! Ill do everything I can to help you out so Ill join ASAP!
For those of you wondering if the games will ship as 2004 titles - I have no confirmation right now, but I do expect it.
That would be a really nice X-mas present... If not, they will probably be the first DC games released in 2005, which is cool as well!
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

Just as long as you keep us updated, and let us know if/when we can spread the word on the future of DC production, I'm happy.
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.
wes1406
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by wes1406 »

ok...I'm fairly new to the scene here, but have been a happy DC owner for several years. But i'm just a little curious about what you are talking about. :?
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

wes1406 wrote:ok...I'm fairly new to the scene here, but have been a happy DC owner for several years. But i'm just a little curious about what you are talking about. :?
Last year there was a competition hosted by the goat store in which the top game would get published. The top two were so good that they both won: Inhabitants and Maquipaui(?). They were ready to release them, and when they pressed them, the discs turned out bad. In the meantime, there was another contest, for which the winners have yet to be announced for arcade style games as a game compilation disc.

as far as i know, there are gonna be two releases soon, then in the few months after those there will be another two discs.