CD scratches

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
Untamed
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

CD scratches

Post by Untamed »

OK, I bought Soul Calibur when I got my Dreamcast, despite the scratches that I knew would cause the game not to work. I was hoping there was a away to fix them. I read in a thread on here somewhere about using 3M polishing compound and 3M rubbing compound. I went looking for them today, but I couldn't find them. I bought Turtlewax polishing compound instead. I tried it, and it didn't seem to work. Any tips?

EDIT: My disc is very very smoothly polished now. Heh...
Last edited by Untamed on Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ignorance can be cured, stupidity cannot."
Roofus wrote:Gay marriage and donkey rape are the same thing. Duh. :roll:
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

I bought this stuff called CD SKIP FIXER. It really did the job with GTA3. GTA3 would freeze at the loading part but after I used it BAM it worked. It only cost $7.99 I think from Gamestop.
:headbang: Dreamcast :headbang:
Untamed
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Untamed »

Heh, well if you could find me a Gamestop in Vancouver B.C. I'll love you forever?

:P
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

There isnt one...? What I can do is see if my Gamestop still has it and how much it is. I can buy it and send it to you. Of course money required.
MystiK
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by MystiK »

so that cd skip fixer thing actually works? I thought it was just some kind of disc cleaner for stupid people.
French Connection United Kingdom should be renamed to French Union Connection Klothing
Untamed
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Untamed »

Yeah, hesitant on the whole getting sent stuff from the US thing. Read my original post way back when. I never seem to get ANYTHING that is sent to me from the US EVAR. It's a pain in the ass. :(
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

Oh shit I just relized Vancover is in Canada :lol: . I am sure you can buy it online. Bottle kinda looks like this but not exactly...

-edit- http://www.ezproducts.biz/ is the site.
Untamed
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Untamed »

mmk... *sigh*
Fatboy11
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Fatboy11 »

t-cut will also work , if you apply it right , i use it all the time. you have to rub it vertically and it takes awhile fro the resadue to dissapear , still leaves smaller scratches , but , it works. heres the science bit

if you get a tiny scratch on your glasses , and you look at it without wearing them from a distance , you can see it , but put them on , and you cant. same thing with the lens of your dreamcast , it will remove big scratches that you can see close up and leave smaller ones you cant , a smooth rubbing compound would leave it looking scratch free , but , under a microscope , a brand new cd has scratches ... ah anyway , you get the point , just use t-cut
Untamed
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Untamed »

Yeah, the Turtle Wax polishing compound left small thin vertical scratches... I thought I f*cked it up... I don't know what I'm doing, lol.

NEWB!
*points at himself and laughs*

:|
Fatboy11
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Fatboy11 »

Yeah, the Turtle Wax polishing compound left small thin vertical scratches... I thought I f*cked it up... I don't know what I'm doing, lol.

NEWB!
*points at himself and laughs*
yep , you wanna be doing it vertically LOL , But Redo it vertically , and all should be well.
hey , dont laugh at yourself , i cant count the amount of stuff i have blown up in the learning process :wink:
Untamed
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Untamed »

Well I just redid it again and I tried very carefully. If my Soulcalibur STILL freezes, I guess I'll be left with a VERY smooth copy of Soulcalibur.

EDIT: Seriously, this CD is uber smooth. lol
Fatboy11
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Fatboy11 »

true , but i heard somewhere about some copies of games being defective from out of the factory , i am shure soul calibur was one that was affected and shenmue II and some others , so you might just be unlucky , when you say smooth , do you mean that no , or tiny scraches are visable , and not deep ones , if so , i think it was defective from day 1
Untamed
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Untamed »

I mean smooth from the polishing crap. I can see vertical scratches all around the CD from the polishing compund too. I don't see many of the original scratches that were there when I purchased it.

I wonder, is there a way to tell if mine is a defective version?

EDIT: UH-OH!

SHIT! I tried to polish it one more time and... now it's having trouble booting and reading the CD.
:|
Segata Sanshiro
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Segata Sanshiro »

Look at the GD with a strong light source behind it (like the sun:) and see if there are ver small holes where the light comes from, if that's the case there is no point in polishing it anymore, the GD cant be fixed, my US Soul Calibur has this and i had to buy the japanese.
On the othere hand you can go try the GD on another DC to see if the problem is the same.

Or you can allways try the toothpaste method, i fixed my Resident Evil veronica that way.
Untamed
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Untamed »

Yeah, I know about that. Scratches on top = death. There is one VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY small point, and that I highly doubt will cause the issues I'm having.

Now.. Toothpaste method? Care to elaborate?
molotovwars
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by molotovwars »

there is also a method in which you boil the cd, i believe the reasoning was that the gd-roms had a thick layer on the bottom, and if you boil it, it takes some of that off, and can remove scratches that might be on the layer.

I have tried it and it has improved my cds. oh and boil with the data side up and for only 15 - 30 seconds depending on scratches.

Even if your cd is shot you'll have everything that you'll ever need to fix a cd.
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

Toothpaste method is where you take the cd make a ring of the paste on the non-labeled side. You press it in firmly verticle and then wash it off.