Idea, sorta like a harddrive!

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
Chile
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Idea, sorta like a harddrive!

Post by Chile »

I have an idea. Do you think it would be possible to make a hardrive sorta if you just put a ton of vmu's in a box, connected by a cord to the memory card station in the controller, like say 8 in one, so 1,600 Blocks? Possible maybe?
Nintenter
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Nintenter »

Wouldn't the dreamcast just read it as 8 separate memory cards?
Chile
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Chile »

yeah i guess, but there would still be seven more slots, but i was hoping for it reading it as one, like 1,6000 blocks for slot 1, controller A, like that
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Chile wrote:yeah i guess, but there would still be seven more slots, but i was hoping for it reading it as one, like 1,6000 blocks for slot 1, controller A, like that
If I remember correctly, the DC can't recognize more than about 200-something blocks at once. It's got a set size definition, like the PSone. That's why you have to have separate "banks" for anything over that.

Besides, rigging something up would be clunky, time-consuming, and not really worth the effort. Just get one of those 16M memory cards from LikSang.
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

I'm selling 1600 block card kits, they come with an X-Fer cable for your PC and software, for 10 bucks plus shipping. (They have 8 memory banks, not exactly what you're looking for, but still some damn big mem cards.)
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

nope, the dc cant read beyond 200 blocks, i have an official 800 block card from sega, but you just have 4 banks of 200 and you have to switch between them
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
Chile
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Chile »

DrFreeze wrote:nope, the dc cant read beyond 200 blocks, i have an official 800 block card from sega, but you just have 4 banks of 200 and you have to switch between them
oh that sucks man. never mind
riva16
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by riva16 »

Thats a good idea... There would be a switch to change from VMU to VMU... The bigger the VMU, the more you can hold in each slot. I have pics of somepne who made the same thing. On my site.
Why doesn't HTML work anymore on this damn forum!? God!
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

What? Riva... there's a limit to the amount of blocks that the DC can utilize in each slot. So you don't get more in each slot, you get more slots. Memory cards are good for lots of big commercial and/or homebrew saved games and stuff. Not good as an alternative to a HD.
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.