Neogeo cd now using the c68k

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Neogeo cd now using the c68k

Post by Ian Micheal »

Well this is a great day with Stefs help and my 2 part dev system kos1.1.9 and some crazy ness thrown in.I have it working fullspeed no slow down on games. It's like wow.

New version coming soon.

You will not beleive the speed this has.

It is a bit crazy to compile you need dev C++ and cygwin and to version of kos thats crazy.

Any way works and so good makes the other version look like it's running at 50%.
Last edited by Ian Micheal on Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dreamcast forever!!!
politoe
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster
Has thanked: 0

Post by politoe »

Great news Ian. :D
skar
how powerful i am!
Been thanked: 0

Post by skar »

wow that's really cool :)
Digital Chaos
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Digital Chaos »

Awsome... Is this full speed with speed to spair? I ask because if/when SFX are implemented it may decrease speed.

You are really one of the great DC Devs.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Very great news indeed!!! :D
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
cky2k3
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by cky2k3 »

Very good news thats for sure you never cease to amaze me ian :)
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

...posted at http://www.dcemu.co.uk!

Chris
Insane homebrew collector.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

I hope so Have to try SFX on very soon just having a lot of fun seeing it this good.

Stef D is the greatist!

*bows*
Dreamcast forever!!!
doragasu
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by doragasu »

This isn't happening... I wake up and see Genesis and Neo Geo CD emulators for DC reaching fullspeed!!!

???This is a great day!!!

Thank you all Ian, Black Aura, all the contributors and of course Stef D, ?you have great skills coding in SH4 asm!

:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

This isn't happening... I wake up and see Genesis and Neo Geo CD emulators for DC reaching fullspeed!!!

???This is a great day!!!

Thank you all Ian, Black Aura, all the contributors and of course Stef D, ?you have great skills coding in SH4 asm!
Makes you wonder how far we can get!

Genesis :D
GBA :D
NGCD :D

What's next!? :lol:

SNES should be on it's way to greatness before too long (even tho it's already pretty good :D)
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Christuserloeser

Yeah, Stef is the best! :bow: Thank you Ian and Fosters for NeoCD and BlackAura and Charles MacDonald for GenesisPlusDC and all the coders, supporters and contributors. See, I knew human's were able to fly: :fly:

@doragasu: Stef's new C68K core isn't written in SHx Assembler, it's still in C, but very very optimized work :twisted:

There was a project once for a SHx Motorola 68K but I don't know what became of it, since I haven't heard of these ppl for some time now:

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaB ... 1083323639

The big advantage of Stef's core is that it's highly portable so it could be used on other systems too. It might be the best 68K emu available.
A CPU emu written in SHx Assembler would be 2 or 3 times faster but could be used only for Saturn or Dreamcast (and other machines that make use of an Hitachi SHx family)

Chris
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

This is a very very well written emulator (the c68k core) and i highly doubt that even SH asm 68k emulators would be 2-3 times faster.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Digital Chaos
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Digital Chaos »

When can we expect a release?

And what will you be calling this new version?
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Well we want to play around with it about and add some stuff. I get no slow down tot he first hellicopter in metal slug 1 but the village still has some slow down. thing is i over clocked it and it still did. yet the other games were running faster and faster as i over clocked them.

SFX on was to slow some thing is wrong with the z80 it is using far to much power.
Dreamcast forever!!!
doragasu
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by doragasu »

???Yes!!!

???Release Please!!!

And thanks for the info Christus, I can't believe a 68K core written in C can reach this speed. Stef D. must be the GOD OF C AND 68K OPTIMIZATIONS.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Well we want to play around with it about and add some stuff. I get no slow down tot he first hellicopter in metal slug 1 but the village still has some slow down. thing is i over clocked it and it still did. yet the other games were running faster and faster as i over clocked them.

SFX on was to slow some thing is wrong with the z80 it is using far to much power.
Dreamcast forever!!!
Christuserloeser

Ian Micheal wrote:Well we want to play around with it about and add some stuff. I get no slow down tot he first hellicopter in metal slug 1 but the village still has some slow down. thing is i over clocked it and it still did. yet the other games were running faster and faster as i over clocked them.

Yeah! There's a need of a fast Z80 emu, really! GenesisPlusDC, SMSplusDC (FM2413 emulation) and NeoDC would really start to take off with a faster Z80 core - I bet there are lots of other machines that use this CPU!

Maybe you can add an *optional* high quality soundFX emulation with suitable limited frameskip (once again :? ), otherwise don't implement soundFX at all :| and just do a release if you are finished with all other stuff you wanted to add. Take the time needed, I bet we are all more happy when you are happy with it too :wink:

The speed/slowdown problem with Metal Slug happens on the real machine as well - I don't know if you can get rid of it at all :!: I really have no idea, but if it's possible with any Frameskip/Overclocking/Sprite limit / Maximum Sprite setting/combination, your 'game database' idea would allow the best solution for these two games.
Maybe Fosters knows a solution for the SpriteLimit thing?
quzar wrote:This is a very very well written emulator (the c68k core) and i highly doubt that even SH asm 68k emulators would be 2-3 times faster.
I absolutly don't know and actually I don't really care if it would be faster atm anyway :D I am really happy with everything as it is atm (well except the Z80 that slows down GenesisPlusDC and NeoCD)

Chris
Heliophobe
Smeg Creator
Smeg Creator

Post by Heliophobe »

Christuserloeser wrote: Yeah! There's a need of a fast Z80 emu, really! GenesisPlusDC, SMSplusDC (FM2413 emulation) and NeoDC would really start to take off with a faster Z80 core - I bet there are lots of other machines that use this CPU!
Particularly, lots of arcade machines use the z80 --- some use up to three of them concurrently.
qatmix
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by qatmix »

there are a range of emus like Atari ST and Amiga which will benefit from an optimised 68k emulation. Also mame uses 68k for a wide series of machiens, such as the ones which Atari used to play Supersprint. An optimised piece of C code is just about as quick as any Assembler port. So you can assume that part will not get quicker. It seems that the Z80 is the other major processor which would eb good tooptimise, as its uses in loads of Arcade machines and home machines (Megadrive & NGCD)

Also metal slug 1 does slow down on the NGCD, so it depends on how the emu is working.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Well the slow down is still to much ive seen it on the real machine it's a touch worst after testing both for a while. Pretty close thou speed is a bit to fast till the slow down which is strange.

It's a big step up thou.
Dreamcast forever!!!