SEGA PROMETHEUS - sadly a LIE!

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
Segata Sanshiro
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

SEGA PROMETHEUS - sadly a LIE!

Post by Segata Sanshiro »

Before everything else, i wanna apologise if someone already posted this info, but i've been very busy with work lately and have barely been able to visit the forum.

here goes:
Sega to launch new handheld device.

E3 2004 will surely be remembered as the year of the portable gaming device. With Sony's PSP announcement and Nintendo's DS unveiling, this year's
show has already had more than its fair share of portable goodness - but Sega's shock revelation that it is developing its own device must top the
lot.

However, according to Yuji Naka, who unveiled the machine to shocked games industry representatives at a Sega E3 press briefing held just half an
hour ago, with their new creation (code- named 'Prometheus') Sega are not attempting to directly compete with either Sony or Nintendo. 'Prometheus'
is instead being billed by Sega as "the videogame equivalent of the iPod", and with the machine's pearl-white colour scheme it is obvious to see
that the company wish to invoke the design- chic of Steve Jobs' ultra-popular music-playing machine. The similarities do not end there, however:
rather than purchasing games from their local GameStop, gamers will download 'Prometheus' titles (called 'gamebits') from a special Sega online
service which, Sega said, will operate in a similar way to Apple's iTunes software. With the use of a supplied USB cable (also white) users may then
transfer up to twenty 'gamebits' on to their 'Prometheus' system's 15GB hard drive for play any time, any place.

The 'Prometheus' is roughly the same width as a CD case, and half the height. It will operate on a rechargeable battery (as yet unconfirmed as
being lithium) which Sega say will last up to twenty hours. In a surprising move, in order to conserve battery power, the 'Prometheus' screen will
not be backlit: a decision which we believe likely to alienate many gamers, and one inexplicable in lieu of recent technological developments which
should negate such problems. Nevertheless, with the power, according to Sega, of "the Dreamcast, plus a little extra", and a genuinely innovative
and cost- effective approach to game distribution, the 'Prometheus' certainly shows promise - and if the jubilant cheers and applause from the
assembled journos are anything to go by, Sega's return to hardware is more than welcome.

Expect more tomorrow at the official Sega press conference where we hope to see at least footage of several potential launch titles.
I know this is old news, but anyway,.... might be new to some...
If there is another topic on this, i apologise again, if not, please post any info related to this issue here!

Thanx
Last edited by Segata Sanshiro on Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

"a Sega E3 press briefing held just half an hour ago..."

Didn't E3 finish a while ago?
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Segata Sanshiro
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

:D I know, its a month already (i've been so busy i didnt find the news on time) i just got the info in an email from my wife while i'm at work.

Anyway did you already knew about it?
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

I'd heard similar rumours, but not this specific one. I hsve my doubts, though.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

First I've heard of it.

I sure hope this isn't real. I can only see bad things. :( Especially with no back light :o
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Segata Sanshiro
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

If its real i think SEGA will make it backlit.

But what do you think of this
Nevertheless, with the power, according to Sega, of "the Dreamcast, plus a little extra", and a genuinely innovative
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Nevertheless, with the power, according to Sega, of "the Dreamcast, plus a little extra", and a genuinely innovative
Well the "little extra" had better be worth it. I'd take SEGA or Nintendo over Sony or MS anyday, but a good majority of todays "gamers" (if you can call them that) are like "OMG ITZ T3H SORNY!!!!!111!! AND MICROSHAFT!!1111ONE!!!~~~!"

So I dunno, this could be good, it could be bad. I would expect it to be big in Japan though, if released

EDIT: Oh god. I said Sony instead of SEGA. I feel so dirty :oops: :o
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Lord_Ball
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Lord_Ball »

Skynet wrote:First I've heard of it.
You sure about that?
http://www.dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewto ... ht=#514402

Anyway I still think it's a nice idea, but needs to be a bit more refined. Backlight wouldn't necessarily be an issue if it came with an external light standard, afterall gameboy wasn't backlit until the SP I believe, so obviously it's not the most important thing.
q_006
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by q_006 »

if they were smart...... they'd bring back all of the Genesis classics/hits.
but i doubt they're that smart..... but at least we'll have a new handheld for our DCs now..... :roll:
The Kron
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by The Kron »

Its fake news.
q_006
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by q_006 »

....proves i'm not that smart either...... :rumpshaker:
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Let's hope that there'll be no new SEGA-SAMMY home system (beside a handheld), that would instantly crash the whole DC scene :o

Chris
Insane homebrew collector.
Sonic-NKT
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Sonic-NKT »

q_006 wrote:if they were smart...... they'd bring back all of the Genesis classics/hits.
you can just buy a gp32 to play those :)
doragasu
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by doragasu »

Can't be true. We all would have heard a lot about it...
df0notfound
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by df0notfound »

if it was true it would be one of their stupidest decisions yet (a statement which has lost all meaning long ago with segas history haha)
OminaeYu
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by OminaeYu »

The Kron wrote:Its fake news.
Hello people lets read before we reply :roll:
:cowsleep:
Lord_Ball
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Lord_Ball »

Yeah it's fake, but as an idea what is soooooo stupid about it? I mean it isn't perfect, but it could actually be decent depending on details and how it would actually be implemented.
q_006
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by q_006 »

Sonic-NKT wrote:
q_006 wrote:if they were smart...... they'd bring back all of the Genesis classics/hits.
you can just buy a gp32 to play those :)
i mean new sequels or updated versions.
not the same ole same ole :P
q_006
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by q_006 »

Lord_Ball wrote:Yeah it's fake, but as an idea what is soooooo stupid about it? I mean it isn't perfect, but it could actually be decent depending on details and how it would actually be implemented.
besides the fact that as an hardware developer they've bombed more times than they care to remember. and because of that not many people would take them seriously. or the fact that it is sounds like a lite version of the PSP. or the fact that it's "the Dreamcast but a little more powerful/enhanced".... actually it's a handheld, so scratch that.

but unless it comes out in full force, everything in place, with games (that can't be ripped) with full functionality and loads of them (games that is), i don't see how you can think it's a good idea.
Lord_Ball
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Lord_Ball »

I didn't say it was a "good idea" just that it had/has potential.