The ol' Bleemcast thing again

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
Spector
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

The ol' Bleemcast thing again

Post by Spector »

If it's wrong, lock me baby. 8-)
I was in a shop today and saw a Cd in the Dreamcast counter of a video game store called "Bleemcast". It was for "Metal Gear Solid" and was on sale for a fiver. I can tell by the cover etc that it's illegal. But what would happen if this CD was used for other Playstation games? Is this CD difficult to obtain?
Mastaboog749
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Mastaboog749 »

I have know idea what your saying.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Bleemcast metalgear soild disk it not illegal..? What are you talking about.. If your talking about an illegal leaked demo then yes it is. But if it only loads metal gear then it should be the real bleemcast release sold in shops.

Quiet a few copys for sale in shops now and then.
It does load the real playstation disk it's a emulator after all?

If your saying does the metal gear bleemcast disk play any other games no it does not..
Dreamcast forever!!!
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

You can tell by it's cover? Have you ever seen the bleem!cast cases before? They don't look like normal DC games anyway.

But, as far as we all know (Rand included), there is no rip of the discs that were sold available. I don't think the leaked versions can play Metal Gear Solid, and as there are no rips available, I would say it's legit.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Yeah, the Bleemcast case doesn't have the same "polished" look as most releases, and the disc itself doesn't have a normal label...just laser-inscribed logos around the edge. Rather than having a separate case, I actually just mounted a 2-CD hingepiece in my MGS case where the second CD holder is supposed to be, so I could have it all in the Metal Gear Solid gamecase.
Spector
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Spector »

Okay folks that explains it, ta.
Rand Linden
bleemcast! Creator
bleemcast! Creator

Post by Rand Linden »

Oz, eh?

Rand.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Rand Linden wrote:Oz, eh?

Rand.
ahhh! rand is speaking in tongues!!
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Spector
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Spector »

The guy that created Bleemcast has arrived! Good afternoon, Dr Bleem! :)
I'm going to jail for homicide.
Wish me luck.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

LOL! Dr Bleem!!!! HAHAHA oh my.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Segata Sanshiro
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Segata Sanshiro »

you can tell by looking at the DISK with all the bleem labels, there is no way in hell a cd burner can do that :P
Captain Skyhawk
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Captain Skyhawk »

Maybe not the right topic, but I must say that not only the program Bleemcast was an amazing job but also the protection. It still stands firmly almost 3 years now. Seeing how many people tried to crack it, this is a real achievement.

I found it very interesting in technical point of view how the protection works. But together with the real reason of why Bleem quitted this remains on of those spooky Bleem mysteries.
Visit the DC Help for all the Dreamcast homebrew help you need!
Go to DC Evolution, for the best ready to burn images
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Captain Skyhawk wrote:Maybe not the right topic, but I must say that not only the program Bleemcast was an amazing job but also the protection. It still stands firmly almost 3 years now. Seeing how many people tried to crack it, this is a real achievement.

I found it very interesting in technical point of view how the protection works. But together with the real reason of why Bleem quitted this remains on of those spooky Bleem mysteries.
It makes me wonder why the various game companies haven't ever talked to Rand to make protection for them. He's done a far better job on the various things he's put out than any of the game protections out thus far (with the partial exception of the gamecube).
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

gamecube games have even been cracked and warezed, but bleemcast? never. it stands out as a feat of technical brilliance, which makes me wonder, is it literally uncrackable (as in rand, knowing how it works wouldnt be able to) or does it just require detailed knowledge of how it works?
JuniorCrb
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by JuniorCrb »

its a modern day software miracle
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

No disrespect intended towards Rand, but no protection is infallible.

The fact that bleemcast remains uncracked to this day is more likely due to the cancellation of the Dreamcast and subsequent loss of interest, rather than an inability of the crackers to break the scheme.

If the protection was used on FFX-2 for example, it would almost certainly be cracked.

Rand's system is rather ingenious, admittedly, but not indestructable.
Rand Linden
bleemcast! Creator
bleemcast! Creator

Post by Rand Linden »

Nothing is uncrackable, given the time, resources and incentive to break the copy protection.

For those reasons, and others, b!DC remains secure so far.

It certainly holds the new record, although how long it will last, who knows.

Rand.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

quzar wrote:gamecube games have even been cracked and warezed, but bleemcast? never. it stands out as a feat of technical brilliance, which makes me wonder, is it literally uncrackable (as in rand, knowing how it works wouldnt be able to) or does it just require detailed knowledge of how it works?
The GameCube warez requires special hardware, a connection to your PC, and many games work considerably worse and load slower, issues like that. Still, that's why I said "partial" exception. If you have to spend a considerable chunk of money, games don't work as well, and it's a big pain in the ass to do, I think the effect on gaming sales is completely negligible.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Lartrak wrote:
quzar wrote:gamecube games have even been cracked and warezed, but bleemcast? never. it stands out as a feat of technical brilliance, which makes me wonder, is it literally uncrackable (as in rand, knowing how it works wouldnt be able to) or does it just require detailed knowledge of how it works?
The GameCube warez requires special hardware, a connection to your PC, and many games work considerably worse and load slower, issues like that. Still, that's why I said "partial" exception. If you have to spend a considerable chunk of money, games don't work as well, and it's a big pain in the ass to do, I think the effect on gaming sales is completely negligible.
not to sound like a warez monkey, but it requires only a BBA, and loads as quickly as from actual mini-DVD as long as the hard drive isnt being used by other apps on the PC.
ambientdistortions
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by ambientdistortions »

This is one thing I've never seemed interested in getting really as I had a PS2.
Keyword here was HAD... now I'm thinking of getting the MGS and Bleemcast.

I'm just curious though if MGS runs very nicely and smooth just how many other
games could have been emulated just as easily. I'm still hoping that someday I'll be able to play Parasite Eve 1 & 2 on the DC :) And speaking of emulation... I would love to play Secret of the Silver Blades on the good ol DC :) heh...