Xbox is possibly the greatest thing to happen to emulation.

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Tall Israeli
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Xbox is possibly the greatest thing to happen to emulation.

Post by Tall Israeli »

Does anyone else have a modded Xbox? I'm running one with a 120gb hd and have 60gb worth of emulators and roms for various consoles. It's so great that I don't even have to load any discs, but just cycle through some menus and load up a game like Outrun. I'm also suprised how well the n64 emulator runs! I also hear there is a PSX one, but I haven't tried it out yet.
girls keep telling me they want 8".. so i tell'm ok.. i'll fold it in half
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

ive got a modded one.........modded w/ apple x pro

1 60gig, 1 40gig, and orig.

ive got a complete USA romset for n64 (2.xx gigs) and a bunch of other stuff........all together my hdd's are full. a total of about 40 games backed up on there (faster loading times than running off cd), and emu's for every console available, and like 10 gig's of music..........

and about the psx emu, dont get it. there is no cd support yet (have to have images in a folder) and loading time is slow and it runs slow.

xbox is great, and im suprised ms is doin so bad on how easy of a console it is to hack.

im sure im breakin a rule by statin how much/what i have on my hdd but oh well........
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
Neopunk
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by Neopunk »

I thought Micro$soft was going to "hunt" down everyone who had a modded xbox...
mariobro
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mariobro »

You bet your butt! It's just like playing on a real Snes!

But in the end, that same "hackability" is a major concern for Microsoft. That's why there's talk of dropping the the hard drive on the next Xbox.

But in the end they did quite well, because using off-the-shelf components saved millions in development costs. Just ask Nintendo or Sony, who have to design their hardware from scratch.

The Xbox helped Microsoft get a hold on the console market at a reasonable cost, so now they can afford to design custom hardware.
"Until I finally made it, life was kinda hit or miss...
And I'd love to talk philosophy, but I gotta take a piss"
-David Lee Roth
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

The only question I have with xBox is that...well, let's see. It's big, pushes its networking abilities, modified WinXP kernel, hard drive, stays cheaper to develop by using modified versions of standard PC hardware...why not just build a game-sytem PC? Get a mini-case, a GF4 or Radeon 9000, an older P4, and the rest will be built into most good motherboards...a cheap DVD drive and a hard drive, a few USB controllers (which are cheaper than licensed and specially developed game system controllers...or if you're a purist, you can use a PS2 > USB adapter). You're set. Shouldn't be too hard to set up the OS to be more game-system-like, especially if you use "Hibernate" (a WinNT/XP quick-reload option) to shut down.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

As you can tell, the xBox isn't exactly my favorite console in the world. It just seems kind of pointless...especially when Sony has so many more 3rd-party developers, and Nintendo has much better first-party titles. Also, although I know it's just the way the business world works, I hate to watch Nintendo go the way of Sega...the last dedicated game-company die. SNK ended production of their stuff, went bankrupt, and were then bought and ressurrected in name only...same as Atari. And NEC doesn't make their own systems any more either, as far as I know.

The death of the Dreamcast for me was kind of like what I'm sure the previous generation of gamers felt as they watched the Lynx and the Jaguar go down. Sure, Nintendo is just a "big, faceless corporation" like Sony or MS...but at least it was a GAME-DEDICATED one rather than a multimedia conglomorate that just had video games as one of their product lines. That may sound stupid, and it probably is, to some degree...just a bit of premature nostalgia, I guess.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

DaMadFiddler wrote:The only question I have with xBox is that...well, let's see. It's big, pushes its networking abilities, modified WinXP kernel, hard drive, stays cheaper to develop by using modified versions of standard PC hardware...why not just build a game-sytem PC? Get a mini-case, a GF4 or Radeon 9000, an older P4, and the rest will be built into most good motherboards...a cheap DVD drive and a hard drive, a few USB controllers (which are cheaper than licensed and specially developed game system controllers...or if you're a purist, you can use a PS2 > USB adapter). You're set. Shouldn't be too hard to set up the OS to be more game-system-like, especially if you use "Hibernate" (a WinNT/XP quick-reload option) to shut down.
It would cost a hell of a lot more than an Xbox and couldn't play XB exclusives.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Barnolde
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Barnolde »

I've got a 120GB in mine. I backup (yes, backup) all my games. I have lots of emulators on there, plus movies. Excellent stuff.
AIM: Barnolde
XBL: Barnolde
Tall Israeli
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Tall Israeli »

The ability to turn off the system without actually getting up is neat. I think all systems should have this ability and maybe the ability to turn it on without getting up.
girls keep telling me they want 8".. so i tell'm ok.. i'll fold it in half
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Psx emulator is not slow heh if you have the latest version.
Dreamcast forever!!!
* illusion *
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by * illusion * »

Hell yea, Xbox is everything DC should have been in terms of homebrew software/emus :D
Safety in Nimbus
Revenge Therapist
Revenge Therapist

Post by Safety in Nimbus »

I have mine w/ 80 gig HDD and I too backup all my games so much easier not to mention it reduces load times. I had mine modded when the Enigmah chip came out I flashed the bios and took out the chip a few months ago. It makes a great media/game station. Having MXM make's it look very profession and well done. When I get settled in later on I'll be making an arcade cabinet and using the xbox to power the games and such. TV output, inexepensive, and can play most the games I would want to play.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Lartrak wrote:It would cost a hell of a lot more than an Xbox and couldn't play XB exclusives.
A damn decent PC can actually be built for $500 or less these days if you're a careful shopper. The two "big" xBox exclusives, Halo and KotOR, both came out for PC, and the rest really aren't too impressive. (As for non-exclusive current games, most of them are either available for PC natively or for PS2, which we're not as far as you'd think from emulating).

Of course, this is just my opinion; I know that. It's just not an appealing system to me; I'd be far more inclined to build my own PC-based "fake console" than I ever would to buy an xBox.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

DaMadFiddler wrote:
Lartrak wrote:It would cost a hell of a lot more than an Xbox and couldn't play XB exclusives.
A damn decent PC can actually be built for $500 or less these days if you're a careful shopper. The two "big" xBox exclusives, Halo and KotOR, both came out for PC, and the rest really aren't too impressive. (As for non-exclusive current games, most of them are either available for PC natively or for PS2, which we're not as far as you'd think from emulating).

Of course, this is just my opinion; I know that. It's just not an appealing system to me; I'd be far more inclined to build my own PC-based "fake console" than I ever would to buy an xBox.
$500 VS $140, which will be dropping to under $100 in a little while. There is no comparison.

As far as other XB exclusives... Well, I consider PDO, Ninja Gaiden, and a few others to be worth owning (a little iffy on Ninja Gaiden at this point). The XB versions of multiplatform titles are often the best as well. Of course, I should point out I haven't considered an XB worth the money yet.

As far as PS2 emulation, I know what state it is in. It's not going to be worth doing for anything but extremely top end machines until the next gen of consoles is already well under way.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Mastaboog749
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Mastaboog749 »

Can A modded xbox play PC games? or is there a homebrew webbrowser for it to use with the windows xp kernel?
* illusion *
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by * illusion * »

No and No.
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

There is a Linux distro for it though which can run some PC titles, theres also a Dosbox port iirc for the older games, though several have been ported such as:
Rick Dangerous
Doom 1 & 2
Duke Nukem
Quake
Quake 2
etc..
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

There is a new homebrew browser, based off of a modified version of Links with image support. It's pretty good, but it doesn't support some of the newer stuff like CSS, and most likely Flash.

By the way, it's a Windows 2000 kernel ;).

Hawq - what games could that distro play? I was always under the impression that Xbox Linux couldn't handle any 3D stuff.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Hawq wrote:There is a Linux distro for it though which can run some PC titles, theres also a Dosbox port iirc for the older games, though several have been ported such as:
Rick Dangerous
Doom 1 & 2
Duke Nukem
Quake
Quake 2
etc..
All of them run on dreamcast to hehe. Im still a dreamcast fan i think Dc has a lot better ports of some of the emulators that are on Xbox.

Each to his one. But no chip and $30 makes the dreamcast even better.
Dreamcast forever!!!
* illusion *
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by * illusion * »

All of them run on dreamcast to hehe. Im still a dreamcast fan i think Dc has a lot better ports of some of the emulators that are on Xbox.
What emulators are these?

Here are the current best Xbox emulators:
286/386 - DOSXBox
Adam/Collecovision - AdamX
AGI Sierra - SarienX
Amiga - UAE-X
Arcade - MAMEoX
Daphne Laserdisc - DaphneX
Apple IIgs/e/c/+ - KegsX
Atari800/5200/130/320 - AtariXLBox
Atari 2600 - Z26X
Atari Lynx - HandyX