*sigh* 3 more years

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

*sigh* 3 more years

Post by Skynet »

Not that too many members care, but the Australian PM has just won his 4th term as prime minister :evil:

http://g1.ninemsn.com.au/au01/1?http:// ... x?id=15392

I for one am pissed off. I didn't vote for him last time, I didn't vote for him this time.

Why can't we adopt the rule of not having our PM serve more than 2 terms? As that's what I understand you yanks have.

I just hope this isn't a sign of things to come with the US election. It'll mean Australia will be kissing the US's ass for another 3 years.
mattcky666
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by mattcky666 »

We got the same problem in the UK - Blair could serve another term - but im not really bothered cos the opposition is worse.

Flea (from RHCP) said it best at the Hyde Park gig in the summer - "Blair and Bush are lovers, I read it in the newspaper in the back"
Not surprising that what the US does, so does the UK.
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Re: *sigh* 3 more years

Post by toastman »

Skynet wrote:Not that too many members care, but the Australian PM has just won his 4th term as prime minister :evil:

http://g1.ninemsn.com.au/au01/1?http:// ... x?id=15392

I for one am pissed off. I didn't vote for him last time, I didn't vote for him this time.

Why can't we adopt the rule of not having our PM serve more than 2 terms? As that's what I understand you yanks have.

I just hope this isn't a sign of things to come with the US election. It'll mean Australia will be kissing the US's ass for another 3 years.
The 2 term limit only came about within the past 60 years or so, after FDR's presidency.
No signature.
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

It was an unwritten rule before hand though.
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype »

How was it an un written rule?Presidents did go past 2terms.
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

zerotype wrote:How was it an un written rule?Presidents did go past 2terms.
Not often though.
And the current limit is 10 years, not 2 terms. Look it up, it's weird.
No signature.
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype »

I know it was not often,but still not enough to call it an un written rule.Also yea I think I know of the 10year thign,our teacher showed us in class a while ago.
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

toastman wrote:
zerotype wrote:How was it an un written rule?Presidents did go past 2terms.
Not often though.
And the current limit is 10 years, not 2 terms. Look it up, it's weird.
The 22nd Ammendment wrote:1. No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once. But this Article shall not apply to any person holding the office of President, when this Article was proposed by the Congress, and shall not prevent any person who may be holding the office of President, or acting as President, during the term within which this Article becomes operative from holding the office of President or acting as President during the remainder of such term.

2. This article shall be inoperative unless it shall have been ratified as an amendment to the Constitution by the legislatures of three-fourths of the several States within seven years from the date of its submission to the States by the Congress.
It's not weird. The 10-year thing actually means that if a Vice President has to take over and there's less than half a term left in the term, he can still get to more terms. If there's more than two years left, he can serve one more term.
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

Actually there is only one President that did it Zerotype and that is Franklin Delano Roosevelt. you can look at thi info here man Clich here for chart the only reason he had more than 2 was because of WW2. So I don't think it happened enough to break that unwritten rule.
Master Higgins
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Master Higgins »

Orange_Ribbon wrote:Actually there is only one President that did it Zerotype and that is Franklin Delano Roosevelt. you can look at thi info here man Clich here for chart the only reason he had more than 2 was because of WW2. So I don't think it happened enough to break that unwritten rule.
That wasn't the reason he had more than 2 terms, it was because people voted him him the third time, he was won of hte most popular presidents ever, people gave him the recognition of ending the depression and then he spoke very directly to the people over the radio almost everynight.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Orange_Ribbon wrote:Actually there is only one President that did it Zerotype and that is Franklin Delano Roosevelt. you can look at thi info here man Clich here for chart the only reason he had more than 2 was because of WW2. So I don't think it happened enough to break that unwritten rule.
People only went for two terms in honor/respect of Washington. After FDR, they added the amendment (1951) and made it the law.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Cn'Fused
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Re: *sigh* 3 more years

Post by Cn'Fused »

Skynet wrote:Not that too many members care, but the Australian PM has just won his 4th term as prime minister :evil:
Damn.

What really annoys me about these elections is that people completely ignore every important issue bar the ones the Herald Sun (for Americans, a crappy-but-popular tabloid paper) choose to address. I mean, everyone forgot about the whole environment thing and the fair distribution of government funds to schools because they thought interest rates would go up by an impossible amount and that Latham's tax policy was a bit screwed up.

Either that or people just voted along with their friends and family. I asked one friend last night who he voted for and his response was "I don't know. I just put Liberal down on the big sheet (the Senate vote - you'd think any idiot would know that) and the fourth one on the little green sheet (the House of Reps. - the PM's office). I just copied my mum's voting slip". I think that's pathetic - if you're going to vote for your parents party, at least know what their policies are. It wasn't just my friend either - in The Age (the more objective newspaper, but less popular because it has less bright colours and tabloid crap) there were a few snapshots of people, and the young vox pops basically said "Oh, I don't follow politics. I just follow my parents lead because they say it's good".

You know, sometimes I think it'd be good not to have compulsory voting. Keep the preferences thing and all, but if people are so ignorant and stupid that they don't even know who they are voting for in what political theatre they should just stay home and do whatever they do instead. My friend is a bloody idiot, because he's a dodgy dole bludger, and the Coalition will be cutting him off from welfare because of their feelings towards it. So he's just screwed himself, and he doesn't even realise...moron :roll:
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Absolute bloody idiots. This is why I don't think compulsory voting is a good idea.

Really, the preferences thing is just a side effect of conpulsory voting. Since everyone must vote, it seems that every vote must count toward the last two parties in the running. That is also stupid, because it allows travesties like the Liberal / National coalition, where two parties that couldn't possibly win on their own, and have conflicting policies in a number of places, can gang up one everyone else and win by sheer force of numbers, not because of actually being any good.

It also seems that many Australians are paranoid about change - good or bad - and would rather stick with something really bad than risk an alternative. Idiots...

I noticed that the Liberals were playing on that fear of change with their advertising. "Why risk change? Interest rates could rise! The sky is falling! These numbers from thrity years ago conclusively prove our point!"

It seems that people bought it, despite the fact that interest rates really have nothing at all to do with the current government, are dictated by the reserve bank anyway, and are influenced by factors which are completely beyond the control of the government.

Really, there were only two factors that influenced how I voted. First, the current government is crap, so don't vote for the Liberals or the Nationals. Second, don't support any nutters like One Nation (Xenophobic, racist, nationalist, and virtually every kind of discrimination you can think of) or Family First (right-wing Christian fundamentalists). Realistically, that leaves you with two choices: Labor, or the Greens. Doesn't matter which, because after the preferences resolve themselves it'll end up with Labor anyway...

What's odd is that I've not met anyone who things that the current government are actually doing a good job, while I know many people who thing they're doing a terrible job. Maybe it's just younger people who can't stand the guy.
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

BlackAura wrote: It also seems that many Australians are paranoid about change - good or bad - and would rather stick with something really bad than risk an alternative. Idiots...
Sounds like many Americans. I think that's why we don't have things like a National Health Care plan. People are convinced that new ideas==teh devil.
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

what would happen if a president that had served 2 terms decided to run on a ticket as a vice president then the president dies with 3 years left in office?
Roofus

Post by Roofus »

SuperMegatron wrote:what would happen if a president that had served 2 terms decided to run on a ticket as a vice president then the president dies with 3 years left in office?
The only qualification to be Vice President is being elligible to be President, so the person couldn't be VP. I'll look up the exact passage that says that in a minute.

<edit>I can't find it. I know it's in the Constitution though. I found it before. :? </edit>
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

What's odd is that I've not met anyone who things that the current government are actually doing a good job, while I know many people who thing they're doing a terrible job. Maybe it's just younger people who can't stand the guy.
I thought it was mainly the older population that really liked howard, and with an aging population in Australia, he gets a buttload of votes off it.

Anyway, I'm still pissed off. And probably will be for the next 3 years. Just so it can all happen again :evil:

Anyway, glad to see this very Australian orientated thread has turned so American :lol:
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

Skynet, i also didn't vote liberal, but we live in a very liberal seat so it wouldn't matter who we vote for.

Me and all my main mates voted labour except the chick in our group, she said that she was told interest rates would go up with labour and that one ad said lathem screwed up liverpool. We all laugh so hard cos she is a smart girl but she beleived the ad. I mean, how stupid can you get, beleiving a smear ad. The guy from the fedral bank even said the government has little impact on what happens to interest rates.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Those ads actually made me laugh pretty hard. I like the one about howard. It says something along the lines of "Howard not knowing, that's terrible." But then if he actually knew and was coverring it up "That's worse" or something along those lines, the way the guy said it just made me laugh my ass off!

My gf kept asking me (and even as we were walking through Wandana Primary School - my local place of voting :P) "who am I voting for again?" :guffaw:

I told her atleast 6 times we want howard out, latham in. And she goes "Who is howard again...?" (meaning what party) so I kept explaining that you vote Labor, and don't vote Liberal :lol: She just didn't get it :guffaw:
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

I was a bit like that, I was looking at all the posters and trying to work out what party lathem was, all the posters said was ALP, I didn't know if the L was for Labour or Liberal. But I worked it out.

Best part was the BBQ, saved my life. We were so hung over, and they had bacon and egg burgers. ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I was in heaven.