Poll for those who are over 18 and live with there parents.

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.

Do or did you parents make you pay rent?

I am between 18 and 21 and do have to pay rent.
5%
I am 21 or over and do have to pay rent.
15%
I am between 18 and 21 and DO NOT have to pay rent
27%
I am over 21 and DO NOT have to pay rent.
22%
I live on my own so this does not apply to me.
13%
I am under 18 and DO NOT pay rent.
15%
I am under 18 and do have to pay rent.
4%

Total votes: 55
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Poll for those who are over 18 and live with there parents.

Post by Veggita2099 »

I am conducting a poll to see how many people between the ages of 18 to 21, and 21 and up live with there parents and are required to pay some sort of rent.

Last year my parents started to force me to pay them $100 a month rent and I think it is absolute BS. It first started when I turned 18, however I was able to talk them out of it until I hit 21. Finnally not long after I was 21 I was forced to pay it. My opinion of them is a lot lower cause of this and they basically don't care as long as they can rob that $100 a month away from me. In fact I told my mom how I despise it and just just chuckled and said something along the lines of "Oh well."I have talked to several friends about it, and they thought I was jokeing.

I know a lot of people live in a job filled area and probably are either in a college dorm or have there own place, if so I guess this don't really apply to you. As for myself I do work for the railroad which CAN pay well. But during winter months you don't make much of anything. Even if I didn't they started this way before I ever even looked into the railroad as a job, back when I was lucky to bring home $400 bi weekly after taxes and such.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
coke
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by coke »

I'm 17 and my mom brings it up time to time, "You need to pay rent or get the fuck out" I don't pay any rent and will talk my way out of it. Tho since I don't pay rent I help my mom out a lot because she can't depend on herself sometimes, "Wheres my fucking keys" "Turn the car around for me." Those come up a lot and I have no problem helping her out because I don't pay rent and refuse to till Jan 05.(When I move out)
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

I'm 20 I have to pay 10% of my pay for rent which is usually bout $30 a fortnight, which isn't too bad really. I've tried to get out of it by using the old I'm a poor uni student but they don't buy it. I'll live with it as I can't afford to move out while I'm at uni and only have a night job.

They only started it after I got a promotion at work earliers this year. The funny thing is I make about the same or less, I can't be bothered working it out. Cos I lost almost $5 an hour with the promotion, but got stable hours (8 a week when I used to get anywhere between 0 and 15 a week) and I had to quit my second job at the AFL which was giving me $100 on Sunday matchs and $50 on Friday night or Saturday matchs.
mikelomax
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster
Location: Off Topic, Since I know very little about the dreamcast

Post by mikelomax »

I'm 22 and I don't have to pay rent yet... I might do when i get a full time job and I don't have to pay of my student loans anymore, but I may have moved out by then...
The reason for having: A firewall

Independance day, the aliens were destroyed because a computer was used to access their network and disable key systems. If they had had a firewall, the earth would be just another worthless rock floating in space.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

I don't know your situation, or if you pay your own share of your bills or not, but I'm pretty sure you cost the household more than $25 a week in terms of bills (food, electricity, heating, tax etc).

I don't exactly live in splendour, but my monthly bills come to over $1000 just on bills and rent.
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox »

I'm 19 and I don't pay rent, and I'll never charge my kids rent either. It's complete BS to make the ones you love pay to live with you.
-Azathoth-
Jounin Shinobi
Jounin Shinobi

Post by -Azathoth- »

Heh. everyone goes through this type of thing.
"Deviantart is the home of messed up emo kids"
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc »

I've been paying rent to my parents since I was 17...basically when I left education, which is fair enough really.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

My parents don't make me pay rent as such. I'm 20, and mostly studying at University. However, if at any point I have a job and make money, I have to pay them a third of it towards housekeeping, food, bills and so forth. Considering that I'm then not required to actually buy any of that stuff for myself, I think that's a pretty fair deal.
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by arrowhead »

Damn, it sucks to be all of you guys, you must have been real a-holes to make your parents hate you like that. I am 23 and I dont pay rent. The deal was I dont have to pay for anything as long as I was getting a degree from a institute of higher learning. I dont pay for my medical, car insurance, food, or rent. Im actually starting to feel bad about it, but a deal is a deal. Its not like Im taking 4 units a quarter to live here rent free, I have always had 12+ units. Sorry to hear about all of your hateful a-hole parents. Mine rule.
Shut that cunts mouth before I come over there and fuck start her head
coke
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by coke »

No, Our parents are doing whats right to keep food coming in the house and making sure your fucking internet is active. Would you like it if you had a roomate and you were paying all the bills, bringing food into the house, and giving you all your needs? hmmm. Money doesn't grow on trees, I'm sure you've heard it once or twice. If your parents have money coming out their ass everyday (rich) become a lazy fuck and make them buy everything for you, and don't move out to your 40, I would.
Clessy
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Clessy »

I'm 18 and would never pay rent. I didnt fucking pay it for 18 years of my life I dont plan to now. However I pull my weight around here more then my mom so anytime anything of rent is mentioned I say that and my stepdad tells her she as to no place to talk ^_~
SE! SE! SE! Believe the hype!
Sanchez
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Sanchez »

*chuckles and waits for the kids to grow up*

I'm 27, lived in an apartment / house since I was 20, and if you're whining about 1/8th-1/4th of your income going towards a room, much less food, water, bills, etc... Welcome to the real world.
"This is worse than when the Raccoon got in the copier!"
Master Higgins
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Master Higgins »

I'm 19 and I don't pay rent, and I'll never charge my kids rent either. It's complete BS to make the ones you love pay to live with you.
I think anglo saxon and latin families there is a big schism on that, I've noticed that lots of hispanics and itlaians live in homes with their extended families, my grandma lives with my mom and two of my aunts live together. When I was growing up there was always somebody staying with us, some cousin, where as anglosaxon people it's like "I want my privacy get the hell out." Send their parent's to nursing homes and their kids out on their own. I might be wrong in that observation.
ccb_v2
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by ccb_v2 »

Eh, if you are living at home going to school, then I could see not paying rent, but if you are just there mooching, or have a job, either get a job and move out, or move out. but thats just my feelings towards this subject.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

Sanchez wrote:*chuckles and waits for the kids to grow up*

I'm 27, lived in an apartment / house since I was 20, and if you're whining about 1/8th-1/4th of your income going towards a room, much less food, water, bills, etc... Welcome to the real world.
I agree. I pay somewhere between 90-100% of my income on bills and food, forcing me to go into debt to have any kind of luxery.
btm4k
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by btm4k »

I'm going to have to pay rent eventually, but as to when, I don't know. No way am I going to ask, "So dad, when do you want me to start paying rent?"
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes »

$100 a month is a really good deal IMO. If you get food, power, water, and an internet connection, $100 a month is an EXCELLENT deal. Where I live, the "un-infested" apartments start around $300 a month...and, of course, that doesn't include utilities (in most cases). Hell, "Decent" apartments are in the $400 to $500 range. Considering the alternative, $100 is a steal. There's no tellin' how much money parents spend on their children in a lifetime. It seems a little unfair, to me, to bitch about having to pay rent when they're really doing you a favor.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

I live on my own so this does not apply to me.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

ace wrote:I live on my own so this does not apply to me.
Approx. what percent of your income does it take for you to survive?