Twin Angels - Small Arcade-like Game.

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
Krut
DC Respected Artist
DC Respected Artist
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Twin Angels - Small Arcade-like Game.

Post by Krut »

Well , all the art is done for this game, and i have a pretty competent design document, I?ve had this completed for quite a few months, and i think its quite enough, there?s probably small details to add or something, but the game itself is ready.

Im hoping for the game to be available both for the PC and Dreamcast, and from what i know with DSL it shouldnt be hard to have both versions available.

Im posting this here since its not really a port idea, but a "from-scratch-proyect", so if anyone is interested reply here with any cuestion you may have, and we?ll take it from there.

I leave you to the links;

http://krut.rhinoz.net/krut/Pixel/Twin_Angels/

Thanks for your time.

By the way , Ian if you happen to read this , lets start the work again men ;) im ready.
Capcom vs. Snk ? meh!
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Nice. (I assume you mean SDL though) You might have better luck getting a PC programmer to make this then have a Programmer here (I'd volunteer if I can do it...) to port it. If the Dreamcast is kept in mind while it is made (you know, memory limits, input handling, etc.) then the port would be more of an update.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Krut
DC Respected Artist
DC Respected Artist

Post by Krut »

YES! SDL, what the hell was i thinking.

Well, yes you got a point, just thought some coder here might be interested, besides its not "that" big of a proyect.

Ill wait a while and see if i get some possitive response, if not , i might take you up on that Quzar.
Capcom vs. Snk ? meh!
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Yea, I was just saying that because I dont know of any programmer that frequents here that is very knowledgable in SDL. Sure, manipulating it in ways to make ports easier plenty know, but writing something ground up... well...
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Yea, I was just saying that because I dont know of any programmer that frequents here that is very knowledgable in SDL
That's not exactly true. I've been using SDL for a few projects, mostly writing a PC version with SDL and OpenGL, and a Dreamcast version with native code. Using SDL to write things from scratch is pretty easy anyway. Or, at least, easier than using DirectX (shudder) or, in some ways, easier than writing it for a Dreamcast in the first place.

I might be interested in having a go at it.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Well, go for it then =). Its just that the code that i have seen in SDL games seems to differ greatly from that in SDL applications, as it is usually more... technical? Anyways yea.

Oh, by the way, you are wrong. It IS exactly true, because I didn't know of it =P
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Got any graphics which aren't in animated GIF format? I don't have anything capable of extracting the frames from them?

Edit: Never mind. The Gimp can do it.
Storminator16
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Storminator16 »

quzar wrote:Yea, I was just saying that because I dont know of any programmer that frequents here that is very knowledgable in SDL. Sure, manipulating it in ways to make ports easier plenty know, but writing something ground up... well...
You are an ass. I finally got that off my chest. I read many of your posts, but all I gather is that you are a know-it-all. You are an ingrate.

To stay away from hijacking the thread: Krut, I was just reading the design document and I was trying to figure out one thing. Is this game suppose to be fast paced, or is it suppose to be a sickening fast paced? Sounds like this game would be cool if it was insanely frenetic ;) Is this the goal?
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

My interpretation is that the goal is to keep going as long as possible. The clock decreases every time you lose a soul, and increases every time you save one. I think the game would get really boring if kept going the same speed all the way through. If you're winning, by definition your time is going to be increasing, so we need to make it harder to compensate.

I think I'm going to have a go at this.

Oh yeah... Do these images all have the same colour palette? If so, I can just use 8-bit images all the way through, and let the video hardware deal with all that garbage.
Krut
DC Respected Artist
DC Respected Artist

Post by Krut »

Yes, exactly, think of it like the level selection on Tetris, and about the pallette, yeah, 256 colours should be more than enough.
Capcom vs. Snk ? meh!
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Storminator16 wrote:
quzar wrote:Yea, I was just saying that because I dont know of any programmer that frequents here that is very knowledgable in SDL. Sure, manipulating it in ways to make ports easier plenty know, but writing something ground up... well...
You are an ass. I finally got that off my chest. I read many of your posts, but all I gather is that you are a know-it-all. You are an ingrate.
Its funny I have always thought the same of you.

Seriously, i have worked with SDL in ports and i know that its different from what is required in creating something new. I also didnt know of anyone who had worked with it extensively enough to create something from the ground up with it (now me thinks of GPF, which i hadnt recalled before), but anyways, good luck BA, by the design docs this looks like a really fun game.
qatmix
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by qatmix »

Krut, thats a nice game. I have a version of it on my phone called Divine intervention. Its a really good little game and I would love to play a DC version of it.
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

looks fun! grafx look nice as well.

not exactly theologically sound, but looks like fun
Krut
DC Respected Artist
DC Respected Artist

Post by Krut »

qatmix wrote:Krut, thats a nice game. I have a version of it on my phone called Divine intervention. Its a really good little game and I would love to play a DC version of it.
Is that true ? i would love to get the publisher?s name since i presented it a few months back to a couple of cell developing companies...of course the idea might have been just created before me ?
Capcom vs. Snk ? meh!
qatmix
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by qatmix »

I will have a look, the game is old though as it was on a games cd that came with my last phone (about 2 years ago).
Krut
DC Respected Artist
DC Respected Artist

Post by Krut »

Ah, nothing to do then, would still love to check it out, i googled it and got no information.
Capcom vs. Snk ? meh!
qatmix
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by qatmix »

The CD is at my parents, I'll dig it up if you are interested?
Krut
DC Respected Artist
DC Respected Artist

Post by Krut »

Definitely, id apreciate that.... im very curious.
Capcom vs. Snk ? meh!
bramenjam
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by bramenjam »

@Krut: I've sent you a PM