That Megadrive TV Game Sega announced at E3...

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Hobbes T Tiger
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

That Megadrive TV Game Sega announced at E3...

Post by Hobbes T Tiger »

I can't actually find anything about it at the mo, but yesterday on C4 teletext, Game Central said Sega had announced this.

At ?30 and with what sounded like 6 Smash Pack games on it I wasn't too impressed.

Anyone else know about it, I don't see anything on here...?
Hobbes T Tiger
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Hobbes T Tiger »

http://www.jeux-france.com/news4593.html

There. It's in French, but it's pretty blimmin obvious what it's saying.

Did I finally manage to break some news, or am I silly or something? :wink:
Sega of Japan wrote:Offline - No confusion! No Boring! No Silence!
Online - No Loneliness! No Typing!
aisupikku
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by aisupikku »

Hmm... that's interesting! It would be sort of big news if Sega had announced it, but, I'm planning on buying one, anyway. $30 is not too bad! :)

Thanks for the tip, it was news to me...

http://ir.thomsonfn.com/InvestorRelatio ... yId=107364

http://general.gamerfeed.com/gf/news/5483
« ˆˆ -ˆ-ˆ ˆ » [ Let's help! Trizeal DC ]
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

That's pretty cool! I'd buy it.
The OK Pope
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by The OK Pope »

These types of things seem to be catching on lately; there's also an Atari one already out. But for the price of it, you can buy a DC and emulate all the Atari games.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

The OK Pope wrote:These types of things seem to be catching on lately; there's also an Atari one already out. But for the price of it, you can buy a DC and emulate all the Atari games.
That may be true, but it's just the coolness of using the original joystick. Gimmicky? Sure, but cool nonetheless. I plan to pick up the Genesis one just because it would make for a great travel game. Going home to stay with my parents for the weekend? Just grab my Genesis controller and have a weekend worth of classic gaming. It's much easier than unhooking and then packing an entire console, all the cables, a controller, and a couple of games (although the handle on the Gamecube is very useful for such a purpose).
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

An unofficial one of these already exists, but it's crap, and looks more like a Dreamcast controller. And more expensive.

Whilst this is a pretty good deal as it is, I'm wondering if it will be possible to add a cartirdge slot, as with all those knock-off NES ones out there, for making a portable. Or perhaps it isn't even a Mega Drive in there.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
molotovwars
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by molotovwars »

Radica exposes at the time of E3 an accessory ' revival' which will make some dream more one. Thanks to this ' console-manette' directly branchable on the television screen, you will be able to test yourselves with 7 complete Megadrive plays, of which sizes like Sonic or Altered Beast with authentic a pad Megadrive licenc? by Sega.

Small precision sympathetic nerve: this auxiliary console at low prices will be also distributed in Europe to the end of the year.

Just the quick translation for anyone viewing.
Storminator16
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Storminator16 »

Skynet wrote:
CoasterKing
Gone Postal...
Gone Postal...

Post by CoasterKing »

A better selection of games would be nice but it's still pretty cool.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Hang on a minute.

Only a few years ago Majesco were making Genesis 3 machines for as little as $20US brand new. Wouldn't it be a lot better to simply start making these again, and then just make a few different compilation cartridges? They could keep the price about the same, maybe a bit more - but if it means more than just those games supported, then it would be worth it.

Better yet, they could re-relaese the Nomad :).
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
DeGamer
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DeGamer »

az_bont wrote: Better yet, they could re-relaese the Nomad :).
That would kick ass. I like the fact you can hook up a Nomad to a TV (If you want) and connect another controller to it. Maybe they should redo the Nomad, maybe one that eats and uses less batteries.
aisupikku
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by aisupikku »

CoasterKing wrote:A better selection of games would be nice but it's still pretty cool.
Have you seen the official game list? Tell us tell us!! :D
az_bont wrote:Hang on a minute.
I think that the everyday mall shoppers are simply attracted to the all-in-one, "turn it on and play" aspect of these devices... Not to again mention their portability, as melancholy has mentioned.

I agree that an updated Nomad would be cool -- If they designed it well enough, it would pretty much be a direct competitor for the GBA! That would never happen, but, it would be neat if they developed a new smaller cartridge format (with an adapter for "backpack" original Megadrive games), and tackled the low-end handheld sector. Not that I think that they should...
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

aisupikku wrote:
az_bont wrote:Hang on a minute.
I think that the everyday mall shoppers are simply attracted to the all-in-one, "turn it on and play" aspect of these devices... Not to again mention their portability, as melancholy has mentioned.
If it came bundled with a cartridge containing all the games that are meant for this device, it could still retain the "all-in-one" aspect.

And have you seen the size of a Genesis 3? They're piddly! :P

aisupikku
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by aisupikku »

az_bont wrote:If it came bundled with a cartridge containing all the games that are meant for this device, it could still retain the "all-in-one" aspect.

And have you seen the size of a Genesis 3? They're piddly! :P
But... This one is going to be the size of a controller, right? I think that the Genesis 3 is slightly smaller than the Dreamcast... I purchased one through eBay a couple of years ago, but, re-sold it since I heard that a few games were known not to work properly on it, and because I couldn't figure out how to get my 32X to work with it (which was my primary reason for purchasing).

This device sounds as though it will be even smaller and less "involved" -- Something as trivial as inserting a cartridge is something that I could imagine as being "too much" for certain people... It's very silly, I know, but, that is how it is! :lol:
Hobbes T Tiger
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Hobbes T Tiger »

DeGamer said:
maybe one that eats and uses less batteries.
Lol :lol: eats what exactly?

Anyway, I'm glad it does exist! I can't credit how low key this announcement seems to have been.
This is what the people want to hear Sega!

Incidentally, I got my Megadrive (Genesis) out of storage on Friday and set it up in the bedroom. Much fun ensued :D
I'm planning to go into Gamestation and buy up a stock of cartridges.

And I think I remember reading about the Genesis 3, but I'd forgot it even existed. I'll need to find a link to look at one now...
http://www.vidgame.net/SEGA/GEN3.html

That's interesting. It says Majesto planned to re-release the Saturn and already had done re-releases for other 8 and 16 bit systems...
Maybe Sega should let them, or someone else, re-release the Dreamcast?
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Did Majesco stop making the Genesis 3? They were still making them near the beginning of 2003, if I remember right.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
aisupikku
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by aisupikku »

Hobbes T Tiger wrote:DeGamer said:
maybe one that eats and uses less batteries.
Lol :lol: eats what exactly?
:lol: I would not have interpreted it that way if you had not mentioned it...
Hobbes T Tiger wrote:That's interesting. It says Majesto planned to re-release the Saturn and already had done re-releases for other 8 and 16 bit systems...
Maybe Sega should let them, or someone else, re-release the Dreamcast?
:o That would be very neat, for the Saturn or the Dreamcast equally! I would buy a Majesco Dreamcast for each of my relatives' households, so that I could play whenever I go to visit... and so that they could experience the fine games, of course. 8-)

A Sega CDX-style Sega Saturn would be cool, as well... Imagining a portable CD player that controllers could be plugged into... Then again, it would be larger in size if they included the cartridge slot; about the same as the CDX.

Unfortunately, it seems that Majesco Sales is now Magesco Games, and they are focusing their energies as a developer and publisher... Not to mention that an M. Dreamcast would likely be more work than it would be worth, financially.
Majesco Games- Company Profile wrote:Although we began our business primarily as a seller of overstock or republished ?value? videogames, we have shifted our focus and product mix increasingly toward proprietary multi-platform video games and related products.
That most likely regards production of the Genesis 3 as well, but, I may be incorrect... "The beginning of 2003" sounds familiar, though.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

aisupikku wrote:
az_bont wrote:And have you seen the size of a Genesis 3? They're piddly! :P
But... This one is going to be the size of a controller, right?
Well, no actually, as far as I can tell. From the picture I saw, the controller goes into a box which looks about the size of a Genesis 3. Only without a cartridge slot.

And if people don't like cartridges, how about a compromise? Assuming this thing uses actual Genesis hardware, which I'm pretty confident it will, why not have a cartridge slot but have a selection of in-built games? It worked for the Master System, and would probably add, ooh... a dollar maximum to production costs?

That way, Sega would not only be able to entice newcomers to the device, but also seasoned veterans looking for a replacement console - or perhaps those that missed out on the Genesis the first time around because of their commitment to other consoles/computers, like the SNES or Amiga or whatever.

I always thought Majesco were British, though - I still see their Majesco Sales adverts in all the games magazines over here, usually for obscure out-of-date consoles at a ridiculous price.