DC Petition: Bring Back the BBA!

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
The OK Pope
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

DC Petition: Bring Back the BBA!

Post by The OK Pope »

I, like many other people, have had a horrible time trying to find a BBA affordibly. About the only place you can get one is on ebay for about $125, which is rediculous; for $125, you can get a Gamecube and a GC BBA! The shortage of BBAs has not only affected the DC online community, but also the developers; many of them are on tight budgets and can't purchase an expensive gaming item.

Sega could make an absolute killing off this; if they brought back the BBA and priced it even $50 or so, that's not a bad profit. Sony's Network Adaptor goes for about $45, and Nintendo's is around $35. Of course, there isn't a global desire for Dreamcast hardware, but a limited distribution through Sega.com could bring a profit to Sega, and a product that the DC community could enjoy.

A petition brought Border Down to the Dreamcast, if anyone is interested in starting a petition to bring back the BBA, I think this thread is a good place to start. :)
df0notfound
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by df0notfound »

keep dreaming, theres no way they'd go anywhere near a profit unless they had a pile of them in a warehouse
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

knowing sega, they probably do.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

I would sign it, but sega doesnt like to lisitin to stuff much. they remind me of yelling at a brick wal(without the echo). But hell I would sign, and send countless letters too. I want a BBA so bad, but i dont feel like spending over 100 bucks on one just for online games. Plus it takes it away from someone who could put it to devolopment uses.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

I would sign it because The OK Pope thought the idea up.
GyroVorbis
Elysian Shadows Developer

Post by GyroVorbis »

Would somebody mind clarifying to a DC newbie what BBA is?
If it has anything to do with Dreamcast I'd sign that mofo...
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

BBA = broad band adapter
The OK Pope
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by The OK Pope »

I guess it isn't a very realistic idea, mostly wishful thinking. The only reasons that I think it is even slightly possible to happen are that Sega recently scraped together refurbished DCs with Puyo Puyo Fever and the success with the Border Down petition.
Mikey1109
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Mikey1109 »

might as well start one. cant hurt. id love to get my hands on one of those babies!
Vchat20
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Vchat20 »

id sign it. i want a BBA so bad. but it hell will freeze over before i ever even think about paying over $100 for one.
JuniorCrb
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by JuniorCrb »

same here, but no luck :(
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis »

In that case, hell yes I want a BBA! I've been looking for one, with no luck.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

There was a bit of a movement with regards to BBAs before. People were asked to pre-order BBAs, before they'd even been made. Once 1000 people had put their names down, and probably paid a small depsoit, 1000 were made and distributed.

I can't really see that many more people being interested another time, and making less than that amount would probably be too expensive.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
The Kron
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by The Kron »

That venture was undertaken by Sega's sister company CRI or CSK (Can't remember which atm), Unfortunately they sold their shares in Sega to Sammy so the new BBA's wont be manufactured now.
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

I just got this email from Lik-Sang:
do you still have the [Dreamcast Broadband Adapter] you bought from us a looong time ago?

We'd like to buy it back for US$ 50 (PayPal, Money Bookers or Store Credit). Yes, that's right, we 'd like to give you $50 for it!

Please note that we can only buy adapters that actually work. If you still have the packing of it, please also include it when sending the DC Broadband Adapter back to us.

Please send your adapter to the following address. It's usually OK to use Airmail as it is inexpensive and can be registered so that the parcel is not likely to be lost on the way.

Pacific Game Technology (Holding) Limited
ATTN: Johnson Cheng, DC-BBA 127098
Unit 17B, 17/F, Broadway Centre
93 Kwai Fuk Road, Kwai Chung
New Territories, Hong Kong

<snip>

We are sending you this email because many DC programmers out there can't get a DC Broadband Adapter, Sega discontinued the item :/

Best regards

Your Lik-Sang.com Team
:o
The Kron
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by The Kron »

Yeah I bet they would like to buy it back for $50, They will probably sell them on for double the mark up.... Cheeky gits
Fatalist
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Fatalist »

Hi Phantom,

I received the e-mail from Lik-Sang too and I posted my opinion about it on other boards. They must think the customers that bought from them BBAs are stupid and doesn't know the value of the item. :roll: The DC-Scene excuse is pathetic.
Falcon McCooper
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Falcon McCooper »

Wow. I'd easily shell out as much dough as they want, just to give Sega a little bit more income from their DC business! Maybe it would turn somebody around... and maybe spark one of them to try to get back into the console business!

It may be a very long shot, but with a LOT of people willing to put a LOT of money (combined, that is) into the Dreamcast - and other various attachments for the same - it MAY, just MAY, result in a Dream being re-cast ;)
aisupikku
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by aisupikku »

Still; Lik-Sang's effort will be appreciated by myself if even only one currently-unused BBA (perhaps indeed owned by someone whom doesn't know of its value, price or principle) makes its way into the hands of someone that could use it to do something, where it wouldn't have been possible otherwise!

Another thought is way out there, but, I was thinking that perhaps somehow, Lik-Sang have none available and/or want to buy some used ones back at a lower cost so that they could possibly tinker around with them with less funds at risk, even towards the end of manufacturing their own. That would be cool! I can't imagine that the hardware would be terribly complex or expensive, with how the cost of components is perpetually falling...

Anyway; although this cause may be lost, the hope is not. I'd sign! :D
« ˆˆ -ˆ-ˆ ˆ » [ Let's help! Trizeal DC ]
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

it would be interesting to ensure that they will not sell it for a large profit. because there are many out there that do not use their BBAs and many could be used better by devvers.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man