Dsnes team.PLEASE re add the option to disable Transparenci

Anything DreamSNES-related can be asked in this forum, such as general questions about the emulator, how to burn it, etc.
-Johnick-
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Dsnes team.PLEASE re add the option to disable Transparenci

Post by -Johnick- »

i had high hopes for the new Dreamsnes seeing as it had a new sh4 asm core but it might aswell not have it because just like v0.9.4 there is no otion to turn the Transparencies off which gave a HUGE! speed boost in the older builds.sorry,but v0.9.3(christmas 2000 release)is still the fastest build because it was the last build to have this option and 9 out of 10 games dont have any fancy Transparency effects and if they do they are minor,only a handfull of games NEED them to be playable.quite a few games(Super Aleste,Super R-Type etc) were almost full speed with sound in the older build if you turned them off.why the hell was it removed?.i can see why somebody would want accurate emulation in there emu but the DC is the equivilent of a p200 with 16megs of ram.have you ever run snesx on a p200?,NO game is playable with sound unless you disable Transparencies and lower the sound sample rate to about 11025.

Marcus Comstedt, Peter Bortas,Per Hedbor,PLEASE re add this to the options.im sorry but imo Dreamsnes is getting worse.all the new features are worthless without speed.try it if you dont believe me,try running Super Aleste or Super R-Type or any game on v0.9.3 with the Transparencies off and compare them to the latest build.

one more thing,the sound.what default sample rate does dreamsnes use?.i assume its 22050.if it is dont you think it would be better if the user could change it in the options?.11025 would give worse quality sound but it would also give a speed boost.poor sound is better then no sound.

well hopefully you can re add the Transparency option for the next build.
in the mean time im off to play punchout on the build you released over a year ago :( ,sad but true.

here's hoping for a better Dreamsnes.
Last edited by -Johnick- on Tue Feb 19, 2002 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter

Post by atf487 »

here's hoping for a better Dreamsnes
Come on now. If you want a better dreamsnes, MAKE ONE.
-Johnick-
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by -Johnick- »

atf487 wrote:
Holy Smokes Batman,Somebody call the thought Police :roll: .
look little boy if i could i would but i cant so in the mean time i am playing the better Dreamsnes,V0.9.3.the very fact that im STILL using an older build shows that Dreamsnes IS getting worse.
Joestar
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Joestar »

atf487 wrote:
well the reason he's asking Dreamsnes team to do it is because he can't do it himself.

it's just a simple suggestion, a good one at that as it could really help the speed boost.
btrboyev
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by btrboyev »

for my 2 cents....the dreamcast is much more poweful than a pentium 200 mhz...by far. I'd say the dreamcast is about = 500-600mhz in pc standards.
rapigator
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by rapigator »

his ideas are good. just like the ability to change frame skip in nesterdc
UmamaBinRotten
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by UmamaBinRotten »

atf487 wrote:
Now, now, lets not let emotions get in the way of common sense. -Johnick- may not be an emulator author, but his opinion is helpful, because disabling transparancies may give DSNES a notable fps boost -- and what's not to like about that?

With just a couple trivial programming tasks, DSNES could really speed up quite a bit. So far we have:

- Disable transparancies option
- Adjustable sample rate

There may be more fps hidden in the graphics and sound engines, but this is much more time consuming than the above options -- and an unlikely request to be granted by the DSNES team in short time.
-Johnick-
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by -Johnick- »

btrboyev wrote: for my 2 cents....the dreamcast is much more poweful than a pentium 200 mhz...by far. I'd say the dreamcast is about = 500-600mhz in pc standards.
no offence but that just show's how much you know.just because the pc ports of some DC games like Guilty Gear X and the upcoming PSO require a 600mhz machine doesnt mean the DC is that powerfull.the DC's ability to throw around 3D polygons means nothing when it comes to 2D snes games.
UmamaBinRotten
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by UmamaBinRotten »

rapigator wrote: his ideas are good. just like the ability to change frame skip in nesterdc
An adjustable frame skip, in addition to the sound and transparancy options, could transform DSNES from slightly playable to fully playable. To the casual gamer, one may not even notice the compromise in quality for speed -- which is exactly why these ideas make perfect sense.
Katana_

Post by Katana_ »

-Johnick- wrote: .the DC's ability to throw around 3D polygons means nothing when it comes to 2D snes games.
Actually it does, its just the tools used to port the sytems games aren't very good when it comes to porting the Sound. The sound is what slows every DC emulator down. So if we had a real DEV kit then emulators would be better.

As far as Dreamsnes goes, the new version is very good. They are working hard to make it better. They rewrote a lot of code many times to get it where it is, soon it should be amazing. Don't dis what they do, just
appreciate it.

Suggestions are one thing, complaints are another. You want them to listen? give Suggestions not complaints.
mirrorsaw_2000
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by mirrorsaw_2000 »

Yeah, personally I'd like to see DreamSNES get some more tweaking options while they're working on speeding up the emulation...

-Adjustable frameskip (Seems like DreamSNES has auto frameskip...I'd rather control it myself...some people want more speed...some people want smoother animation)
-Adjustable sample rate
-Option to disable transparencies.
-Johnick-
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by -Johnick- »

Katana wrote:
Actually it does, its just the tools used to port the sytems games aren't very good when it comes to porting the Sound. The sound is what slows every DC emulator down. So if we had a real DEV kit then emulators would be better.

As far as Dreamsnes goes, the new version is very good. They are working hard to make it better. They rewrote a lot of code many times to get it where it is, soon it should be amazing. Don't dis what they do, just
appreciate it.

Suggestions are one thing, complaints are another. You want them to listen? give Suggestions not complaints.
that was a suggestion,just like the one i made to them a year ago on there own board when v0.9.4 came out.that was the first build that had the Tranceparency option removed.They must not have been aware of how big a difference it makes.i told them,they wanted a few examples of games that ran faster.i gave them a few and they said it could be easily re added.i assumed it would be back in this release but its not :? .

as for"Don't dis what they do, just appreciate it"i do appreciate it.i appreciate v0.9.3 but as for the last 2 releases its a case of nice try but no cigar.why would i still be using a build thats over a year old if this new build was better?.its called an opinion Katana and everybodys allowed to have one.

as for the DC's 3D capabilitys playing any kind of role in Dreamsnes all i can think of is if somebody wrote a custom superfx engine for the emu.other then that,nothing.i realise sound is the hardest thing to do when it comes to DC emu's but its not as big a deal as your making it out to be,and it certainly isnt the main reason for Dreamsnes being so slow.imo its simply because its a port of snesx which is a slow(maybe even the slowest) snes emu.if we had an asm wiz kid who could port zsnes then things would be different but sadly i cant see that ever happening.
Pxtl
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Well,

Post by Pxtl »

A lot of people blame DSnes's slowness on snes9x - I think a few things should be made clear - snes9x was slow because it used a standard language instead of x86 assember, which only runs on PC's, like zsnes did. Zsnes, unfortunately, is thus unportable. Now, the reason it was slow on the DC was that it was coded in a compiler language, not in the native DC assembler. Now, with .95, they're changing that. So, in reality, it really isn't a port of snes9x anymore. Snes9x's chief feature was its compiled code nature, which is now gone. Its chief current tie to snes9x is the logic behind the code, that snes9x was the where they got their understanding of the guts of the snes.

So, now DSnes is slow because DSNES is slow. Personally, I bet they're just having difficulty with the inflexible nature of the DC. Consoles are designed to operate One Way, in One Manner, and the snes was designed in a different One. Therefore, translating from one to the other (the job of the emulator) is very, very heavy work. And yes, the DC is more like a P200 then anything newer. Just pretend its a P200 with a built-in super MMX and an on-board geforce3, and then you'll have a better understanding of the DC - consoles are wierd that way. Besides, remember that it only has to render at 512x384, the max res of the TV - this, makes 3d somewhat easier.
Single player is masturbation.
peskypescado
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Just a note...

Post by peskypescado »

The DC is more like a P200 when it comes to raw computations like emulation, the PowerVR doesn't help it much in that respect. Although I do think quite a few fps could be picked up with transparencies turned off, and perhaps a lower sampling rate. Also I think mode7 could be handled by the PowerVR, which would off load a lot of processing and probably look better, and I think the superfx chip emulation could probably be done by it too. Anyway, it's still a great emulator.

------------------------------------------
http://www.accidentprone.com/beatpoetz/
-Johnick-
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Just a note...

Post by -Johnick- »

peskypescado wrote: Anyway, it's still a great emulator.

------------------------------------------
http://www.accidentprone.com/beatpoetz/
of course,but it could be better if they simply left back in an option they removed.
miah
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by miah »

My question for the DreamSNES team is, are they going to keep up to date on newer Snes9x releases, and when are they going to enable the GameGenie support. Snes9x already has built in support for GameGenie, and the ability to 'search' for new codes. It'd be great to see that enabled. I realize they're working on speed now, and they're doing a kickass job so it's not really that important.

Its too bad they havn't setup DreamSNES on sourceforge or somthing, people could submit bug fixes, features, etc..
-miah
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."
-- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter

Post by atf487 »

sorry about the other post. I just was mad that day.
-Johnick-
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by -Johnick- »

atf487 wrote: sorry about the other post. I just was mad that day.
np ;)
Boogerman
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Boogerman »

It's not getting worse at all though. Their goal is not to give the people a playable emulator, but to get perfect emulation...

Could you turn the BG off on a SNES? Could you think "Transparancies blow" and turn them off? no, so in many ways, DreamSNES is getting better at their goal.

You do have to remember that this is their project and they seem to like the fact that people enjoy it, but are basically going for perfect emulation, not fancy speed-up options :)
Katana_

Post by Katana_ »

Johnick- i wasn't trying to attack you, i was just sick of people talking so much trash about .95

I totally agree the layer background option would really be nice to have again. If it is its no doubt if its in the next release it would rock! The progress made is quite nice though, much smoother fullscreen then .94. Plus the save feature(which needs tweaking will rock). I think it gave us a good idea what to be expecting in the future. Its getting closer to 100%