Countries that still have functioning monarchies?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Countries that still have functioning monarchies?

Post by Lartrak »

In the thread about Bill Gates and whether he is the richest man in the world or not, the Sultan of Brunei Darussalam was brought up - and he is by all counts a functioning monarch, the ruler of his country as well as the religion, and his father before him.

I believe Jordan also has a functioning monarch. Are there any other countries?

Remember functioning is important - figureheads don't count.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

The UK

They function as a tourist attraction, and as page fillers when the newspapers have no stories.
Master Higgins
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Master Higgins »

Brunei, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Japan (Religious Head), Vatican City, I think Monaco...some others
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

Lichtenstein with the prince I'd guess.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
Kamjin
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Kamjin »

Canada.. and I think most other Commonwealth countries..
and it's kinda scary in a sense since constitutionally she
still is the supreme power, even over the democracy..

If she actually felt like it.. she could litterally pass
or stop any law.. Do anything she actually wanted...
-Azathoth-
Jounin Shinobi
Jounin Shinobi

Post by -Azathoth- »

It's good to be the king! (old mel brooks reference <<)
"Deviantart is the home of messed up emo kids"
Master Higgins
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Master Higgins »

Canada.. and I think most other Commonwealth countries..
and it's kinda scary in a sense since constitutionally she
still is the supreme power, even over the democracy..

If she actually felt like it.. she could litterally pass
or stop any law.. Do anything she actually wanted...
ya right. Australia has all but sloughed commonwealth status and Canada is more a satellite of the USA than it is the UK, she is pretty much powerless.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

I can't wait till Aussies give the queen the boot. Happy days to come :D

I just hope that means that the current Aussie PM (john howard) would be allowed to run for president of Au. That'd be nightmare! :o
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

Skynet wrote:I can't wait till Aussies give the queen the boot. Happy days to come :D
Uh didnt you lot say you wanted that a few years back then when it came to making a desicion you all decided to keep the queen? oh yes, you did.
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
Dr. Zoidberg
The Filth
The Filth

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Hawq wrote:
Skynet wrote:I can't wait till Aussies give the queen the boot. Happy days to come :D
Uh didnt you lot say you wanted that a few years back then when it came to making a desicion you all decided to keep the queen? oh yes, you did.
That's because it would have been replaced with a system where the politicians would have elected who became President, which most people were/are against. The majority of Australians want to get rid of the monarchy, it's mainly old geezers who want to keep it but hopefully most of them will be gone by the next referendum. :twisted:
Master Higgins
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Master Higgins »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote:
Hawq wrote:
That's because it would have been replaced with a system where the politicians would have elected who became President, which most people were/are against. The majority of Australians want to get rid of the monarchy, it's mainly old geezers who want to keep it but hopefully most of them will be gone by the next referendum. :twisted:
Screw referendums, just kill the royalty :mrgreen: Show the French and Russians that y'all got balls too :P
Cn'Fused
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Cn'Fused »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote:That's because it would have been replaced with a system where the politicians would have elected who became President, which most people were/are against. The majority of Australians want to get rid of the monarchy, it's mainly old geezers who want to keep it but hopefully most of them will be gone by the next referendum. :twisted:
I think most people who voted against the referendum thought that there would either be a loss of ties with Britain, a loss of money from the changes or just didn't want to change.

I remember a friend of mine tried incredibly hard to explain that because we were to become a Republic we'd have to change our flag, our currency, everything with the Union Jack on it because Britain would make us do it.
My first thought was "Don't we change our currency every few years anyway? Why don't we just change the currency next time the mint makes a new design?". Then I figured that yes, it would cost a bit to alter the flag and that, but not enough to bankrupt the country for sure. And we certainly would have had some time to do it - as if England would declare war on us for a flag issue :D

Anyway, I think my point is that lots of people got sucked into the No! side by bullshit ideas of problems involved with the system. I would have voted Yes!, but many people I know voted against it because they weren't sure it was for the best.
Next time, let's hope the idea isn't so messy...
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote:
Hawq wrote:
You make it sound like:
1) A referendum will be a common thing
2) Australia calls the shots over whether you have the queen or not

Your ours biznatch, you had your chance you break free and you threw it away. Maybe in 100 years or so we'll see how everything is working out.
Dr. Zoidberg
The Filth
The Filth

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Cn'Fused wrote:I think most people who voted against the referendum thought that there would either be a loss of ties with Britain, a loss of money from the changes or just didn't want to change.

I remember a friend of mine tried incredibly hard to explain that because we were to become a Republic we'd have to change our flag, our currency, everything with the Union Jack on it because Britain would make us do it.
My first thought was "Don't we change our currency every few years anyway? Why don't we just change the currency next time the mint makes a new design?". Then I figured that yes, it would cost a bit to alter the flag and that, but not enough to bankrupt the country for sure. And we certainly would have had some time to do it - as if England would declare war on us for a flag issue :D

Anyway, I think my point is that lots of people got sucked into the No! side by poop ideas of problems involved with the system. I would have voted Yes!, but many people I know voted against it because they weren't sure it was for the best.
Yeah, all those were reasons too. ;)
Cn'Fused wrote:Next time, let's hope the idea isn't so messy...
Hopefully it won't be.
scykon wrote: You make it sound like:
1) A referendum will be a common thing
There could be a new referendum on the republic before the decade is out. :P
scykon wrote:2) Australia calls the shots over whether you have the queen or not
We do, queeny said she wouldn't stop us becoming a republic if that's what we want.
scykon wrote:Your ours biznatch, you had your chance you break free and you threw it away. Maybe in 100 years or so we'll see how everything is working out.
NOOOOO!!! We don't won't to be associated with you whinging, unwashed, crooked teeth, suck at sport (except for rugger bugger) poms! :cry:
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

NOOOOO!!! We don't won't to be associated with you whinging, unwashed, crooked teeth, suck at sport (except for rugger bugger) poms!
:lol: so true!

We don't really have that much in common with them anymore. Look how multicultral this country is. We have our own identity now. That's why the queen she be done away with for us.

Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

It doesnt matter what Queeny says, she has no say over anything, except maybe what clothes shes going to wear.
Besides, I doubt you will get another referendum before Prince Charles takes over.*

*However this shouldnt really matter because if Prince Charles does take the throne it is very likley that the British monarchy will fall apart anyway. Most people are suggesting that for the monarchy to survive, Prince Charles needs to give up his right to the throne and let William take over, so we can have a King in his twenties who can make Royalty "cool" again.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

I can't see the queen passing down the title any time soon anyway. That biatch is there to stay! :lol:

By the time Charles takes over, he'll prolly croak anyway.

pkScary
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by pkScary »

Last edited by pkScary on Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Holland has a monarchy, or at least it did last time I was there.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
readme.txt
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by readme.txt »

it still has a monarchy
German DC-Forums ------>>> http://www.boi.de.vu