BOR mod loader ... SBI?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
ethoscapade
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

BOR mod loader ... SBI?

Post by ethoscapade »

okay, well, i think i've gone and correctly compiled an SBI of the BOR mod loader, but i figure i ought to ask some questions before wasting a CD-R.

first of all - has anybody actually gotten this to work with dream inducer? i know BOR didn't work as an SBI, but i've heard good things about the mod loader, so i figure it's worth a shot.

also: what is this MODE1 business i keep hearing about? i use alcohol 120%, if that helps any.

thanks.
ethoscapade
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ethoscapade »

holy crap, it worked, and i didn't even have to worry about MODE anything.

here's the SBI file - i had to host it on my friend's site, since i don't really have any of my own webspace, so if it could be moved to sbiffy, that would be great.

i'm so proud, contributing to the DC scene.

http://www.theotherday.net/rgc/BORloader.sbi

enjoy.
Digital Chaos
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Digital Chaos »

Good job... You get a gold star. Image
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

thanx - gonna check it out soon!
Insane homebrew collector.
DC Cab
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by DC Cab »

This is very good news indeed. Thanks ethoscapade.
DCDayDreamer
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DCDayDreamer »

:D Glad you managed to get it to work ethoscapade, and sorry for not making an SBI version earlier (just too lazy).

Don't forget anyone using this must put the pak files in the root and read the readme file to rename the pak files accordingly or it will not work.
Across the Universe
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Glad some one got my loader to work.. :D
Dreamcast forever!!!
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

With which program did you burn this? Did you burn it with CDRecord, or did you generate a CDI or NRG image?
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
Captain Skyhawk
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Captain Skyhawk »

DCDayDreamer wrote::D Glad you managed to get it to work ethoscapade, and sorry for not making an SBI version earlier (just too lazy).

Don't forget anyone using this must put the pak files in the root and read the readme file to rename the pak files accordingly or it will not work.
Why don't you release your tool here ;)
Visit the DC Help for all the Dreamcast homebrew help you need!
Go to DC Evolution, for the best ready to burn images
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

DCDayDreamer wrote::D Hello Ian, just thought I'd drop a message here that the loader you made is ok, and no it was not a waste of time and was worth the effort.

Sorry to everyone for not trying the loader before now (I use a different method) and yes I made a coaster with my first burn. The loader files themselves worked just fine second time round (after scratching my head for 10 mins :oops: ).

Anyway, to cut a long story short - I've got a zip file at 1.3mb ready to go.
The zip contains all you need to get the app working and a readme...
believe me if anyone gets it wrong from my easy guide they'll rank below me at the stupidity stakes (that'll take some doing :lol: ).

I'll try and get the zip up at DC Evolution in a bit so be patient (the old dog - dialup).

Captain your talking about my loader. He made a readme tut on it. I thank him for it lest my work did not go to wast..
Dreamcast forever!!!
ethoscapade
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ethoscapade »

i generated a CDI and used alcohol to burn.

and don't forget to read the readme, like dreamer said. (by the way, big thanks to ian and dreamer - my part in this was really pretty minimal)

it's working for you guys, right?
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Ive not tryed it yet the sbi.. Im pretty happy some one is using it..
Dreamcast forever!!!
Captain Skyhawk
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Captain Skyhawk »

Ian Micheal wrote:Captain your talking about my loader. He made a readme tut on it. I thank him for it lest my work did not go to wast..
I now see that's an .sbi of the package that DCDayDreamer made with your tools in it. I was a bit confused because ethoscapade didn't credit DCDayDreamer.
Visit the DC Help for all the Dreamcast homebrew help you need!
Go to DC Evolution, for the best ready to burn images
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Yeah. Np.. Just some think i coded on the day after bor come out no one bothered with till now.
Dreamcast forever!!!
burnerO
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by burnerO »

Please explain the directory structure, as I was never able to get this working properly without hanging.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

I explained it in the readme's DCDayDreamer has written a little tut on it should help you download the zip he provided..
Dreamcast forever!!!
ethoscapade
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ethoscapade »

dreamer's readme is in the sbi, i just changed a few bits here and there - his name is still in it, of course.

anyway, the BO1.PAK, BO2.PAK, BO3.PAK, and BO4.PAK all go in the inducer (root) directory.

don't touch the data or mod folders; they're fine.

now, the modname folder should contain modn1.txt, modn2.txt, and modn3.txt (the fourth mod is automatically called "my favorite mod", which i'm not really a huge fan of, but i just put the original beats of rage in that spot).

each of the modnX.txt's should say "ModnameX#". what you want to do is change that text string to reflect the name of the given mod - using dreamer's example, if your BO1.PAK is megaman, make the text in modn1.txt "Megaman#" (and no quotes, i'm only using those for clarity).

that should do it.
DCDayDreamer
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DCDayDreamer »

Ian just to clear this up:

Everyone including me was having problems making an SBI of the BOR engine, I've been using a different method for loading multiple BOR engines for demos. I burnt your mod loader with no success so i used parts of my other method to get it to work....

The pack of files including the SBI by ethoscapade contains your unaltered loader as stated in the readme, however it loads 4 BOR engine files (included), each BOR file has been hex edited to point to individual pak files. As in a single CD BOR image all the pack files go in the root of the CD, and must be named accordingly to work (the only way the loader will work).

Hope that's cleared it up for all, and thanks to Ian for making a 'legal' way to load multiple BOR paks.

One last thing: with a little planning, duplication, renaming and hex editing you can load seperate loader files with DI and have as many bor mods as you want on one CD.
Across the Universe
burnerO
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by burnerO »

Looks good. I shall give this one a go, and will report back with findings.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Yeah You could use it over and over. I could of just compiled the bor engine and changed the path. Tmnt mod is not hexedited. it's the bor engine compiled by me. It's a touch bigger..

When i used it i sent it over my cable it allways worked fine. funny thou now it might get used ..
Dreamcast forever!!!