Problems with dc-tool serial

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
gaara of the desert
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Problems with dc-tool serial

Post by gaara of the desert »

I have just yesterday recived my serial cable for my DC, so now I intend to start programming. I have set everything up on my mandrake PC except for dc-tool.

I can't get the boot loader to burn onto a CD-R for the DC. I have got a CD with the first session of 4 seconds of silence. I have downloaded the tool from here and have tried to follow the instructions on how to burn the cd but they are generic and I dont know what to do with the one file inside the archive, IP.BIN.

I have also tried to use the NERO image of the disc that I have found on the net using my Win 98 PC, but EVERY TIME it fails and I end up wasting a CD-R. I have wasted about 5 now, so I REALLY need help.

What do I do with this IP.BIN and how do I get it on the CD?

Thanks

Rich
greay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by greay »

Ahh, you've got the DC Serial Slave - that's not what you want. You want dcload for dc-tool. (it comes with dc-tool) Go here. If I recall, getting it set up should be pretty straightforward.

BTW, I had trouble with the serial slave, too. What's going on is that the whole program is contained in the IP.BIN, so you don't need the rest. To burn it to CD, you basically follow the regular method, but you can use anything you want as the "1ST_READ.BIN" - I used the README that came with it.
I'm a lone wolf looking for trouble.
gaara of the desert
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by gaara of the desert »

I have tried that thanks, but I have ended up wasting another 2 CD-Rs. I used the dcload link you gave me and used Marcus' "bootable CD-R" tutorial but it just keeps on jumping onto the music player every time I insert it.

Any ideas?

Rich

Ps. Thats a total of duff CD-Rs of 7 now )()(
greay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by greay »

Code: Select all

sh-elf-objcopy -O binary -R .stack foo.elf foo.BIN

scramble foo.BIN 1ST_READ.BIN

dd if=/dev/zero bs=2352 count=300 of=audio.raw

cdrecord dev=somedevice -multi -audio audio.raw

# this command returns the x,y for the following mkisofs
SESSION="`cdrecord dev= somedevice -msinfo`"

mkisofs -l -C $SESSION -o tmp.iso 1ST_READ.BIN

(cat $IP ; dd if=tmp.iso bs=2048 skip=16) > data.raw

cdrecord dev= somedevice -multi -xa1 data.raw
Actually, if you have everything built, cd to dcload-1.0.3/make-cd. The makefile in there should burn the CD for you - just go through & make sure the device is right.

It's hard to guess where things are going wrong... Make sure you're making the binary correctly, and scrambling it... Make sure you have the right #s for the session data...

Which version of binutils do you have? If it's a more recent version, you have to add -R .stack to the arguments for objcopy.

Good luck!
I'm a lone wolf looking for trouble.