SuperFamicast Should make a 1 rom CD system like NesterDC

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.

SuperFamicast - Single rom CDs ?

Yes
23%
No
8%
No need, I like all my roms on one CD
69%

Total votes: 13
mwmdragon
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

SuperFamicast Should make a 1 rom CD system like NesterDC

Post by mwmdragon »

SuperFamicast Should make a 1 rom CD system like NesterDC does. You should see my collection of single game CDs that my friends and I use all the time playing Nes games on my Dreamcast.

If you agree please post it here so that the Devvers see the demand and actually implement it :)
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Um...shouldn't we let them concentrate on getting the EMULATION up to speed before throwing in cosmetic features?
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Re: SuperFamicast Should make a 1 rom CD system like NesterDC

Post by OneThirty8 »

mwmdragon wrote:SuperFamicast Should make a 1 rom CD system like NesterDC does. You should see my collection of single game CDs that my friends and I use all the time playing Nes games on my Dreamcast.

If you agree please post it here so that the Devvers see the demand and actually implement it :)
This was mentioned in the 'Wish List' thread a few pages ago, so I'm sure scherzo is aware there is some interest in the idea.
speud
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by speud »

personnally i see it as something to implement at the very end, as i really dont see any point in burning one cd for each game :o
anyway im not the one who does the emu so i will let scherzo decide if it will be implemented soon or not, im just giving my opinion
http://blueswirl.fr.st - DC Online Tools and Downloads

thx to Wack0 for the avatar ;)
Storminator16
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Storminator16 »

Uhmmmm, dudes, it's already implemented.

Just name your rom "game.", plus whatever extension your rom originally had. For example. "dariustwins.smc" would be "game.smc".
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

Just out of curosity why have multible disc instead of one? I am just curious, does it effect speed? The only thing I would possibly ask for that isn't emulation related is a page up and down button for the rom menu like Nester, but I am just lazy.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

WillSams wrote:Uhmmmm, dudes, it's already implemented.

Just name your rom "game.", plus whatever extension your rom originally had. For example. "dariustwins.smc" would be "game.smc".
WillSams is right. I've already added this feature. I saw people making single game DVD covers for games like Chrono Trigger and thought, why not.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Some people might want "1" to only have the games they own and make it feel. Like each cd is a cart. And make a cover and case for each game just like the one they really own. You never bought snes games in 600 packs so i guess some people like to do it and try match only what they have large rom collecton on a cd makes you not play each game long or care much about them ive allways felt that. A cdr is like what 30cents a snes cart can still be up to $30 i think one cd a game is still valid for people not into mass colletions.

But it has this feature from the start. I think i would do this for a few games i own when it's fullspeed i would make a cover and do the snes carts i own in this fashion. Matching the collection i own.
Dreamcast forever!!!
mwmdragon
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Thanks

Post by mwmdragon »

Thanks, for clearing this up. I'm sorry I didn't know it was already implented.

Having one rom per CD is for the reasons stated above. I like to have one CD per game because it gives it the Cartridge feeling. I seem to take more interest in a game if I don't have a list of 3000 to choose from. I am also a Photoshop God and like to make covers for my games. No speed difference, just nostalgic reasons :)

Thanks for making Snes playable on the DC scherzo !!!!

I can't wait for the next release, I make sure the Emulator gets it's logo on the CD covers I make so that when everyone plays it they realize what is the power behind the fun. I have had 3 friends buy dreamcast just for the emulators they played on mine :)

Keep up the great Devving !!
DarkGambitX
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by DarkGambitX »

Wow 1 WHOLE rom per disk. Rock On :lol: Sense my sarcaism
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

No it is a good reason, I was just curious. (thanks Ian) Personally what I do when I get into a game is I make it my wallpaper so I have it there. I use to just use the last screen shot but I got Lazy. Right now I have Popfull Mail.
SSJKarma
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by SSJKarma »

Ian may be wrong for one point tho... having multiple roms on one CD doesn't make you play less to one game... you actually play a game less because you don't feel like playing it. that's th eonly reason to act like that.

i may have multiple games on one CD, but that's because i dislike having multiple DISKs CASES all around the place to a point where i don't know where to put them all after it !

example : i have more then 60 games for DREAMCAST, but i have only 60 places for CDs !
where do i place the rest ?

I have more then 100 games for my computer, where do i place the rest if i have only place for the next 60 ?

see, it just takes up too much place, so one rom disk doesn't appeal to me because of that !

in any case... the feature is good for those who like it and its already there like they said.
speud
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by speud »

yes i agree with SSJKarma, anyway even if you burn each game on a separate cd you still have to make a choice in all your cd, the only difference to me is its more expensive and annoying, but its nice its implemented as some people like it
http://blueswirl.fr.st - DC Online Tools and Downloads

thx to Wack0 for the avatar ;)
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Well Ive found if you have 300+ games on a cd I only play each a few mins i want to play or try the next one and then the next one. I doubt im the only one.

So to me forcing one's self to only chose the games you really like I will not have 60+ cds maybe 5 cd's if your lucky. Each matching the carts i own they take up more space then a cd i have cd wallets a 100 in each only about is big as a snes box each. Thats just homebrew and my own stuff.

But 300+ games no one owns, that If they do they have not finshed each game. It's Nice the emulator lets you do what you, want frameskip, one game disks, this just makes it, that much more free, and makes me want to use it. When it's fullspeed i would have about 5 single cds, manily RPG's of which you cant play more then one at a time so thats my point i like to finsh each game and not move to the next one and then the next one it's sort of manic disorder, You see with 300+ games you want to try each one. I dont believe any one puts 300+ games on and only plays one game till they finsh it.

With one game cd you have to get into the game more If you dont want to play it why included it on a collection of 300+ games?? . Snes games were up to $50 each brand new here so it's great you can get that cart feel back one cd games give me back that feeling Im sure it does to others were you wait 4 weeks or more just to get one snes game.

Any way I have collections of both, also you can make a multi session cd thats what i do for nesterdc and burn maybe 5 games at a time and play them really well Say a rpg night , etc.

When there's so many to chose from i get lost trying one more game then trying that one And i never get to play any thing. In the end big rom collections take away that X factor that made you play the games you did. I doubt many games would be as good in our memorys if we had 400+ to chose from each time the snes booted up.??????
Dreamcast forever!!!
jamesh
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by jamesh »

Sorry to bump a fairly old post, but here's a theme I made.

And here is a zip file with all of the images, the font, and the Mario World intro song. Let me know if there is anything else I need to add to this to make it complete.

http://www.geocities.com/hoju5353/SuperMarioWorld.zip

EDIT: Damn, wrong thread. This was meant to go in the SuperFamicast themes thread. :oops:
DemoniusX
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by DemoniusX »

I like having buch of roms on one CD, convience :D
no other company in the gaming world will ever have the originality that sega and nintendo have to offer, PEROID. xbox and sony take a HIKE!!!!!
sbz -04-
DemoniusX
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by DemoniusX »

no other company in the gaming world will ever have the originality that sega and nintendo have to offer, PEROID. xbox and sony take a HIKE!!!!!
sbz -04-
DemoniusX
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by DemoniusX »

sbz -04-
Skater_dusto
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by Skater_dusto »

Wow, triple post. :wink:

I agree with Ian. There's no debating this, if you want to make a single game disc then you can, if you like a million games on one cd then you can do that as well. Both parties are satisfied.

I personally think that I'm less intrigued to play a game if there's also a million other games on the same cd... I just lose interest and play another, then repeat the cycle over. Single game cd's, here I come. :)

Scherzo, excellent work on Super Famicast!!! Awesome name to go with your emulator, which is also pretty awesome as well!!
Storminator16
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Storminator16 »

Cool SMW theme, gamesh, but maybe you should have made your own post ;)

/me wonders why there is no Super Famicast forum.