Need computer help please!!!

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Moe the Bartender
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Need computer help please!!!

Post by Moe the Bartender »

alright i am trying to rebuild one of my computers after having a hard drive problem i decided to put a different drive in my dell Optiplex GX1. Now i do realize this computer sucks but i just used it for starcraft. I decided to work on it then i realized i have a bigger problem on my hands the computer will turn on but after that nothing. it doesn't boot anything show anything on the screen it won't turn off, but it is getting power. i decided then to try to rebuild my other computer which is a compaq which i hate. the only thing is it will boot but i need it formatted and i can't get it to boot from the Floopy disk even when i set it up in the bios. Also when it does boot up to windows it freezes and won't let me use the mouse or keyboard which i can use in the bios. If anybody can help me it would be appreciated.
Captain Spaulding
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Captain Spaulding »

You can just format it with the windows cd.It has to be a full version i dont believe you can use an upgrade cd. You just have to set the bios to boot from cd, usually what i do is make the cd rom the first boot device. Or you can make a boot cd from a boot floppy. I think Nero can do this. I use windows xp cd to format my hard drive.
I know what your problem is.
Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?
Yeah, well saddle up the mule, ma.Slide me some grits, I's gots to get me some edu-cation, uh hu hu hu.
You @sshole.
nakamichi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by nakamichi »

It might be a problem with incorrect jumper settings that the HDD doesn't want to work on your old comp.
ninja
DCEmu's own ninja
DCEmu's own ninja

Post by ninja »

ya, for the dell try removing the hdd / cd-rom and try to power on and see if itll post, if it does, then its an incorrect jumper or faulty drive. im gonna lean towards the jumpers. Also, does the machine give you any beep's?

For the compaq, ive had numerous problems with floppy drivers in compaq's. Im not sure what os your wanting to install, but if its 9x, you need to format it using a boot disk, or alternatively, you could always make a boot cd, but those can be confusing if you have never made one.
Delete my posting account.

Thanks.
nakamichi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by nakamichi »

a Win98SE boot disk with fdisk.exe should do the job
Vchat20
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Vchat20 »

first off, for every computer ive had, ive never seen incorrect jumpers cause problems booting. if anything, the computer just wouldnt recognize the incorrectly configured drives.

as for the computer not booting. was the power light on, just nothing happening? cuz ive had that happen with my old one and just passed it off as the motherboard being bad. while that my have not been the case, i did try things such as swapping memory, cpu, and the cmos battery and had no luck getting it to work.
ninja
DCEmu's own ninja
DCEmu's own ninja

Post by ninja »

some mobo's have issues with incorrect jumpers on devices, also, double check your IDE cable, if its plugged in backwards that would cause it not to boot / not to post.
Delete my posting account.

Thanks.
Captain Spaulding
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Captain Spaulding »

i can't get it to boot from the Floopy disk even when i set it up in the bios.
Also when you rebuilt the computer make sure you didnt get the floppy drive cable backwards, its easy to do. If the floppy drive light stays on all the time then the cable is backwards explaining why the floppy wont boot
I know what your problem is.
Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?
Yeah, well saddle up the mule, ma.Slide me some grits, I's gots to get me some edu-cation, uh hu hu hu.
You @sshole.