PSO Homebrewed Server?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.

Would ya want to use a fan-made PSO server?

Total votes: 0
clessoulis
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

I hope i dont sound to stupid

Post by clessoulis »

But could a simple change of the sever that it looks for in the source code get you onto a different sever? I mean it looks for one that Sega use's so replace it with yours. What you really gotta do is kill that fuck serial number scaning and that other number.

Side note if you really wanna piss Sega Off or just be super cool wait till the Gamecube version comes out then Set your DC PSOv2's to connect to that sever so you'll be playing with the rest and keeping current. You'd run into lots of errors but they could be fixed with time and work.
bump1
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

bump

Post by bump1 »

buuump! wellll?
MonoxBoogie
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Hello, and Help...

Post by MonoxBoogie »

Hi everybody. I've been lurking these boards for a while, and I've finally decided to post. So, I'm here, and I'm going to offer my help. I've got a broadband connection, and some MAD computer skills; as well as mad free time. My dreamcast coding skills aren't the greatest; but I doubt that matters; this is all TCP/IP server work hosted on a computer. I can offer my connection; I can set up a proxy; I can probably even write bits and pieces of a server. Let me know what you want...
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Here is what is wanted of your MAD computer skills

Post by 004 »

Here is the link to PSO homebrew server site:
http://get-me.to/PSOproject

Go there and read....
MonoxBoogie
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Heh...

Post by MonoxBoogie »

Bro, no offence, but that site is a little bit REALLY wack...And how can you run a site on something you don't know much about. Your "gateway server" page shows you don't know very much about what your talking about. Your HTML is horribly wrong...And the links don't work on the left frame. In short: step up and do a better job. Don't take me as flaming you or anything like that, but by making a crumby web site, you make the project look like a 2 bit project put together by newbs. Take this as constructive critism; and make the page better. If you need any help, lemme know through a private message or something, we'll talk, and I can help you make an awesome page for an awesome project.
SpiderW
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by SpiderW »

Well it doesn't look like Sega are taking theres down too soon, and worse of all, down here in Australia, you can only use the dreamcast online with one ISP, and they are shit! So I am stuck with the ability to never play PSO online again.
Crack a window will ya!
SpiderW
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by SpiderW »

Noq that I begin to think about it, a PSO server without swear filters would be excellent. Then we could all say words like Saturday and conversation wouldn't be all fucked up.
Crack a window will ya!
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc »

SpiderW wrote:Well it doesn't look like Sega are taking theres down too soon, and worse of all, down here in Australia, you can only use the dreamcast online with one ISP, and they are poop! So I am stuck with the ability to never play PSO online again.
Ever considered downloading + burning Planetweb 2.6?
You can change the ISP to WHATEVER you want.
SpiderW
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by SpiderW »

That sounds a bit easier said then done..... Then again I havn't been on the PSO talks since early 2001
Crack a window will ya!
Freeze
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Freeze »

[b]Other question:[/b] The Shenmue- and Sega Rally 2-server shunt down this year. Is it posible to reactivate it by a homebrewn-server?
ssj4goku128
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ssj4goku128 »

Yo man... this webpage for the homebrew server is legit, but they need peeps to do what they say in there "what can i do to help" section so that they can see how it works
Duker900
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Duker900 »

eeye can help, I use the DC/PC connection method thing, have quite an understanding of networking/ TCP/IP and stuff, and can help people with the dc-pc connection also if they need it
hornpipe2
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by hornpipe2 »

Anyone still working on this? Let me know if you want to start work coding... we could get something going. I can get logs, and do some programming... and I at least have understanding of the goal of this project (which many on this topic seem to lack). As many people knowledgeable of TCP/IP as possible would be great... if you're interested, post here and we'll start up the PMs.

-Greg
SpiderW
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by SpiderW »

I must have skipped the Planetweb 2.6 part, ok, where the hell can I get it, and can I add it to Inducer?
Crack a window will ya!
reaper2k2
DC Developer
DC Developer

iam from aussie to

Post by reaper2k2 »

iam aussie to

aussie aussie aussie

any ways yes you can use that disk to change your isp settings have been doing that since 00

its about 10 meg pm me or email me for a link cuz if iam not wrong its warez.......

so dont ask for it or the topic will get closed mostlikly

reaper_angel@hotmail.com add me if need be
haaris_abbasi
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by haaris_abbasi »

Whats up with the calanders? My last post was done in May or June 2002 andd it says 2001!
haaris_abbasi
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by haaris_abbasi »

Whats up with the calanders? My last post was done in May or June 2002 andd it says 2001!
SpiderW
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by SpiderW »

thanks, I'll contact you soon
Zante
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

b00 wah =D

Post by Zante »

Here's a few random thoughts from me =)

NB: This is just theory.

Client and Server-side:

The actual PSO cd is the client-side part, the rest is server-side. The rom is going to have to be hex edited to alter the DNS settings of the servers it's supposed to connect to. For argument's sake let's say there are 3 servers.

Login server >> PSO server >> game server(s)

First step, emulate a login server:
Needs a database from which accounts can be read and written to.
The login server might be the one that informs the client where it can find the actual PSO servers (as opposed to the information being held on GD ROM), this needs to be determined before going any further.

As for the actual PSO/game server(s):
Let's say the client and host send information via a TCP/IP protocol. That means that the actual server software could be put on any operating system as long as it's TCP/IP compatible. After that there's a butt-load of server-side scripting to do regarding game play and rooms. I'd normally say give-up but I'd like to see this thing happen. =)

We also need to determine what the server-side computing consists of.

Assumably the servers control:

Players per game
PvP areas (if there's even a PvP flag in V1)
Item decay???
NPC grid references + refreshing of NPC locs
NPC status, hp, alive/dead etc...
NPC targetting

and a whole other bunch of stuff

/shiver

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alternatively we could employ a small tactical team comprised of Ninjas and use them to bring us back some samples of the software itself...
This whole concept also seems highly illegal in my country (UK), I'm not sure about you yanks... =D
Like I said, this is just a bunch of random thoughts that didn't have a home to go to before this thread was made so I'll just leave them here to make their residence.
NB: I know what I said regarding the protocol can be debated and I'm probably wrong but I'm just speculating here.
-Zante
hornpipe2
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Re: b00 wah =D

Post by hornpipe2 »

Let's review this again:
Zante wrote:The actual PSO cd is the client-side part, the rest is server-side. The rom is going to have to be hex edited to alter the DNS settings of the servers it's supposed to connect to. For argument's sake let's say there are 3 servers.
Correct, sort of. PSO cd is the client, just like your Diablo II CD is a client. The server is in a warehouse, or on somebody's PC in their closet, or whoever handles a lot of incoming client connections. However, no hex editing is needed. Just run a DNS server off the PC used in the DC-PC connection that redirects to the IP address. Thus the game will be fooled into going to the wrong address. So there are three devices involved:
1. User's Dreamcast running PSO, directly connected to the user's PC via a phone line running across the floor in the basement
2. User's PC running the dialup server to make the DC-PC connection. Here we implement the DNS server, so the Dreamcast will dial this PC, try to access pso.sega.net or wherever, and be handed an IP address pointing to our third device...
3. Another PC running the actual homebrew server. This one will emulate any servers run by Sega. We will hand out IP addresses of working servers, so device 2 (user's PC) can redirect appropriately in the DNS server. It is connected to the user's PC by the Internet, and will handle all needed functions.
So for a diagram...
Dreamcast >>>>>>>>>>>> User's PC >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Server PC
(PSO) (PHONE LINE) (DIALUP SERVER) (INTERNET) (HOMEBREW SERVER)
hope that helps at all...
Zante wrote:Login server >> PSO server >> game server(s)
First step, emulate a login server:
Needs a database from which accounts can be read and written to.
The login server might be the one that informs the client where it can find the actual PSO servers (as opposed to the information being held on GD ROM), this needs to be determined before going any further.
Not really true either. The emulation here can be really rudimentary - just check to see if this is really a Dreamcast logging on. We don't care about serial numbers or whatnot, since we don't really have a way to verify them. So just accept any incoming connection that looks like it is from a Dreamcast.
NOTE that all of the previously mentioned server functions (login/PSO/game) will be handled by the same software in a one-two-three combination. We limit ourselves to only a few players anyway, but we prevent a centralized server that could be constantly changing, and we end up with an all-in-one software package allowing anyone to actually run the server if they want too.
At this point any character data will be logged (or maybe even later in the lobby) so the server can keep track of all the information for the next part of the server...
Zante wrote: As for the actual PSO/game server(s):
Let's say the client and host send information via a TCP/IP protocol. That means that the actual server software could be put on any operating system as long as it's TCP/IP compatible. After that there's a butt-load of server-side scripting to do regarding game play and rooms. I'd normally say give-up but I'd like to see this thing happen. =)
Right, this is all TCP/IP stuff as far as the logging tells us. Again, a hell of a lot of protocol hacking. We could write the thing in Perl or something, so it could be transferred to any operating system. Then again, we'd need some programmers who know Perl...
Zante wrote: We also need to determine what the server-side computing consists of.
Assumably the servers control:
Players per game
PvP areas (if there's even a PvP flag in V1)
Item decay???
NPC grid references + refreshing of NPC locs
NPC status, hp, alive/dead etc...
NPC targetting
and a whole other bunch of stuff
Here's where I'm about to say give up. But you know, anything we get done is progress I guess. The server could be made to handle all sorts of limiting on player numbers or something so it doesn't get too complex, but even so...
PSO opens direct connections not only to the server but also to other players, so we wouldn't need to really know player locations. I wonder how much is handled by clients - item pickups, hit points, monster spawning, etc. - and how much is done by the server. If it's a big database of information that the game just requests as needed, this project gets much simpler. If we're required to come up with the code to run each portion of the game on the server itself, then it's time to head to GameFaqs and start readin' up on formulas and such from the more detailed FAQs...
Zante wrote: ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alternatively we could employ a small tactical team comprised of Ninjas and use them to bring us back some samples of the software itself...
Or pirates...
Zante wrote: ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
This whole concept also seems highly illegal in my country (UK), I'm not sure about you yanks... =D
Oh, it's probably illegal too. But anything you guys have a law against, we have one too... except ours probably has a loophole big enough to drive a truck out of!

-Greg