Whats in store for NesterDC

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
FarSight
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by FarSight »

NesterDC has got to been nearing completion now It's pritty mch just like playing a real NES and in some ways better. Could it's development come to an emd. And does anyone know how Smegs development is going.
Holly Hasney
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Holly Hasney »

SMEG only really needs VMU and better sound at it's as good as perfect...

Nester needs more mapper support and speed upgrades :)
El Cactuar
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

The Genie

Post by El Cactuar »

No Game Genie support yet. I could see that as a next step.

But yeah, it's rockin' as it is. Not much left that could make it any better!
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

More speed? MORE SPEED? Are you insane?

Jeezus I play nester 5 with a vga box, and that thing does nintendo better than nintendo ever did nintendo. Nester does not need any more speed. It already holds 4096 roms, has perfect speed and sound. The only things I could think of would be a save state function, netplay, and a game genie.

More speed.

Jeez.
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
miah
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by miah »

Yea, and increase that 4096 roms limit.. Still can't fit all my roms on one cd =). It'd also be cool if you could zip the roms. Save a little more on space.

-miah
Holly Hasney
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Holly Hasney »

fatheadpi wrote: More speed? MORE SPEED? Are you insane?
Erm... thats WITH frameskip meaning it can be improved upon to help smoothness....

2ndly, there is save state support, read the readme file :)
discostu55555
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by discostu55555 »

i also think speed is one part where it is currently lacking... i have yet to get a single game in fullscreen with sound to run fullspeed, and that to me means theres room for improvement... and i have an nes sitting about four feet from me right now, and if you think this thing runs better than the real deal, your just wrong... i do think however that the dc does output the images clearer, but thats mostly due to the fact that at the time the nes was out most people in the US and japan didnt have av inputs on their tv(most sisnt even have a coaxial in), so they didnt think much of it... but to be honest, if nesterdc was to stp as a project right now, i think we would all still be happy with the result, i mean it works great and has far surpassed nester for the pc (try running nester on a similar system with limited ram, no hardware acceleration being used, etc...)
orgazmo
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by orgazmo »

I think a few cool little features to add to NesterDC would be:

Ability to swap frameskip controls and directional controls between the pad and stick, so that you could control the games with the analog stick and frameskip with the digital pad if you so desired

Game Genie support

Light gun support, using the actual DC, Saturn, or PSX (with saturn/psx controller adapter) gun, if possible

The obvious continued mapper and speed increases

Optional anti-aliasing (I don't know if that is really necessary, but my roommate seems to think it might look better)

Oh, and ROB robot support (lol - just kidding)

Just a few thoughts...
Holly Hasney
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Holly Hasney »

Few things...

I don't think lightgun support is available in homebrew libs, although I could be wrong....

If you wanna check out what anti-aliasing does, then FrNES has it... burn it and turn it on in the options :)
Ax_Murdera
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Ax_Murdera »

hell ya game genie support would be the shxt. i have a PC emu with game genie support in it and i thug it on the daily.
miah
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by miah »

All this talk of gamegenie is bringing back memories.. oh.. the horrible code input interface... Is there even a good resource of gamegenie codes online (i havn't looked). But it'd be cool if the 'game-genie support' included a database of games + codes like the gameshark so we don't have to type them in..

-miah
Heliophobe_
Smeg Creator
Smeg Creator

Post by Heliophobe_ »

FarSight wrote: And does anyone know how Smegs development is going.
I do! The answer is: slowly. I'm really having trouble finding even a couple hours in a week to spend on it, although when I do work on it I usually get a lot done.

I have a VMU filesystem in development, which is coming along nicely but I haven't tested with a real VMU in a while (I use a virtual VMU on a PC to test, because it's easier to trace problems that way). So game saving will be in the next release - This time I mean it... there's not really a point to releasing a version without saving support right now, as there aren't any criticial errors to fix like there were with v.80->v.84

FM sound is a little off, but it works and it's fast. It'll be in the next release even if it isn't perfect, you can always switch to regular PSG sound if you don't like it.

I am also going to make a couple adjustments to the FM engine to make it behave more like what it really is, the OPL2 chip from old Sound Blaster/Adlib cards, except with preset instruments. I'll release that FM core when I'm fairly satisfied with it, and anybody working on porting DOS games will be free to use it to emulate FM music (Doom and Castle Wolfenstein could use it, if crt0 is interested in it).
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

I still can't see where you need more speed, but if that's what you guys want fine. I still think it does better than nes, but maybe that's just the games I play. And the fact that i now use a vga box, with which all games look hella-bad.

Definitely would dig the use of analouge stick, dpad gets boring. Lightgun would also be great.

There's save state support? DOH. Okay my bad on that one.

And while ability to read zips would be great, I'm sorry guys, but more than 4096? Wow.
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
Shoigres
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Shoigres »

It's an amazing emulator , but it's not perfect at all .

The mappers suport should be the #1 priority , since we can't play such great games like Castlevania 3 or Battletoads yet .

Or it's just my roms that doesn't work ? :?
Arbok9782
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Arbok9782 »

Shoigres wrote: It's an amazing emulator , but it's not perfect at all .

The mappers suport should be the #1 priority , since we can't play such great games like Castlevania 3 or Battletoads yet .

Or it's just my roms that doesn't work ? ?
No, my 'Battletoads', and 'Double Dragon & Battletoads' games don't work either

EDIT: the second and looked strange so changed to &
Last edited by Arbok9782 on Sat Feb 09, 2002 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr Zoidberg
The Filth
The Filth

Post by Dr Zoidberg »

Battletoads works fine for me. Castlevania 3 (US version) works but it's glitchy, the Japanese version apparently works without glitches though.
orgazmo
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by orgazmo »

My Battletoads rom seems to work okay... at least on like 5.03 or 5.04... I haven't checked it lately.

Akumajo Densetsu (japanese cv 3) works great, although it has a minor scrolling stutter occasionally on vertical scrolling.

I haven't tried Battletoads vs Double Dragon... I wasn't much of a fan of it.
Holly Hasney
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Holly Hasney »

Just remember, there are about 5 dumps of a lot of NES ROMs.... best bet is to stick all the versions in :)
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

My NesterDC goes 60 FPS on full screen with sound, no frameskip.
What the hell are you talking about more speed?
evilpie
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by evilpie »

I thought the purpose of the NesterDC project was to port the emulator over to the Dreamcast. Since when did it become Takayama's duty to work on the actual emulation code? If Battletoads doesn't work in PC nester, then it won't work in NesterDC either. Live with it.

Anyway, if there was anything that should be improved on, it would be a revamped user interface, support for VS Unisystem and PlayChoice-10 games, and support for extra peripherals (Arkanoid paddle, Zapper, running pad, etc.).