MDCNG getting left in the dust?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
ethoscapade
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

MDCNG getting left in the dust?

Post by ethoscapade »

i was just wondering, with all the great news on the NeoCD front lately, how come nobody ever talks about MDCNG? is it that much slower, or just (as i've noticed) horrifyingly complicated?

i still haven't tried it, because i've got a bit of a phobia when it comes to wasting CD-R's and i'm not 100% sure i'm writing those config files correctly.

however, i am very curious about it and eager to see exactly how much slower than NeoCD it is, both because i dream of welding my DC lid shut someday (which would seriously limit NeoCD/SDL's functionality :D ), and because i really must hear "HeavyMACHINEGun" just once on my dreamcast.

no offense to quzar and ian of course; they're amazing, but...does anybody have any experience with MDCNG?
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

AFAIK, MDCNG runs NeoGeo games, and NeoCD runs NeoGeo CD games. They are two different systems. It's kind of like the difference between Sega Genesis and SegaCD.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

It can only run games of about 4.5 meg Only way to player larger games was a cd system.
Dreamcast forever!!!
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

curt_grymala wrote:AFAIK, MDCNG runs NeoGeo games, and NeoCD runs NeoGeo CD games. They are two different systems. It's kind of like the difference between Sega Genesis and SegaCD.
Not really, because most Neogeo CD games were slightly dumbed down versions of NeoGeo games with CD audio added. I think there were only 2 games released for NGCD that were not on the AES or MVS. Ill look into it, but have never seen sources for MDCNG.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

quzar wrote:
curt_grymala wrote:AFAIK, MDCNG runs NeoGeo games, and NeoCD runs NeoGeo CD games. They are two different systems. It's kind of like the difference between Sega Genesis and SegaCD.
Not really, because most Neogeo CD games were slightly dumbed down versions of NeoGeo games with CD audio added. I think there were only 2 games released for NGCD that were not on the AES or MVS. Ill look into it, but have never seen sources for MDCNG.
Heh, actually that was a perfect comparison because most SegaCD games were slightly dumbed down versions of Genesis games with CD audio added. ;)
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

I have a question. When Neo Geo made the CD Games, did they wr-write them for CD, or did they find a way to break up the sections of the Roms to different tracks so that only certain things would load? (IE when the game wants fighter A VS Fighter B with background C, did the system looks those up, and load only those to memory?)
ethoscapade
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ethoscapade »

i know the neo geo and the neoCD are different systems; i also know (prepares to get modded) neo geo games are a good deal easier to find in a form that can be...placed onto a CD, let's say.

also, what do you mean about it only being able to run games of 4.5 megs? (ignore this if you are referring to the Neo itself and not the emulator) i certainly couldn't confirm this, because i've never used it, but there's definitely some code in that emulator that mentions to metal slug (&2), and every rom i've ever seen of those games is between 10-20 megs, zipped.

and on the topic of the sega genesis vs. the sega CD - you make a good point, metafox, the sega CD was all but worthless :D

...however, digital chaos (who, FYI, i willingly gave my sega CD to in exchange for a DC A/V passthrough mod) will come in here shouting if i don't defend the Lunar games. i've never played them, maybe they're good, i don't know, but they were only available on the sega CD for five years.

and, uh, getting back to my original question - has ANYBODY used this emu? preferably, with metal slug?
Heliophobe
Smeg Creator
Smeg Creator

Post by Heliophobe »

have a question. When Neo Geo made the CD Games, did they wr-write them for CD, or did they find a way to break up the sections of the Roms to different tracks so that only certain things would load? (IE when the game wants fighter A VS Fighter B with background C, did the system looks those up, and load only those to memory?)
They would have rewritten them using the original resource files that were used to build the roms. It's a lot easier top split that up when you've got the original source files and, in most cases, the original programmers available to split up the games.

also, what do you mean about it only being able to run games of 4.5 megs? (ignore this if you are referring to the Neo itself and not the emulator) i certainly couldn't confirm this, because i've never used it, but there's definitely some code in that emulator that mentions to metal slug (&2), and every rom i've ever seen of those games is between 10-20 megs, zipped.
Do you mean source code referring to Metal Slug games? As far as I know both of the Neo Geo emulators were derived from the MAME Neo Geo drivers (The Neo Geo CD emulator that the Dreamcast port was based on having been derived from mame's drivers), so there will be comments in the source code referring to games that can't be run on the DC because they can be run on a PC.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Orange_Ribbon wrote:I have a question. When Neo Geo made the CD Games, did they wr-write them for CD, or did they find a way to break up the sections of the Roms to different tracks so that only certain things would load? (IE when the game wants fighter A VS Fighter B with background C, did the system looks those up, and load only those to memory?)
One NeoGeo forums i have seen people talk about how there are ways to convert some NeoGeo roms into CD games. But it involves tools made through illegal processes or something.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

Ahhh so there is a way then...but like all good things it is a no no. Well that is why it sometimes stinks walking the straight and narrow. I was hopping it would open the door to a lot of great classics.
ethoscapade
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ethoscapade »

Do you mean source code referring to Metal Slug games? As far as I know both of the Neo Geo emulators were derived from the MAME Neo Geo drivers (The Neo Geo CD emulator that the Dreamcast port was based on having been derived from mame's drivers), so there will be comments in the source code referring to games that can't be run on the DC because they can be run on a PC.
@#$%. that makes perfect sense. of course the dreamcast can't load a 14 meg rom into its RAM and still be able to actually process things. can't believe it took me this long to realize it.

oh, well. there go my hopes - for the 2315th time, good luck, quzar and ian!
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

It's a shame that it has 27 megs total but can only load 4 meg roms :\
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

MetaFox wrote:Heh, actually that was a perfect comparison because most SegaCD games were slightly dumbed down versions of Genesis games with CD audio added. ;)
It wasn't a perfect comparison, it was an good oversimplified comparison. Sega CD added a good amount of extra hardware, whereas NeoGeo CD added what? CDs and RAM, anything else? Also, please list all Genesis games that saw dumbed down Sega CD versions with CD audio. Most Sega CD games were in reality interactive motion video garbage. Thankfully, there were a good number of gems for the system that didn't fit that description.
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Yea, i was gonna respond to that but i just figured he was kidding. if not then that is a really bad description.
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

quzar wrote:
Alexvrb wrote:
MetaFox wrote:Heh, actually that was a perfect comparison because most SegaCD games were slightly dumbed down versions of Genesis games with CD audio added. ;)
It wasn't a perfect comparison, it was an good oversimplified comparison. Sega CD added a good amount of extra hardware, whereas NeoGeo CD added what? CDs and RAM, anything else?
Yea, i was gonna respond to that but i just figured he was kidding. if not then that is a really bad description.
I actually was kidding, but I decided to look it up, and it turns out it is true.

Sure, it had extra hardware - but hardly any companies - even Sega themselves ever used it. Hence why most of the games are just their genesis counterparts, or worse (and sometimes better), with CD audio.
Alexvrb wrote:Most Sega CD games were in reality interactive motion video garbage.
This isn't actually true. There were a lot of these types of games - but the bulk of the system's games were indeed ports from existing Genesis games, as they were cheap for the developers to produce.
Alexvrb wrote:Also, please list all Genesis games that saw dumbed down Sega CD versions with CD audio.
There are quite a few:

3 Ninjas Strike Back, Hook, Mortal Kombat, Samurai Showdown, Batman Returns, Ecco the Dolphin, Ecco: The Tides of Time, NBA Jam, NHL '94, Prince of Persia, Adventures of Batman & Robin, Amazing Spider-Man vs. The Kingpin, Battlecorps, Bill Walsh Football, Brutal: Paws of Fury, Chuck Rock, Chuck Rock 2, Cliffhanger, Demolition Man, Dune, Earthworm Jim, Eternal Champions, FIFA Soccer, Flashback.
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

At least the system saw some great games like Lunar 1/2 and Popfull Mail. I wish there was more more hope for Neo Geo emulation on DC. But in all fairness you need a 400Mhz PC and 64 Plus MB of ram to run the best emulators. Let us lower our mud clumps of war, and raise our mud clumps of peace. (if you get the reference you will be winked at.)
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

NeroRageX?

BTW: Ecco 1&2 without CDDA - who wants to play that? :wink:
Insane homebrew collector.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

I don't remember the games being dumbed-down. Granted, the only game I've played available on both the Mega CD and Mega Drive is Earthworm Jim, but you list that as being dumbed-down. What was missing?
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Orange_Ribbon wrote:At least the system saw some great games like Lunar 1/2 and Popfull Mail. I wish there was more more hope for Neo Geo emulation on DC. But in all fairness you need a 400Mhz PC and 64 Plus MB of ram to run the best emulators. Let us lower our mud clumps of war, and raise our mud clumps of peace. (if you get the reference you will be winked at.)
Have you tryed Metal slug on V6.5

Were at 90% speed with cdda Lot of other games are fullspeed now.
Hmm What's U talking about? more hope of this then many other things.

Emulator right now is very good matches and is some what faster on some games then the pc version running on a 850mhz amd Which i have and test side by side.

Dont get your statement neogeo emulation via the cd system is very good right now.
Dreamcast forever!!!
Mikey242
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Mikey242 »

Well done on what you have done so far Ian. Because of your progress I will probably go onto ebay and buy a few NeoGeoCD games. :D