Did you know that you can skip the boot up animation?

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
Captain Skyhawk
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Did you know that you can skip the boot up animation?

Post by Captain Skyhawk »

I have used my Dreamcast for over 3 years now and I've never the discoverd in the thousand times that I booted up the Dreamcast, that you can skip the boot up animation by just pressing start when booting.

I'm feeling so stupid, that I never knew this what obvisouly everyone knows already (maybe it's even in mentioned in the manual). When I was testing software I forced myself into watching the intro again and again. What a waste of time... That damn Dreamcast keeps having secrets for me, this must be the last one I've know of! :twisted:

Please tell me if anybody else who have used there Dreamcast so long and didn't know of this. It makes me feel less stupid. Now laugh at me.
Visit the DC Help for all the Dreamcast homebrew help you need!
Go to DC Evolution, for the best ready to burn images
popley
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by popley »

I just found out about that too, never knew it was there. But i like watch it.
"It's only after we've lost everything, that we are truly free to do anything." Fight Club

http://www.geocities.com/nesterdcgamecodes
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Same here. I saw it first in Chankast, but I never thought anything of it - I thought it was a quirk of the emulator. Not long after, I was impatiently tapping buttons whilst restarting the Dreamcast a lot; I was testing out a boot disc I'd bought and all the various different ways it could boot games.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Rev. Layle
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Rev. Layle »

i found that out like after owning a DC for a week
CyberMick
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by CyberMick »

Are you guys pulling our leg? :lol:

I knew about this from day one, I can be a bit impatient sometimes so I usually press the START buttons on consoles to speed things up and so found that out almost straight away. :D
Regards.

CyberMick.
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox »

I found out about it on day 3 of my DC ownership
Digital Chaos
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Digital Chaos »

Dreamwhat? Whocast?
frogcoin
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by frogcoin »

i fin it the second day i had my dreamcast.

but still i love to see it. if like if seeing it, im making honor to the big company who make the last console to his fans
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

I've known it almost as long as I've had my DC. If you hit start as fast possible, it is really obvious how fast the Dreamcast boots up... Has anyone timed it? It must be half that of the PS2s.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

I found it striaght away, used to be able to do it with my saturn as well
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

I never knew that. Or at least didnt actively know it. I probably did it before but didnt realize.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
doragasu
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by doragasu »

I knew it since some years ago. Also, if any of you have a Neo Geo Pocket, you can also skip the boot up animation by pressing the B button.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

well I knew it 5 mins before I owned the dc cauz I tested it at the shop and the guy skipped it )()(
Chainfist
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Chainfist »

Well, at least you can skip the boot up... though I do like the Dreamcast Boot up better than all other consoles... there is some sort of innocence about it.

(Did SNES, NES, Genesis and other cart based systems have boot screens on them?)

There are still games out there once in a while, such as Unreal Championship for XBOX, that you have to sit through 3 screens of developer intro movies before you can get to the game play and it won't let you skip.. very annoying.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

all those systems had "Licensed by " screens, but those were stored in the carts not the system necessarily.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

the produced by or licensed by sega was in the systems
Mega Drive 1 did it for all games
mage drive 2 did it for selected games
Captain Skyhawk
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Captain Skyhawk »

Why didn't tell anyone me this before?! :wink: And indeed, the Dreamcast can boot very quickly. If you press start right after you power it on you only see the logo for a sec and it than goes to the Sega license screen.
Visit the DC Help for all the Dreamcast homebrew help you need!
Go to DC Evolution, for the best ready to burn images
aisupikku
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by aisupikku »

BILAL_XIA wrote:well I knew it 5 mins before I owned the dc cauz I tested it at the shop and the guy skipped it )()(
What a jerk! :mrgreen:

I have to say that I like the Saturn and Dreamcast opening screens very much -- The PlayStation's I like the least, and the Playstation2's is pretty alright. I probably like the PS's the least because one couldn't skip it, and so, not only was it not my favorite initially, but I even grew tired of it. The PS2's is shorter, and pretty neat-looking, but it seems sort of like inefficient design since one must open the drive to play a game (unless it's already in there, which I tend not to do), and so, since the opening screen is not that long, one ends up having to go to the main menu if they do not insert a disc fast enough, meaning more waiting time before the system realizes that it's a game and starts it up... So, I usually end up opening from standby, then placing the disc on the tray, and pressing reset, which probably actually isn't so good for the system. Arg.

I like that the DC, Saturn, and NGPC screens can be skipped, if only so that we don't grow tired of them! If you're in the mood, you watch it; If not, you skip, and they're all sort of gentle on the skipping -- The Saturn's and DC's overblend to finished screen with music quick-fade, and, the NGPC's skip-to-final animation and start. Neat stuff.

By the way; Does anyone know offhand if Pocket Tennis (Color) for NGP is any fun [for $15]?
« ˆˆ -ˆ-ˆ ˆ » [ Let's help! Trizeal DC ]
BaldMonk
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by BaldMonk »

Haha, I knew before I owned it because I did it in the shop... but yeah, that was one thing I loved about the DC... it was the first console to have the actual logo animation from the adverts... fantastic.
someoneElse
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by someoneElse »

BILAL_XIA wrote: Mega Drive 1 did it for all games
Unless you happen to have one of the first ones made that were produced before the big unlicensed games fiasco, muahahah...;)

Almost makes me wish I hadn't installed those overclocking switches in there...;(

I stumbled on the boot animation skipping bit early in as well, thought it was pretty cool. Good thing most games take less time than the animation to do their actual loading. It's kinda of a 'Hey, look at this flashy thingee!" while the magician sneaks the bunny rabbit in from the other side.
Can you survive Darwin's Blade? Sign up Today