new private developers forum

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
WRAGGSTER
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

new private developers forum

Post by WRAGGSTER »

upon talking to several people we have made a private developers forum at dcemu uk.

a place where projects can be worked on without any fear of newsposting and also collaboration between sites to ensure the best development of the dreamcast scene.

it wont be a substitute for this or any other dev forum but it should be a great place for private discussion.

heres the link :

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=pdev
Webmaster of DCEmu

The Homebrew and Gaming Network Covering All Consoles.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

now that people can see this here, what stops anybody from going in there? or is this just for protection from newsposts, cause if that's the case, that is nice (no offense but it can be annoying to have things you say posted on the front page without permission, since like official statementes would be able to be more... official looking =P)
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

quzar wrote:now that people can see this here, what stops anybody from going in there? or is this just for protection from newsposts, cause if that's the case, that is nice (no offense but it can be annoying to have things you say posted on the front page without permission, since like official statementes would be able to be more... official looking =P)
I'm just speculating, but judging from the post in the forum, it seems like access is granted only to coders. ie: If you see the forums, then you're a known coder, and you've got access. If you don't, well then you're not on the list.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
WRAGGSTER
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster

Post by WRAGGSTER »

your correct Metafox

id like to make a great coder or a few coder mods of the forum so that they can tell us who they would like to have access.

try and logout and see the forum :P
Webmaster of DCEmu

Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

ooooo. spiffy. i feel special =P.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

Cool Wragg.
No signature.
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

Sounds cool!
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

I like reading the stuff coders write, even if I can't participate. It's very interesting to me... but I guess if it helps coders work together out of the public eye, that's fine.
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

I think the new forum is intended as a place where one could, say, release a beta version of a program to get some feedback without it reaching the general public.

It's obvious that having general development discussion in a private forum is a bad idea, as new developers would be unable to access that information.
"Nothing works" - Catweazle
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Alexvrb wrote:I like reading the stuff coders write, even if I can't participate. It's very interesting to me... but I guess if it helps coders work together out of the public eye, that's fine.
you usually have insightful input, i think if you ask you would be granted coder status at DCemu so that you could view it ;) (either that or just do a quicky port of something =P)
Phantom wrote:I think the new forum is intended as a place where one could, say, release a beta version of a program to get some feedback without it reaching the general public.

It's obvious that having general development discussion in a private forum is a bad idea, as new developers would be unable to access that information.
oo, thats a good idea. if i can get the hosting figured out, ill have something to show later tonight :wink:
WRAGGSTER
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster

Post by WRAGGSTER »

if coders feel that certain people should be granted acess to the private forum.

then ill add them on the coders recommendation :)
Webmaster of DCEmu

bloated
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by bloated »

Hey guys I'm just getting started at this stuff...built my first cross-compiler yesterday
and my coder's cable should be in the mail. One of the reasons I thought I could get
started at this stuff is that I was able to read about all the things that were going on
here.

I know it is difficult to have some of your stuff out in a public forum, but please don't
forget that that is what brings a lot of new people into your "community".
Octo
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Octo »

Same opinion here...

I already worked in an project where we had about 70 people working and discussing. After the developers moved to their own mailinglist only 5 people were left because there was no progress information and no discussion in the official list - the project is almost dead now (there are also no new members joining, because there is no detailed public information).

I understand that coordination and releasing beta versions is very important for a project, but programmers discussion on general things should never move to a private forum.
It is also important to see any progress made on software because the people see that there are other people working on new software and don't leave the system.
WRAGGSTER
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster

Post by WRAGGSTER »

the privvate forum will never replace this forum and only top secret stuff that normally gets discussed in pms will get discussed there.

fear not
Webmaster of DCEmu

Kamjin
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Kamjin »

I also think think a private forum has it purposes,

Firstly it limits the ability from hijacking and keeps the discussion focused, and as Wraggster was saying instead of email's and PM's flying around it opens the discussion up to other's, who can potentially help.
A good example of this is the DCNincest thread, where it just went totally off the handle.
Another one over at DCEmu, when Quzar started the port of Bhole, he had asked for people to try out different games to get an idea of compatability, it went totally sideways everyone was posting unrealistic request, and he ended up being ignored..
That's probably a good example of where something should have been kept offline until it was stable, and the focus could have stayed on actual testing and reporting, and not making request to run Server 2K3..

It won't take away anything from these forums, it will just make a place where there's no fear of things going to overhype/overexpectation mode, and then turning into flame wars, and then people turning around and attacking you for not completeing something on someone else's schedule.. ICARUS.. cough..
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

Kamjin wrote:and the focus could have stayed on actual testing and reporting, and not making request to run Server 2K3..
Don't forget Windows 98! ;)

As long as the public discussion doesn't die completely as a result, then it is a good idea.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

yea that was crazy. 'here is an emulator that plays 4 DOS games only" really? when is win98 for DC coming out?
FETUS
Knight of Null
Knight of Null

Post by FETUS »

Hey I don't have permission and I made that spiffy toaster simulator (sorry had to)