Chankast command line

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
garrofi
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Chankast command line

Post by garrofi »

Hi, I am garrofi, one of the chankast author.

I think I am not very popular right now :)

You can use -file:filename.bin or -file:data.iso to load an application. I use it to test kos examples in chankast.

Starsdemo.iso works and a lot of kos examples. I would like to improve net-bsd compatibility, but after reading some comentaries about us, I don't feel like doing it.

btw, I don't have emulated #trap opcode and a lot of homebrew apps use it.

Garrofi
q_006
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by q_006 »

i like you!
and appreciate your hard work.
but yeah, people don't like to see their beloved DC being raped anymore than it already has.

i guess if you could disable (or remove altogether) the ability to play commercial isos (for right now) and get it running homebrew (TA, PVR, framebuffer, SDL, etc) apps and games properly and flawlessly :D then people wouldn't be as ......not nice, as they seem to be now.

just a thought. but keep up the good work :!:
visionaries are always the first to feel the wrath of criticism..... (copyright 2004, q_006)
SchmuckofNI
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by SchmuckofNI »

Unlike other ungrateful people on this board, I think what you guys did with this emulator is revolutionary! I just can't wait for a next release! Thank you again for all your hard work!
Heliophobe
Smeg Creator
Smeg Creator

Re: Chankast command line

Post by Heliophobe »

garrofi wrote:Hi, I am garrofi, one of the chankast author.

I think I am not very popular right now :)

You can use -file:filename.bin or -file:data.iso to load an application. I use it to test kos examples in chankast.
Great! I wanted to test a few things myself but making discs for each one was a lot of trouble.

I don't suppose there's a sh4 debugger hidden in there, is there? I'd love to be able to single-step my assembly code.
Starsdemo.iso works and a lot of kos examples. I would like to improve net-bsd compatibility, but after reading some comentaries about us, I don't feel like doing it.
Commentaries from the NetBSD scene, you mean? Or here?

There was some understandable negative reaction to Chankast's release on this board, but please don't take it personally. I understand the concern myself, but that doesn't mean Chankast isn't an amazing piece of work. The critics are just motivated by their love of the Dreamcast, and you can't fault them for that, can you?

I'm a big fan of the wireframe button, by the way -- I like seeing how special effects break down into polygons, seeing 'the man behind the curtain' so to speak.
speud
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by speud »

personnally i have nothing against chakast authors, i just was disapointed to see the way it loaded games as well as some screenshots and videos were promoting warez, but i didnt mean to attack you.

i know it required a lot of work, and probably your intentions were good, so its even more sad to see the result.

but hopefully with the ability to load some homebrews and the forums rules being modified more positive things will come from this emu.
http://blueswirl.fr.st - DC Online Tools and Downloads

thx to Wack0 for the avatar ;)
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Re: Chankast command line

Post by MetaFox »

garrofi wrote:But after reading some comentaries about us, I don't feel like doing it.
Some of the comments did get a little too heated, and turned more like flames against the emulator, but their heart was in the right place. People were upset that the emulator has poor support for homebrew, and support for only CD rips of GD-ROM games. I can't speak for the others, but my comments about the emulator weren't meant as an attack on you (I've even said that I'm impressed with the technical aspects of the emulator, and that when the emulator supports more homebrew, I'll be impressed with the emulator itself), but just a genuine concern about piracy (and it is genuine - more topics have had to be locked here and at DCEmu.co.uk than before Chanka came out due to piracy).

Wraggster's told me that you guys are working on supporting more homebrew in the future, so piracy won't be the only option, and hopefully the ChooDO guys will still work on their firmware updates to popular DVD drive models to support GD-ROMs. Once these issues are addressed, no one can have any valid arguments about the emulator any longer.

I'm looking forward to your next release, because I see that it has the potential to be a great tool for easing development for the Sega Dreamcast, and maybe might even entice some new coders to join the fold.
WRAGGSTER
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster

Post by WRAGGSTER »

The true fans of the emu scene support your great work Garrofi :)
Webmaster of DCEmu

The Homebrew and Gaming Network Covering All Consoles.
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

This is sad, I told you guys all along not to attack people without knowing them or not but you didn't care. I tried to defend the makers of chankast and not to judge them but several people attacked me when trying to do that.
Last edited by law56ker on Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
farrell2k
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by farrell2k »

People here don't seem to realize that if you want the dc emulated, you have no other way to play games than by using rips. People around here are just strange. They whine about VBA and the DC emus playing commercial games, but couldn't care less about genesis and snes... Don't listen to a few weirdos.
speud
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by speud »

err, this is turning in a debate about the morality of this emulator again, and a flame war against those who expressed their opinions with good arguments. if you have nothing interesting to add to this topic you should just leave it as it is.
http://blueswirl.fr.st - DC Online Tools and Downloads

thx to Wack0 for the avatar ;)
WRAGGSTER
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster

Post by WRAGGSTER »

A warning to all, keep on topic or face whatever punishment :twisted:
Webmaster of DCEmu

The Homebrew and Gaming Network Covering All Consoles.
Vorrtexx
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Vorrtexx »

Thanks for the info garrofi.
Will make testing quicker, rather than having to burn HB to CD and test.
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

Law56ker and Farrel2k - you are stretching you're welcome here pretty thin. The issue is over, you are beating a dead horse, and all you are doing is fanning the flames to get the argument started again. If you keep it up, I WILL suggest for you to be banned.
q_006
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by q_006 »

i'm curious.... Capcom needs a special version of Chankast. why is that?
did they have their own custom DC or something? didn't they use Katana like everyone else?

has anyone tried the homebrew burning techique on that emu site?
Gav-X
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Gav-X »

Garrofi, no te preocupes por los comentarios negativos que hace la gente de ?ste foro. Como Heliophobe dice, algunas personas de aqu? merecen el beneficio de la duda y puedes asumir que sus comentarios est?n motivados por lo mucho que les gusta la Dreamcast. Y si hay algunos que simplemente act?an como idiotas, recuerda que much?simas personas m?s aprecian Chankast como la incre?ble proeza para la escena de la emulaci?n que es. Sigan con el excelente trabajo que han hecho hasta ahora :).

Translation for non-spanish people:

Garrofi, don't worry about the negative comments made by the people from this forum. As Heliophobe says, some guys around here deserve the benefit of the doubt and you can assume that their comments are motivated by how much they like the Dreamcast. And if there are some that just act like idiots, remember that many more people appreciate Chankast as the incredible feat for the emulation scene it is. Keep up the excellent work you've done so far :).
Vorrtexx
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Vorrtexx »

q_006 wrote:i'm curious.... Capcom needs a special version of Chankast. why is that?
did they have their own custom DC or something? didn't they use Katana like everyone else?

has anyone tried the homebrew burning techique on that emu site?
If I'm correct it was just a way to selfboot non-selfboot homebrew, which could of been done anyway.

but with the info from garrofi the bin files can be loaded through command line. or the non-selfboot stuff can be used to create a iso file and load that from the command line also.
The OK Pope
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by The OK Pope »

WRAGGSTER wrote:The true fans of the emu scene support your great work Garrofi :)
Well said, and so true. :)
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

garrofi - Do the ISO images need to be set out in any particular way? Will a simple ISO image of the files be enough, or does it need (for example) to be equivalent to the second session of an Audio/Data CD, including IP.BIN, scrambled 1ST_READ.BIN and all that?
Mikey242
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Mikey242 »

BlackAura wrote:garrofi - Do the ISO images need to be set out in any particular way? Will a simple ISO image of the files be enough, or does it need (for example) to be equivalent to the second session of an Audio/Data CD, including IP.BIN, scrambled 1ST_READ.BIN and all that?
I was wondering about this aswell. I was assuming the latter but you never know. Well done on your hard work garrofi :thumbsup:

When do you think the english tutorial will be online? Thanks.
Vorrtexx
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Vorrtexx »

BlackAura: Putting an unscrambled bin file into an ISO file done it for me. Make sure you rename the unscrambled bin file to 1st_read.bin though.

This method worked for me with Revolver anyway. It's actually fully playable if I use it through an ISO file. some minor gfx glitches.