Sharing a pc's net conection

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
DjB
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Sharing a pc's net conection

Post by DjB »

This doesent have anything to do with the pc-dc conection. What i wanted to ask was that if i took my dc to a freinds house that had dial-up would i be able to use their connection to get my dc on the net? Is so what information would i need to get.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Yes, you would. I have no idea where you would find information on Australian ISPs, however.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

This is what I know of dialup and DC internet.

If you wanna use any Aussie ISP on your DC, you can. Unless it requires software (AOL for example).

Having said that, you can also connect a DC and PC to the same internet connection both dialed into it from different phone lines. Here's what I mean: My dad was on OzEmail and when my bro came to my mums house (my house) we dialed the ISP on the PC but couldn't connect due to his pc already being dialed into it. However, when dialing with the DC I *could* connect without a problem for me or my dad (connected at his place on his pc).

As I say, there is no reason any ISP can't be used to dial on the Dreamcast, with the exception of software specific ISPs.

Information needed:
Username
Password
Proxy (if needed)
DNS (if needed)
Phone number :roll:

That's basically it. Unless of course you wanna receive email, etc.
And oh yeah, a browser would come in handy or a game that is still online :wink:
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
DjB
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by DjB »

How do i find out if a proxy or a dns is needed?
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Ask the person of whom you are using the internet connection of. Generally I don't think they're needed as most ISPs are not using them any more, I think. And I've only used DNS once or twice on my DC and I've had quite a few ISPs in that time. I think as a general rule, you don't need them.

Also, what ISP are you talking about? Check their website for the dialup info, most of the time they have it available. Or if you just tell me the ISP, I might know. I've had a number of ISPs and no people that have had quite a few.

DjB
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by DjB »

I should be able to tell you soon as the freind i was planning on doing it with decided to get cable but another freind is about to get dail up.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Okee Dokee meester.

Just ask if you need info :wink:

It's good to help a fellow Aussie :mrgreen: