Mod Chip Problems

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
TheWanderer
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Mod Chip Problems

Post by TheWanderer »

Well, I finally got my 30 Watt Soldering Iron in the mail today, so I decided to go to work on my DC mod chips. I connected the wires as shown in the crap diagram Lik-Sang gave me, (although there was an overabundance of solder....), and put the thing back together. I try to turn it on...and the power light flashes for about a second and turns off. Then nothing. This happenned with both of the Dreamcasts I attempted to install chips in. The second time, I used significantly less solder, and really made sure the wires were lined up well, but still no go.

Any suggestions/what I did wrong? Should I be using a 15 Watt Iron? I heard this chip is really easy to install, so I'm wondering why both of them didn't work. :?

I can always order more mod-chips and try again, but I'm really itching to play PAL Headhunter and Shenmue at the moment... :)
Dreamcast: It's thinking. And it thinks you suck.
la corporacion
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by la corporacion »

could you have burned the board or something important? I used a 15w soldering iron for mine, but mine has a 5mm tip which isn't great. Also make sure no solder is on more than one point, because that's easily possible because they are quite close the pins on the board. Maybe you didn't connect the fan 3 pin plug properly, maybe that's why it starts them stops (but I doubt this mistake would happen twice). I'm no pro at soldering, just maybe some possibilities to consider! :D
The secret of realizing the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment of existence is: to live dangerously!
dcmodder
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by dcmodder »

i agree with la check all of the connections of the dc components (ribbon cable going to the controller board, the fan connection, and modem just in case)
wont u be my friend?
TheWanderer
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by TheWanderer »

The funny thing is, I thought it might be the fan, so I checked that on both...and still, nothing. I don't think I burned anything on the board, either, so I can't quite figure it out.

I'll be sure to check all the connections etc. and see if there's a point where I really messed up. Thanks for the help (any any more would be appreciated)!
Clarkbar
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Clarkbar »

take a close up digital picture..that will help.
TheWanderer
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by TheWanderer »

Damnit...I just realized the problem. I was using solder not meant for electronics. :oops:

Flippin' typical of me. :mg: :mg:
dcmodder
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by dcmodder »

:lol: oops it happens to be best of us.... not me of course... but it happens :lol:
wont u be my friend?
la corporacion
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by la corporacion »

ha ha, problem solved! :D I'm guessing it's sortable?
The secret of realizing the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment of existence is: to live dangerously!