Your thoughts on the new G4TechTV channel.

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
compacho
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Your thoughts on the new G4TechTV channel.

Post by compacho »

Ok, I tried to give it chance. Several days worth in fact. But, it's really, really bad. How bad exactly? Really bad. As a loyal TechTV viewer I am sad that it ended but nothing lasts forever though. But still, techtv had SOOO MUCH potential to one day compete with the "big boy" channels.

First off the shows. What can I say. They are really boring and poorly produced. Yeah techtv had bad shows too but they at least tried to make it interesting and put effort forth too. Have you seen that show that shows two teams going at it deathmatch style? I think its arena, not sure. The idea is really great but its sooooooo poorly executed.

G4 tries to come off as being a scifi futuristic gaming channel but instead it just looks pathetic and cheap.TechTV had a set that had a home like comfortable feel to it. That made a computer show easier to watch for a novice.

And what about the hosts? G4 hosts are very boring and have no personality. I bet none of them have a wide range of gaming knowledge. Plus their TV personalities are so fake. One of the beauties of TechTV was that their hosts were genuine and real even when reading off a card. You could tell they were being themselves and that made viewers feel closer to them.

Finally, they practically did away with Leo Laporte by cancelling Call For Help. That definately has to be one of the dumbest moves they'll ever make. Leo Laporte is TechTV! He made techtv to what it is today (or was).

Man, I remember when G4 was first announced a while back and I was jealous of the people actually getting the channel. "It would be so cool to have a 24 hour gaming channel", I said to myself. What could be better than that? Oh wait, actually playing video games. Now I wish a new Tech channel to one day appear but I guess it won't happen for a while. I only hope G4 could hire much of TechTV's production staff so every show won't look so bad.

TechTV's ship went down way too early! What you guys think of the new channel? Please, only intelligent comments.
Egotistical EvilN
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Egotistical EvilN »

Bring back call for help and some of techtv's better shows (like inventis this).

aside from that, i like it..
Maximo2703
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Maximo2703 »

they better not get rid of Xplay....i thought from what i seen the other day they still have the orginal programming cause i seen Call For Help the other day. Leo is pretty kewl but i can't stand the guys who run Screen Savers they seem like smart asses...i dont see the purpose of Unscrewed on a Tech channel but its alright. Unscrewed would fit better to me on Comedy Central. but ill be fine if they dont take off Xplay....Morgans hot! :mrgreen: |/| hehehehe
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

G4 totally sucks, shows where you watch people play games, another show where they have an entire half hour on push button codes for a video game!!!! And another one where you have to watch hollywood stars that don't know how to play games pretend like they play them. And most of these shows are constant repeats already. Call for help was cool Leo was cool. I'd rather watch robot wars or even thunderbirds then half the crap that is on techtv/g4 now. It was one of my favorite channels and why I got cable, now it's ruined.
OldSkoolGamer
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by OldSkoolGamer »

law56ker wrote:And another one where you have to watch hollywood stars that don't know how to play games pretend like they play them.
:lol:

And all of them have the same line: "I'm a real big gamer. I love the old school games."

Then they bring out their stack of PS2/XBox/Gamecube games...
Rand Linden
bleemcast! Creator
bleemcast! Creator

Post by Rand Linden »

Over a year ago, TechTV used to be awesome.

It all went downhill about the time they ran that lame talking doll show... now it seems that TechTV is filled with endless robot shows, frequent commercials, and other crap that barely falls under the "tech" category.

And, while they're certainly of high production quality, those Microsoft infomercials aren't what I'd consider "worthy" of TV time... although they're definitely much better than most of the tripe that's otherwise on TechTV.

All the shows I liked (Screen Savers, Call for Help, Extended Play, etc.) are never on when I flip channels -- or if I do happen to catch one, it's usually a repeat of a show from a couple weeks ago.

And, it's not like XPlay is a real gem anymore, either -- the whine-to-content ratio seems to have gone beyond the tolerance of anyone older than about nine.

Rand.
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

At least they showed Max Headroom a couple years ago. I think the channel was best when it was ZDTV.
navi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by navi »

EvilN wrote:Bring back call for help and some of techtv's better shows (like inventis this).

aside from that, i like it..
Ditto, and get rid of Unscrewed i don't think that show has ever been funny :?
AmadeusZull
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by AmadeusZull »

wait tech tv is now g4?

i saw a lil of the sneak peak and i found it to be horrible.

bad move by tech tv.

---------------
UPDATE

jeezus what is tech tv thinking.

I am no longer an ACE@ite. Never will I kiss his feet is what I don't. And that I don't, is good I do.
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

Post by jaredfogle »

TechTV used to rock. Now it doesn't. G4 never rocked. And it still doesn't.
Where's toastman? I'm bored.
compacho
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by compacho »

AmadeusZull wrote:wait tech tv is now g4?

i saw a lil of the sneak peak and i found it to be horrible.

bad move by tech tv.

---------------
UPDATE

jeezus what is tech tv thinking.
Umm, you're wrong. It wasn't TechTV's choice. They got bought up. There's no way TechTV would choose to merge with a crappy ass channel like G4.
Digital Chaos
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Digital Chaos »

The only good thing on g4 was this one show all about the dreamcast, it was just 1 episode but aside from that episode the show and channel sucks.

I think g4 thought that if they bought a popular tech channel, then they would become popular. What the failed to do was understand that if they killed everything that made the last channel popular it wont BLAH... I give up.
perry
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy

Post by perry »

At least you's had a channel worth watching to begin with! We got Game Network and half an hour cybernet on at something like 3am. Cybernet just reviewed Halo like a few months ago so...
In the words of Q-Tip : Looking for vibes or positivity, not negativity / 'Cause we gotta strive for longevity by online gaming
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

perry wrote:Cybernet just reviewed Halo like a few months ago so...
Is it any good?
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Enki-14
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Enki-14 »

So far, I'm trying real hard to adjust to the new channel. But now, all I see are reruns of G4 stuff. Which is sad, considering the channels have been merged for only 4 days (counting today). I haven't caught an ep of screensavers yet, but I hope it still stays on. I am really saddened by leo laporte not being on tv anymore or call for help. I watched the show religiously. I have learned a great deal of computer knowledge by watching those 2 shows. A big plus was seeing cat, and the fact that call for help always had a free file for the day. I guess I'm saying what everyone is already has. We loved techtv. G4 is not cool, nor informative. I stopped giving games a 1-10 rating when I stopped reading EGM, (which used to kick ass) and starting playing demos. The only 2 things I like about the merger is the kinda ok graphic for the channel, which is at best,. ok.. and the fact I learned tia carrera plays unreal tournament. Other than that, G4 can have its old customers back. I'd rather watch hardware reviews and laugh at how many times leo plugs his book, and how many times pat counts it. :roll:
Neopunk
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by Neopunk »

eh, I liked the old G4 better. Now they just have crap loads of other stuff instead of an all game channel. I want the old G4 and the old TechTV back, cuz now that channel just sucks :evil:
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

perry wrote:At least you's had a channel worth watching to begin with! We got Game Network and half an hour cybernet on at something like 3am. Cybernet just reviewed Halo like a few months ago so...
The first day or two Game Network was on air it was actually almost watchable; They had minimal ads and there was some reasonable live content. Nowadays they rely on what, those stupid 50p-per-move text-in "games" and text chat / games tips with some chubby geek dude?

Still annoyed at Sky for cancelling [.tv] :|
MystiK
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by MystiK »

Umm, you're wrong. It wasn't TechTV's choice. They got bought up. There's no way TechTV would choose to merge with a crappy ass channel like G4.
exactly, that's why its G4TechTV and not vice versa.
i'm really disappointed about the whole thing. G4 is the most useless channel on TV besides lifetime. ''TV for gamers?'' WTF? wouldnt gamers be GAMING? It's absolutely stupid.
anyway :

1.yes it seems leo has been forced to retire, the vet from since they were ZDTV.
2.the G4 hosts ALL suck, they don't look like gamers or even computer literate
3.their shows are stupid and one-liners as if they think gamers are stupid and have a short attention span.
4. They better not touch XPlay (morgan webb is beautiful) and unscrewed (i can stare at laura swisher all day)
5.screensavers all well, i dont have a problem with the hosts.
6.the whole thing sucks basically
French Connection United Kingdom should be renamed to French Union Connection Klothing
Enki-14
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Enki-14 »

MystiK wrote:
exactly, that's why its G4TechTV and not vice versa.
i'm really disappointed about the whole thing. G4 is the most useless channel on TV besides lifetime. ''TV for gamers?'' WTF? wouldnt gamers be GAMING? It's absolutely stupid.
anyway :

1.yes it seems leo has been forced to retire, the vet from since they were ZDTV.
2.the G4 hosts ALL suck, they don't look like gamers or even computer literate
3.their shows are stupid and one-liners as if they think gamers are stupid and have a short attention span.
4. They better not touch XPlay (morgan webb is beautiful) and unscrewed (i can stare at laura swisher all day)
5.screensavers all well, i dont have a problem with the hosts.
6.the whole thing sucks basically
ditto. I'll be getting my leo fix now, by listening to his radio show streams or downloads. I was at his site earlier and got links to the radio station and was looking at some ways to listen to it. http://www.kfi640.com/interactive/streaming.html uses it own player . you have to click the link. in mozilla at least. but a thought.. whats gonna happen to Roger on call for help? he kicked ass too. Hope he's got a new /good job..
DLM
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by DLM »

Now that leo's gone, the only host that was there from the beginning is Adam Sessler.
And I agree with Rand about XPlay, they try to play out the differences between Adam and Morgan, but it justs ended up making Adam looking like a whiny little brat, and Morgan like an uber bitch. Bah. Extended Play was so much cooler, when it was just Adam. The one on ZDNET was cool too, with Adam and Kate.

Game over...